• This topic has 68 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • The Hateful Eight – Any good? (No spoilers please)
  • sootyandjim
    Free Member

Tarantino’s best character?

rone

I think Tarantino hit a low point with Kill Bill to be honest, the only films of his I don’t actually like at all. (Actually Death proof is to be ignored)

Since Inglorious Basterds things have got better. But actually Django wasn’t that great either especially with Tarantino taking up the scene at the end.

Jackie Brown is a sterling work, rewarding patience. And I think the only film that’s not his source material which is why it’s different and more restrained – to an extent.

Pulp Fiction remains the one to beat, purely because of its freshness at the time. It revitalised cinema.

AlexSimon

It’s funny – maybe I need to watch Inglorious Basterds again, but I thought it was his worst. Almost unwatchable.
    Love Jackie Brown. Especially Robert Forster as Max Cherry.

Enjoyed Hateful 8, but I’m not in a hurry to watch it again, whereas I have watched Dogs/JB/PF a few times and enjoyed every viewing.

Enjoyed Django too – haven’t seen it a second time yet though.

I think maybe I’ve seen enough of Samuel L. Jackson in Tarrantino movies now though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it, it’s a bit of a departure for him, it’s longer and slower and more artfully shot than any of his previous films. He decided to film it all in this massive 70mm film format which supposedly gives greater detail, especially in the HUGE widescreen shots of snow covered horizons and all that, yeah it looks lovely, but how much you can actually see if all that effort I don’t know, especially at home.

The dialog of course makes a Tarantino film and this is no exception, SLJ gets most of the best lines, but there’s some good characters in it.

Sorta spoilers below,

In the way that a lot of his films are linked in some way – I think I read Hateful 8 started out at a sequel of sorts to Django Unchained – Marquis (Jackson) originally was going to be an older post-civil war Django and the story would fit, but it wasn’t to be.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

He decided to film it all in this massive 70mm film format which supposedly gives greater detail, especially in the HUGE widescreen shots of snow covered horizons and all that, yeah it looks lovely, but how much you can actually see if all that effort I don’t know, especially at home.

Haven’t seen it on a home cinema or TV screen but the 70mm showing that I went to looked **** fantastic. The outdoor scenes especially but it gave an extra wide view of the indoor stuff so you can see a lot of the other characters in the background. Thought it worked really well. Almost gave it the feeling of watching a 2 scene play.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Watched it in 1080 at home 60″ screen and it does convey the depth outdoors and some of the indoor camera work and focus shifts were excellent, a technical master piece really.

rone

I have to say all the buzz of 70mm was a bit of a let down lensing wise, especially on the back of the Revenant where the cinematography was incredible. That said it tickled Tarantino’s nerd box for using the format.

(Not that I saw the roadshow version)

Steelfreak
    Free Member

If you like sharp dialogue, (very) black humour and gallons of blood (eventually) and if you dislike Hollywood-style endings then you will like The Hateful Eight.

Kuco

I loved the Hateful Eight. Very funny, all the characters I thought were great.

chestrockwell

Hateful 8 reminds of Reservoir Dogs but set in a log cabin. The dialogue and action are typical Tarantino. It’s not as good as IB or Pulp Fiction, but it’s very obvious who directed it. The character development and cinematogphy are also off the chart. f you’re a fan of the dialogue then you’ll enjoy it. If you like a bit more going on that lots of talking (a la Dogs, Kill Bill Vol 2, Death proof) then you’ll not enjoy it so much.

This really, having watched it last night. Enjoyed it but not his best or worst.

Harry_the_Spider

Saw it last night and thought it was very good. “Did he blink?”

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i thought it dragged on a bit, but i do remember being very tired when we saw it so i was already a nodding dog.. need to give it a second chance.

Pulp Fiction and Dogs are my favourites for sentimental reasons but id say Jackie Brown is his best, with Basterds close… i know it gets a lot of hate but i really liked Deathproof too! which has another legendary OST, and also my biggest ever film crush for Mary Elizabeth Winstead in that Cheerleader outfit!!

Harry_the_Spider

Maybe I need to watch Jackie Brown again.

Drac

I like Jackie Brown but really for me it’s not his best. Basterds or Django take that title for me.

zippykona

Is it worse than Dusk to Dawn?

AlexSimon

zippykona – Member

Is it worse than Dusk to Dawn? Get out!

chestrockwell

He didn’t direct dusk till dawn, his mate Robert Rodriguez did. It’s ace btw. 8)

twoniner
    Free Member

Must say that on my patented Film Disappointment Scale, ‘The Hateful Eight’ came in a solid Prometheus.

It is by far the weakest Tarantino film, especially so given the hype.

What he said ^^^

AlexSimon

came in a solid Prometheus.

That’s what I thought of Basterds. Some on here think it’s his best. Just the way it is.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Life is a rich tapestry, it would be boring if we all agreed on stuff

Pulp Fiction
    Inglorious
    Django
    Hateful
    Jackie Brown – never watched but will do so
    Kill Bill – switched off, will never bother again
    Kill Bill 2 – never bothered given KB 1
    Reservoir – never finished watching – switched off twice

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Kill Bill – switched off, will never bother again
    Kill Bill 2 – never bothered given KB 1

Totally different films imo. The first all action, the 2nd hardly any. Give it a go, you might like it.

Spin
    Free Member

It’s post Pulp Fiction Tarantino so it will be crap.

jambalaya
    Free Member

jambalaya
    Free Member

@whatno – you are right I should give it a go … too “closed minded”

vintagewino
    Free Member

I thought JB was boring as ****! though that was when I used to go to the cinema baked out of my tree, so maybe it’s worth a re-watch.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I have to agree I didn’t enjoy Kill Bill 1 and barely skipped over 2.

Didn’t like Grindhouse or Deathproof either.

Loved the rest though, they’re strange films really, no one talks like that in real life – it’s like a poetry recital, but they’re usually a lot of fun. It’s a toss up between Django unchained and Inglorious Basterds for my favorite.

athgray
    Free Member

Just watched Jackie Brown for the first time after reading this thread. I really liked it over his more wacky output. Great performances and a tender understated love story running through it. I like the slow pacing.
    When Tarantino is on form I love listening to what can be called mundane everyday dialogue between characters.

tomd
    Free Member

I watched Hateful 8 the other night with the wife. It was enjoyable if a bit a long.

It was a shame we watched on a small screen because occasionally you could see some really interesting cinematography and goings on in the background but a lot of this was lost on a laptop screen. As a result of not getting the benefit of the wide format it felt like it dragged in places.

I’d give it 4* oo 5. Mainly for the craft that went into it plus the interesting characters.

hora
    Free Member

Here’s my review: Take the number out of the film title.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘The Hateful Eight – Any good? (No spoilers please)’ is closed to new replies.