Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The great press-fit BB conundrum.
  • bohngy
    Free Member

I’ve been out of the mtb game for a while (last bike was a 26″ anthem) and whilst looking for a new steed, my triumphant return has been derailed by the whole press-fit malarkey.

I did a few searches online; “Are press fit bottom brackets any good” etc. only to find page after page of seething vitriol for the conspiracy of the bike industry to furnish their customers with a creaky, proprietary hell. I must admit, BSA was fit and forget, for me at least.

So my objection is that there isn’t any alternative. With the exception of Santa Cruz, it seems the entire world has gone press-fit crazy. So I was wondering what the general consensus was here in good ol’ Blighty. Do they stand the test of time, or do I hold on to my cashola until a better solution is rolled out?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve had a pressfit BB bike for 2 years and am on a 3rd bottom bracket. It’s more of a faff to fit- last time I did it it took me about 20-25 minutes. For contrast on Wednesday I whipped out a standard HT2 bb and replaced it in about 3 minutes. This was just to fit a chain device- it’s many years old and there’s no problem with it.

You can fit a proper bottom bracket to a BB30 frame using one of these-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-bb30-conversion-kit/

Which if I were building a bike from scratch again I probably would- my bike came with BB30 cranks so I’m stuck with them.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I’ll get in early on this one before the haterz turn up…

My impression from endless debates on this and other forums is that most of the people having problems are either BB30 users or carbon frames. If you’ve got a BB30 in a carbon frame then you’re clearly doomed, but if you go for a Shimano BB92 in an ally frame you’ll have a better chance of living beyond the end of the year.

Personally I only use XTR PF BBs and routinely replace them each annual service, and I haven’t had a problem. I’ve also invested in the proper tools for fitting them, which only seems sensible, and same as I would with everything else on my bike.

whitestone
    Free Member

Press fit BBs are the result of manufacturers looking to reduce their costs. If you want carbon fibre then SC seem to be the only show in town but other frame materials still use threaded BBs

bohngy
    Free Member

Hmmm… I must admit, that’s a correlation that I didn’t spot. I am looking at a racey XC bike so it is carbon-framed. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lightweight alloy XC/marathon bike. Maybe a Salasa Spearfish or similar?

Years ago I had a first generation Cannondalse Synapse. It was the base, 105 model and Cannondale had glued in a BB30 to BSA adapter. It worked well, but the chain line was awful. This really does seem like a schoolboy error on behalf of the bike biz.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have also owned a Shimano BB92 bike. It lasted longer than a BB30, but still not as long as a BSA and was more difficult to replace.

Garry_Lager

Quite like the BB30 set up I have with a couple of cannondales – simplest set-up, just two bearings direct in the frame, trivial to replace.
    The potential headache with them is that they creak – mine haven’t, by and large, but for sure this has been an aggravation for some folk.

I have a press fit 92 bb in another bike, which is a normalish, plastic bb shell that you press into the frame. Bit tricky to replace the bearings using my screwdriver approach to bike maintenance (the shell is easily damaged), but the whole bb is cheap anyhow.

bohngy
    Free Member

What do you have now munrobiker? I don’t mind if it’ s’more difficult to replace, but did it last an acceptable amount of time and was it quiet? I refuse to have a bike that creaks and groans under power. Well, what little power I have anyway! 😕

dragon
    Free Member

Press fit BBs are the result of manufacturers looking to reduce their costs.

Exactly. The Sky Team don’t (won’t?) use them on their Pinarello’s so that tells you everything.

nemesis
    Free Member

No doubt they are a cost reduction thing but I haven’t had any issues with the two bikes I have with them – BB86 and BB92

weeksy

munrobiker – Member

I’ve had a pressfit BB bike for 2 years and am on a 3rd bottom bracket. It’s more of a faff to fit- last time I did it it took me about 20-25 minutes. For contrast on Wednesday I whipped out a standard HT2 bb and replaced it in about 3 minutes. This was just to fit a chain device- it’s many years old and there’s no problem with it.

You can fit a proper bottom bracket to a BB30 frame using one of these-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-bb30-conversion-kit/

Which if I were building a bike from scratch again I probably would- my bike came with BB30 cranks so I’m stuck with them.

Super, thanks for that. I’ve got a BB30 Spearfish currently with spacers to convert to HT2, but that solution looks better to me.

I was about to press the button on one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271825492711?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but not so sure on my plans now.

jonba
    Free Member

This has concerned me on recent bikes. I probably replace mine a couple of times a year on HT2 and it is quick and cheap.

But the idea of drifting out a BB and then pressing in a new one scares me a bit, will it not become a problem overtime if the frame gets worn?

Does anyone make a BB liek a headset where you press in cups and then simply replace bearings? That would mae the whole process simpler.

nemesis
    Free Member

I wrap mine in a couple of layers of ptfe tape anyway. If wear really was an issue, I’d just add another layer.

they’re a doddle to fit and remove FWIW.

tang
    Free Member

Im riding a new felt nine1 carbon ht frame, very pleased they have stuck with threaded bb!

weeksy

Just ordered one from Wiggle and a BB.

Thanks fella.

whitestone
    Free Member

@jonba The closest to that sort of setup is the Hollowtech II bottom bracket that was the de-facto standard until press-fit came along.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Bohngy- I have a Stumpjumper FSR Carbon with BB30. I don’t think they do last an acceptable amount of time- mine was completely goosed in about 8 months. I have had several times more life out of HT2.

Not had any creaking, though.

BigJohn

I did a few searches online

There’s your problem. As Winston Churchill famously said (or was it Oscar Wilde):

“History is written by the winners…internet product reviews are written by losers.”

dragon
    Free Member

The whole principle is a sh*t idea, only invented to save costs, nothing to do with engineering or the consumer.

TBH if they charged me £50 extra for a frame with an English threaded BB then I’d pay it every time.

iain1775
    Free Member

Does anyone make a BB liek a headset where you press in cups and then simply replace bearings? That would mae the whole process simpler

Hope one has replaceable bearings

crazy-legs

The press-fit BB on my carbon Specialized Crux is now clicking like a Geiger counter at Chernobyl.
    It’s been getting steadily worse recently but is now intolerable.

Had a new bearing in the drive side a while ago after a very muddy ride followed by a jetwashing but this is new, it’s never done this before.
    Guessing a whole new BB is required, might try fitting it with a layer or two of PTFE tape or carbon paste.

nickc

I’ve had a BB92 steel hardtail for a bit, and TBH the bearings are so cheap, and so easy to replace, (you can almost push them in by hand, and they’re hardly more difficult to get out) that they become almost a disposable item. Never had the creaking that seems to plague some folks.

Not as long lasting as HT11, but cheaper.

boblo
    Free Member

Does everyone remember the HT2 short life complaints? Now they are being cited as long lasting… 😀 How things move on.

whitestone
    Free Member

@boblo The shortest lifespan on my HT2 BBs (which are on all my bikes) is a year on my Hardtail. I’ve replaced the original raceface with a Hope BB. My commuter had a basic Shimano Deore that lasted nearly three years, replaced with the same and the one on my road bike (Hope ceramic) has lasted two years so far and done over 20,000Km.

So, yes a finite lifespan and therefore a consumable but I’m not too fussed with the lifetime I’m getting.

michaelbowden

I use a Praxis Works converter in my Carbon PF30 Stumpjumper so I can run standard HT2 type cranks.

It’ll be two years old mid summer, ridden all year removed once when i fully stripped the bike to clean it.

Garry_Lager

jonba – Member

This has concerned me on recent bikes. I probably replace mine a couple of times a year on HT2 and it is quick and cheap.

But the idea of drifting out a BB and then pressing in a new one scares me a bit, will it not become a problem overtime if the frame gets worn?

Does anyone make a BB liek a headset where you press in cups and then simply replace bearings? That would mae the whole process simpler. Wonder about this myself – much is made of the bb30 standard needing a higher degree of precision around the bottom bracket on fabrication, so bashing the bearings out on a semi-regular basis may not be best.
    The bb92 is like you describe with plastic cups and bearings – if you get the right tool you can knock the bearings out clean.

bohngy
    Free Member

Well, to be honest, I really do think it’s an unnecessary source of misery. I’m gonna check out felt bikes, for their standard 73mm BSA BBs.

It’s all going to change when we start using gearboxes… As soon as pinion make one sufficiently light.

Anyone know a cheap German Felt dealer? As in the Bike brand…. Not the cut-and-stick-when-you-were-Young kind.

bohngy
    Free Member

@tang can I ask where you got your Felt from?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had a carbon bike with a BB30. The original BB lasted about a month.

I tried a wheels one, which ended up needing to be glued in place (they have a history of ‘walking’ out of the d/s cup). That started creaking after a couple of months.

Tried a Praxxis one, which screwed together in the middle – best design in that respect. Also creaked a lot though. bearings were rough after a few months too.

Wife had a bike with a BB92, she ran a Dura-Ace BB in it for about 3 years. Never creaked, never touched it. I’ve had a bike with a BB92 for about 6 months now. I fitted a GXP adapter on day one, never creaked, never touched it since. Bearings are still smooth.

Given the choice, i’d rather have a normal threaded BB, but it wouldn’t put me off a bike (well, BB30 might).

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve got a PF30 on my carbon Stumpy and a Shimano press fit on an aluminium TCR. The PF30 is a nightmare, bearings seem to last about 6 months(absolute max), I’ve had 3 different brands in now. Shimano press fit seems OK, I’ve only ever used Shimano BB’s and the bearings seem to last longer than the unit doesn’t creak, which will bother some more than others. TCR should only get used in the dry from now so it might be creak free for longer? We’ll see. The Hope/Praxis offerings look the best IMO but I’m yet to try them.

pirahna
    Free Member

I’ve got a PF30 on my bike. I’m using a SRAM adaptor and a Chris King threaded bracket. No problems at all.

bohngy
    Free Member

There’s a bb30 conversion kit just listed In the “for sale” section if anyone is interested!

T1000
    Free Member

with BB’s, Inverse Moore’s Law applies regarding durability…

weeksy

Oh bollo* I think I’ve ordered the wrong bit.

I ordered that one from Wiggle to go in my Spearfish, but the Fish is a PF BB30 which I think is a 46mm Dia hole, which I think I need more like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361132591338?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

skiprat
    Free Member

I have a Hope press fit BB in my Zesty. Its been in over 2 years now and i’ve had to replace one set of bearing (which are the same size as the external ones). Once the cups are fitted and bolted together, you can knock the bearing out with a screwdriver and back in with a socket.

Fitted by the shop when i bought it, theres no need to buy the tools to fit/take out as bearings can be replaced as needed.

Press fit BB’s wouldn’t put me off a new frame or bike although my frame is ali and not carbon so don’t know about that side of things.

bohngy
    Free Member

D’you think the carbon frames that have aluminium inserts bonded into the frame (in the factory) ‘behave’ like alloy?
    I really can’t decide what to do. I was considering a Haibike Greed or possibly a Sleek, their full squish… The frames take bb92, but the prospect of having to constantly tinker with it and have it creaking is a real put-off.
    had a look at the reviews of a Felt Edict Nine, but they were pretty damning of it.

So… Any ideas for a bike with BSA BB? That doesn’t have a Santa Cruz Sticker on the downtube.

johnnystorm

Whatever the Lurcher has isn’t too bad as PF goes. The BBs are a tenner from Superstar and pop in and out really easily. Much less faff than the pf30 on my spearfish.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As the post a couple up suggested. The Hope system is a good idea for carbon or ally press fit frames.

The cups press in and then a spacer screws in to hold both cups together tight and square so they can’t creak. You can then knock the bearings out if or when the fail. It’s avaialble in all flavours of press fit combination, inc. an PF30 to 24mm shimano or GXP conversion.

It’s a little faffing to 1st install as it needs the hope special tool, or a bit of improvisation, but it once in it doesn’t need to be removed again, damaging frames like std press fit ones might.

crazy-legs

My LBS had a look at my Crux today, they built it up in the first place and they’re a great shop.

Very little on the market actually fits the 61mm Specialized OSBB “standard”; you need to fit spacers then a regular PF30 and the Hope screw-in press fit system won’t work with my 61mm shell / 30mm axle Rotor cranks. The whole thing is a compatibility nightmare. Meanwhile, the bike is basically unrideable, the noise coming from the BB is horrendous.

Tried various other fixes to rule out things like chainring bolts but it’s definitely the BB. 🙁

ton

crazy legs, i think PF46 fits specialized osbb.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘The great press-fit BB conundrum.’ is closed to new replies.