Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • The front of my house just fell off too.
  • It looks a lot better in the photos than it does in real life. 😉
    I’m hoping to get the brickwork finished this week, so I’ll be starting on the woodwork then.
    I haven’t even done any sketches yet to work out how it’s all going to look and what timber to buy.
    As it’s a ridged roof plus a lean to, at some point I’m going to have to cut through the existing wall and roof to build the new ones.
    I still haven’t decided whether to go for purlins and rafters or trusses.

Zippy, not only are the rules a bit vague, there’s obviously a lot of people round here who have ignored them and got away with it. 😉

Trailmonkey, it’ll be brick walls up to floor level, then wooden walls above.
    The ground is level with the floor at the back, that’s why I’ve built the bricks three courses above ground level there.

trailmonkey

so essentially, you’re building a new house on top of that new wall that you’ve built ?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

So your chalet is one which does not have a condition precluding year-round occupation? In that case, it should benefit from Permitted Development rights to extend. As per the council policy document you linked to this could be up to 70cubic metres provided it hasn’t been extended since 1947, the extension doesn’t raise the ridge height or go forward of the building facing onto a public right of way etc etc.

I don’t really see what the 300mm issue is, or the significance of supporting the roof on the new wall as these issues would either be within PD rights or simply not be ‘development’ at all. I would have thought you could be subject to Building Reg’s though?

Anyway – sounds like you have it sorted and no need to wind the planners up – but if you did run in to any planning problems feel free to PM me and I will try and offer advice. (Not a council planner BTW) 😉

Thanks for the offer, Hamish.
    It’s all a bit confusing, what’s covered by Permitted Development, what needs Planning Permission and what’s on the secret list of guidelines that I wasn’t allowed to look at.
    I’ve had conflicting opinions about whether my bungalow has already been extended, using up part of the allowed 70m3. The main building is about 8mx4m, with an 8mx2.5m lean to at the back. Nobody knows when it was all built. When I made some enquiries a few years ago, the woman I spoke to thought the lean to was later addition, the people I’ve been dealing with recently made no mention of it.

Most of the bungalows round here have had major repairs, alterations or extensions, some of them way beyond what the guidelines allow.
    Everyone else seems to have got away with it, I’m just a bit concerned that I may have attracted attention to myself by asking questions first.

Finished the last of the concreting today.

I’m almost up to full height with this wall now, just the plinth bricks to go.
    I took this picture half way through to show the air bricks and the cheating English Bond, using blocks at the back and half bricks as headers.

Stoner
    Free Member

still looking tidy there G.

nice.
    Never seen a n air brick like that before.

will you remove the felt cladding?

have yo though about how you will insulate the new cladding?

The air brick is one of these;

With one of these behind;

I’ll be using Kingspan insulation. I’ve been watching a few lots of seconds on ebay to get an idea of the prices and it seems to be the best value.

Stoner
    Free Member

I thought mineral wool would be much cheaper than kingspan/foam products?

Because of the state of my place at the moment, I’ve got a bit of a phobia about using any sort of insulation that isn’t waterproof or that mice could chew through or nest in.
    I know, when I’ve got the walls sorted there shouldn’t be anywhere for water or mice to get in, I’d just rather not take the chance.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘The front of my house just fell off too.’ is closed to new replies.