Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The great wilderness – a big-mountain adventure in NW Scotland (blog & pics)
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I thought this might appeal to some of you, I’ve done a feature with pictures from a bit of an epic ride across the Fisherfield Forest area in June this year.

The Great Wilderness

Just launched the blog this week, please have a nosey around the site and let me know what you think. “Like” on FB and follow on Twitter and Insta if it’s your sort of thing.

(Mods – I hope it’s OK to link this on the forum – it’s non-commercial)

1-shed
    Free Member

Nice little blog and looks like you had a great ride.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Lovely that Stace, not jealous at all, not me, nope! no siree!
    pretty jealous, cos it looks Ace 8) 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I’ll be doing another write-up from the same trip at some point soon Tony so keep ’em peeled.

Here’s the FB page if anyone else is as technically challenged as I’m feeling today…
    https://www.facebook.com/undurobike

🙂

matt_outandabout

bedmaker

You found the cowshit bog out of Poolewe then?? 😉

Amazing place, spent a glorious couple of days there back in May.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

thanks for the pics, the only time rode through there the cloud base was at about 15ft. Would love to go back and do it again..

chakaping
    Free Member

You found the cowshit bog out of Poolewe then??

It was letting the side down a bit.

😀

the only time rode through there the cloud base was at about 15ft.

I was disappointed the light was a bit flat for photos, could have been worse though I suppose!

chakaping
    Free Member

BTW there was a fella on here recently posting about riding in the opposite direction.

Can’t imagine that being so pleasant but has anyone tried it?

duncancallum

Ahhh I saw this on rivy mtb. It’s always weird trying to work out if someone’s the same person.

I enjoyed it. My missus does a blog too.

I want To go to lower diabaig…

scotroutes

The HTR550 route does it in the opposite direction (Dundonnel to Poolewe)

cinnamon_girl

*likes. Stunning pics and sounded a great day. 🙂

felltop

Opposite way round works best for me. Oh, and to avoid the Shenneval climb/descent, I offer one clue – Achnegie.

chakaping
    Free Member

I will get the mall out later, ta.

Probably gonna be next year before I get up there again though.

🙁

Hi Duncan, I saw your Scotland pics on the rivi page a while ago. Makes a refreshing change from pictures of bikes at the pike.

🙂

duncancallum

Cheers.

That n two lads is the default…

Was it you with the awesome cloud inversions’

dufusdip
    Free Member

Great blog – thanks for sharing.

scuttler

Enjoyed that enough to get the maps out! I was up on An Teallach last year and looking out across Fisherfield thinking of such exploits.

I want to go to Lower Diabaig too. Definitely a place to lower the blood pressure.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Don’t suppose you have a strava ride or similar of the route?

Looks great.

bullroar
    Free Member

BTW there was a fella on here recently posting about riding in the opposite direction.

That was me, I was asking about riding it. Consensus seemed to be the other direction to the blog post. Not done it yet, postponed till next year.

Anyway I enjoyed the read certainly seems like an adventurous day out, good effort.

highlandman
    Free Member

OP- nice one, good effort and well written. Always good to see someone planning to scratch this special sort of itch, then succeeding.

Stayed at Lower Diabaig once for a week; peaceful place it is. Not handy for Annat and the Torridon Inn, but has its compensations.

BSM- with great respect, maybe plan to get some more mountain time and nav skills before tackling this sort of ride. If you need Strava to find and follow the route, then maybe you’re missing the reason many folk love this ride. And please, never rely on technology…

Finally, just for Felltop: there is an easier way still- the road round by Gairloch! 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

A good read, thanks! Seems almost crazy that we’re in the same country*, it’s a world away from the chalk hills by the south coast where I live. I’ve never biked in Scotland but many moons ago I ‘enjoyed’ a trek around the Cairngorm plateau discovering what it’s like be snowed on in mid-summer and that sleeping in a bothy is not always the most comfortable (or dry) experience. One day I’ll get up there with a bike!

* According to the UN!

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

BSM- with great respect, maybe plan to get some more mountain time and nav skills before tackling this sort of ride. If you need Strava to find and follow the route, then maybe you’re missing the reason many folk love this ride. And please, never rely on technology…

Your right, I am not worthy. I’ll just forget all my nav skills and previous mountain experience and go on a nice jaunt at GT instead. If I can get round the red without following a strava route that is!

Or maybe I just wanted a quick look to tie up with a map later. Your right though, I really wanted to plug it into my non-existent Garmin and follow a little arrow for 8 hours.

😆

highlandman
    Free Member

Good lad, no offence intended!!!
    It’s a stonking day out in proper terrain.
    I hate getting involved in clearing up the mess when folk bite off more than they can chew…

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

I hate getting involved in clearing up the mess when folk bite off more than they can chew…

Good point, and no offence taken.

scuttler

@BSM – my first thought was Strava != a day out in the mountains so I’m with highlandman on the jumping to conclusions front. And personally speaking articles like this just make me want to dig out the map (or walkhighlands.co.uk).

Anyway to me it looks something like this with a recommendation to take the arrowed extension at the end to avoid the slog up the shoulder of An Teallach.

felltop

This may help me decide what to do this weekend.

felltop

While I remember, the local name for this route is the “Trans Fisherfield”.

felltop

While I remember, the local name for this route is the “Trans Fisherfield”.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for the nice comments.

re. Strava – I did think about putting a widget up to link to the route, but thought it could be irresponsible. The map above is a bit small for me but looks about right.

While I did whinge a bit about the climb round An Teallach in the post, I would still probably take the same route again if just for the scenery.

Was it you with the awesome cloud inversions’

No, I generally tend to take my pics at Two Lads at sunset.

😉

neilthewheel

Great,thanks! Will be up that way next easter but i’d expect to find it less welcoming at that time of year.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>While I remember, the local name for this route is the “Trans Fisherfield”.<

Hilarious.

chakaping
    Free Member

Great,thanks! Will be up that way next easter but i’d expect to find it less welcoming at that time of year.

Was lovely up there at Easter last year.

My pal makes a pilgrimage up every year at Easter and usually gets some good weather.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘The great wilderness – a big-mountain adventure in NW Scotland (blog & pics)’ is closed to new replies.