Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • The Garnin newbie Tech help thread
  • DenDennis
    Free Member

Thought I’d start this as there may be a few people who have availed themselves of decent deals on the edge (edge800 myself) and are scratching their heads a little to get up to speed…

I’ve got a question below, hopefully some users with the knowledge will be able to offer help. please add more queries/good help sites etc.
    Is it just me, or do garmin think they’re doing themselves a favour by adopting the apple style “find it all out by word of mouth” approach to user help??

anyway, 1st question:
    do you have to be careful when plotting start and end of a route?
    for example, I plotted a route on bikehike, downloaded as gpx and got it onto my garmin fine. now this was a loop, and the start and end were about 10m apart but about 100m up the road from my house.
    this meant that I passed the end point before going to the start point, and it just said ‘SE to end point’ all the way through my ride.
    question is, say you join a loop halfway through, does it allow you to do this, or will it keep telling you to go back to end?

thanks for any help 😀

BigJohn

I don’t know about the 800 but the 705 is about as user friendly as a cornered rat.

After about 120 hours of getting used to its foibles I can now use it without wanting to throw it in the nearest hedge. It’s logical – but in it’s own special way.

mooman
    Free Member

Had my 800 for 6 months now .. and still only using the most basic of its potential I would guess 😕

User-friendly it appears not. Best just to play with it, trial and error seems to help.
    It did help me out recently after I had been dropped in a maze of country lanes 40miles from home in an area new to me .. having depleted all energy in my legs .. so it was a life saver then to be honest. up until that time it was looked upon as an expensive waste of money ..

DenDennis
    Free Member

yep, not that easy to get started it seems.
    Mine did work off road but the navigation didn’t seem to like the fact that i’d gone past the end point too early…

anyway, some additional info for others, to collate a few useful tips on one thread.

mapping sites:
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx
    http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

some help tips:
    http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-edge-800/dummies-guide-to-the-garmin-edge-800/

other stuff off cp’s thread
    cp – Member

Here’s one to get you going of the British Isles

http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

There’s loads more here:-

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

DrP

If you pass a point, they will often keep pointing you back at it. If you’stop navigation’ then ‘follow route’ again, it will point you towards the nearest/next waypoint, not just back to the start.
    A bit of a faff , but works…

DrP

DenDennis
    Free Member

cheers DrP- will try that next time..!

MarkN
    Free Member

Why re invent the wheel.. This may help.

Dummies Guide to the Garmin Edge 800

hugor
    Free Member

I find that if a course has a loop on it and then returns to a point, the navigator will try and skip the loop. Its caused me to miss some important parts of rides.
    Alot of rides that I download cross themself and the navigator doesn’t realise which direction I need to go to continue past the intersection of the route. Not sure if that makes sense.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

If the 800 is quite difficult to use does anyone have a suggestion for a similar user friendly piece of kit?

Chew
    Free Member

Have you tried downloading the file as a ‘track’ rather than a ‘route’? The Garmin will then know its one long route, rather than a set of linked waypoints to be linked. It doesnt care if you miss a waypoint it just gets you back to your track.

hugor
    Free Member

All my courses are saved as tracks rather than routes.
    For longish rides loads of waypoints clog up the machine and are more tedious to remove later.
    Tracks can be deleted in one click.

DrP

The other thing that, in my hunt on the web many years ago when I first got my 605, was a file called .gpxfix’ that you store in your .gpx folder, and when you click on it it says ‘gpx files all fixed’ and makes sure the route follows waypoints in order – solving the issue of loops/passing near waypoints taking you off track.
    I can’t remember the site I got it from, but if you Google for it, it’ll come up!

This will solve Hugo’s problem!

DrP

phil56

OK – totally confused!
    I’ve just opened the box – so right at the beginning!
    First question – the preprogrammed data card that came in the box is an SD card – the Garmin 800 has a slot for a microSD card – if the SD card holds the GB map, how do you load it?!!

Coleman
    Free Member

Should be a micro sd inside the included sd adapter?

phil56

Of course it is!!
    Note to self – don’t start playing with toys you don’t understand half way through a bottle of Malbec!

hugor
    Free Member

First question – the preprogrammed data card that came in the box is an SD card – the Garmin 800 has a slot for a microSD card – if the SD card holds the GB map, how do you load it?!!

Put the programmed microSD card into your garmin. Install mapsource and connect the Garmin.
    Mapsource has an option at the top that will say receive from device.
    When you click that, one box will say maps. Check that and your mapset will be installed on your computer as well.
    It takes a very long time.

hh45
    Free Member

Good thread that I shall return to when my 800 is returned from headquarters where it is being fixed for getting damp despite being weatherproof. It really is the worst and most expensive recommendation Singletrack has ever issued to me. Really, I would rather just have my money back but maybe one day they will boither to fix it or replace it.

phil56

I’m starting to feel really thick!
    After failing to figure out how to fit the Micro SD card last night, and blaming the red wine, on this mornings ride I couldn’t get the 800 to work at all!
    How do you just display a map and your location on the map?!!

Currently struggling to get this ‘bargain’ toy to do what my android phone does for free and effortlessly!

hugor
    Free Member

I’ve been using the 705 for 3 years now.
    To shuffle between screens you push the mode button. I’m not familiar with the 800 as I’ve got no reason to upgrade at this point.
    Garmins are worth persisting with IMO.
    Mine has been through loads of water and crashes and is still going strong.
    One big crash I had ripped the bike mount off the bars and the garmin unit was found 20 metres down the trail. It was fine.

djflexure

Hi Phil

The 800 is fine once you get used to the process. These devices have a variety of configurable screens. The data screen comes first, you can choose any number to scroll through but to start with one is fine. The map screen will then be next. This can be set up as map only or hybrid map + data (speed etc). On the 800 you swipe (like an iphone) to go to the next screen or hit the arrow button. After that are virtual partners and other stuff. These can all be set not to show if you prefer.
    Download basecamp and connect the device; your maps will show on computer screen. This is quite nice.You can then plot a track and follow it. Basecamp has an on computer collection. You need to make sure that your track is saved on the device as well.

phil56

djflexure – thanks! I’ve found the map at last!

DenDennis
    Free Member

Chew – Member

Have you tried downloading the file as a ‘track’ rather than a ‘route’?

will try this- ‘gpx track’? any difference or reason to use tcx or other files?

do most people use basecamp or the other bikehike type sites for their route planning? cheers

hugor
    Free Member

any difference or reason to use tcx or other files?

I use Garmin Training Centre to communicate with the unit and it requires tcx files.
    I use memory map software for planning routes – it can save in any format then you send them to the device with Training Centre.
    Most places to download routes from have them in gpx formax.
    I convert them to tcx files using this free software.
    When you convert it gives you the option to save as a course or history file.
    I always use course.

phil56

Hugor – thanks for the advice. I use memory map as well, so I downloaded the Training Centre and the free tcx converter you recommended – works a treat.
    For today’s ride we have a map and a course on the new toy to play with!!
    Happy days.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Just found the micro SD card with the maps on !!! its part of the SD adapter supplied in the box 😯 .I bought this Garmin 800 for Mrs Stumpies road rides but it looks like I’m going to be the one at Garmin night classes at this rate.

Luther
    Free Member

I’m a Garmin newbie too and would be grateful for any thoughts on the relative merits of Basecamp and Mapsource.

Assuming I can use either which is best for:
    1) planning both road and off-road rides
    2) being able to view elevation etc.
    3) providing a way of exporting my ride to my Edge so I can follow it…

DenDennis
    Free Member

Hello, just keeping this thread alive with another dumbass question, and adding info.

Question: I don’t quite get yet when to use the ‘Lap/Reset’ button and when to use ‘Start/Stop’ button….
    Is start/stop more to put in say a pause at a cafe or whatever rather than for the beginning and end of tracking a ride?
    Or do you press start at the beginning of all rides, then stop at the end and reset to confirm end of your activity??
    sorry its not quite obvious to me yet….

thanks 😀

clowner
    Free Member

Start/Stop – Starts/stops recording an activity
    Lap – if recording an activity will split ride into several segments – usfull for short courses to compare perfomance on each circuit. Device can also be set to do this automatically based on position and other parameters
    Reset – On completing an activity and stoping hold the button to ‘save’ the activity and reset the stats ready for next activity. Completed activity can now be uploaded to where ever

mudshark
    Free Member

My Tips:
    – Don’t get it wet or feed it after midnight
    – Upload your rides to Strava to compete with other users

DenDennis
    Free Member

OK cheers, clowner, thanks. I think i get it now.
    Having not pressed reset every time is prob why its being showing a current activity over a long period of time….

Also I’m just copying the maps thing of the other thread for info here below now.

spangelsaregreat – Member

Hi,

EDIT to post:- here is a page that explains all you need to know about what I wrote below specifically for the Garmin 800. Google is your friend etc…….

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Articles/Item.aspx?id=119

What map formats does the Garmin 800 support?

I use my Motorola Defy (and previously a HTC Desire) as my bike computer. There is a program called Mobile Atlas Creator which allows you to grab open source maps from the Interweb and create maps for your device.

I use RunGPS and have created both OS maps which change scale as you zoom in from 1:50000 to 1:25000 etc. I have checked the program and it does allow to create them in the format Garmin Custom Map (KMZ).

If the 800 could use these maps it would save you buying the maps or having to faff about with scanning and calibrating the maps.

It does take a bit of time to create your maps and there is a bit of trial and error to get them to a usable size etc. But if you can waste time on STW forums you can equally waste it setting up your maps

An OS Map in 1:50, 1:25 and road atlas covering about a 30 miles from my house in all directions is about 230mb in size.

Regards

DenDennis
    Free Member

^
    loving the create maps feature from the link above, I’ve been looking at 1:25k using the old multimap tab…
    i guess most others may know but a cool thing I’ve been looking at is importing them into garmin basecamp to have a look rather than straight onto a microSD on the device.
    you can then fine tune course points against the 1:25k rather than the 1:50k scale used for creating in say bikehike..
    might be useful where all the wiggly bits arent quite shown on the 1:50k. the maps just drop right in very accurately. (also showing how inaccurate the base map is).
    also good to look at a saved ride plotted onto the 1:25k for nerdy map interest! 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘The Garnin newbie Tech help thread’ is closed to new replies.