Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • The Horror!- Curry related Serious Car Valeting in the Midlands?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Right, at the weekend my wife did this to my car-

Before you feel sick, that’s curry. We had a large pot of curry for a family do and in her wisdom instead of putting it on the rear seats which I’d folded down for her she put it on the front seat. So what you see there is about 3 litres of chicken tikka sauce and all of a 2″ thick layer of oil on top.

We have a family member who has a garage who will take the seat out and pressure wash it then keep the seat for a week while we take the car with its seat out for a serious valet. However, he’s about 1 3/4 hours away so we could do with someone more local. Is there anyone, ideally between Nottingham and Derby or in Sheffield who could do this?

I had a quick look on ebay for a new seat but it’s for a special edition and there’s not any one there, and I’d be willing to bet that if there were it’d be the more common wrong colour. I dread to think what a new one will cost…

z1ppy

oohhh, nothing useful to add…. that’s nasty, good luck! 😳

Houns

Vax/carpet cleaning machine? Seat should be easy to remove yourself

maxray
    Free Member

Get stuck in with a fork! 😛

wwaswas

quick scrape and?

bloke I knew broke a bottle of whisky in his car. For about a year afterwards every time he got back to it on a sunny day it smelt like a distillery.

slowoldman

Curry. Floor. That’s the rule.

hora
    Free Member

****. thank **** its not milk that’d be truly horrific.

All I can say is keep going at it with cleaner. The issue is it’ll have soaked into the foam below the top fabric which means no matter what it’ll never smell right.

The best thing to do is focus on the carpet below- that’ll be fine then keep a look out for breakers/salvage of same era cars on ebay for a seat to swap over.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab and pal catered a friends wedding. The salmon ‘juice’ that ended up in the same place took 2 years of fabreeze squirting every time you got in to get rid of the smell.
    Insurance claim?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh that’s not nice. I’d be getting a carpet cleaner ASAP and working on it repeatedly.
    If you want to remove the seat (would be better) just be careful if there’s any airbags in it as they can be triggered quite easily by messing with the electrical contacts.
    A replacement seat may be the best bet in the long run. Fabric seats suck.

tomd
    Free Member

That’s properly grim. Maybe worth pricing up a new or 2nd hand seat as even after a lot of bother it will probably still stink and oil will seep out over time.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Hope you hosed her off before she set foot in the house, or at least dabbed with a warm naan?

pictonroad

nothing helpful to add, sorry.

My mate borrowed his Mum’s car for a holiday job delivering curries for 2 months. They had to sell the car, the smell could not be eliminated.

kcal

actually, insurance claim isn’t a bad shout. You’ll take ages to get the smell out as it is…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Bit loathe to claim at the minute (both drivers mid 20’s and claims will add a lot to the renewal).

Fun fact- Madison, the Shimano importer, made their money by inventing the Magic Tree. Is it worth me buying shares in them?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Id be wary of pressure washing it, car seats are full of electrics these days for the airbag etc.

Unless you can live with the smell I’d be phoning the insurance company.

hora
    Free Member

Claim?!!

The Insurance company would look at the cost of a replacement new seat and fitting etc by a dealer. I’m guessing that it’d be 1k+ min (total guess but its not a 2seater from DFS territory is it).

That plus the OP’s excess and future premiums etc- why claim?

Just keep a lookout for a similar car being salvage/scrapped IMO.

steveh

Get it to the local valet place and see what they can do. They’ll be used ot dealing with stains etc and while it may not be perfect it’ll likely buy you enough time to find a new second had one. Will only cost about 50 quid ish too.
    If it needs more after that revert to plan one but I’d definitely start with this.

hora
    Free Member

There is another option- the fabric cover is possibly removable. Have a look at this (check for seams/zips etc). If you can remove you’ll get access to the foam base. However if it has a side airbag(?) I’d go the whole replacement route (disconnect battery/disconnect underseat connectors).

rickmeister

How about Ebay for a new seat or cover ?

kcal

smell will never really go away. Up to you but I’d be trying to get it sorted properly..

munrobiker
    Free Member

Finding a second hand seat will be hard- the car is a fairly new and not especially common special edition (the oldest are from 2011) and the seats are specific to it. Not only that, but 95% of them come with red seats not the grey in mine. None are on ebay in either colour.

unovolo
    Free Member

Nice try at a cover up sorry but thats a ‘Shart’ If ever I saw one!

sandwicheater

I see the car restoration programs always know a guy who can put new foam into old seats, may be worth finding the firms who can do this if you have no joy replacing the seat. That smell will be around for a long time to come.

hels
    Free Member

I would go to the wreckers and get a whole new seat. Otherwise you are looking at taking off and nuking it from orbit.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Nice try at a cover up sorry but thats a ‘Shart’ If ever I saw one!

A mate did shit himself in the passenger seat of my old car. Maybe I should just remove the passenger seat from my next car?

lemonysam
    Free Member

A mate did shit himself in the passenger seat of my old car. Maybe I should just remove the passenger seat from my next car?

philb88
    Free Member

Midlands Car Care in Walsall?

hora
    Free Member

Whats the car? It looks like a VAG group car? If so 4yrs into production and they’ll be a fair few out there at breakers.

Also – my car. Theres shedloads of parts/cars breaking and thats for a car thats rare (700 registered in the UK on the roads for all mark’s dating back to 1994).

richteabiscuit
    Free Member

As above, look up an auto trimmer local, pick up a seat on eBay or breakers. Fit second hand seat in car,take the curried one to trimmer and ask if he’ll pick the cloth off, then after a session in Vanish and some dettol wash get him to swap the cloth over onto new seat base.
    Shouldn’t cost much, I’ve used a guy who does motorhomes and boat seats. the seats repaired in my old motors look as new.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Damn, that’s an epic waste of good food. I take you have booked in to see a divorce solicitor?!

klunky
    Free Member

Have you considered setting your car on fire and claiming that from the insurance?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I wondered about having a write-off level crash with the wife in the passenger seat. All problems solved then.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Never again am I going to yell at the kids for dropping food on the seats…

all the best munro with the clean up /replacement

bearnecessities

Don’t worry about it, it’s only the pathianger seat.

hora
    Free Member

This is how Korma repays you.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh, by the way, apparently this is my fault for not telling her to put it in the back.

So, to save my marriage, I will have this vent here-

WHY IN THE NAME OF GOD WOULD YOU PUT A POT OF HOT CURRY WITH NO LID, LET ALONE A SECURE ONE, ON THE PASSENGER SEAT OF MY CAR INSTEAD OF THE NICE, FLAT FOLDED DOWN REAR SEATS WITH A BOOT LINER COVERING THEM. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHH.

Rice to hear that this thread is descending into puns…

wwaswas

there was no lid on it?

I can’t see how having it slop out all over the folded down back of the rear seat would have been any better, tbh?

hora
    Free Member

OP you could Tikka to the Divorce courts? Unless of course she has a Bhuna in the oven

bearnecessities

It’s a fair point, to properly secure during transit you should use bunghee cords.

willjones
    Free Member

#EPICPHALL

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘The Horror!- Curry related Serious Car Valeting in the Midlands?’ is closed to new replies.