Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The Friday Performance and Photography thread – The "Name Dropping" edition
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, go on then, let’s have a thread about sportspeople you’ve met/worked with/walked past in the supermarket etc.

You know the drill, let’s see some great sporting pictures (Clean, safe for work images only please!) on the topic above.

From me;

Had a couple of beers at the bar with Robin Smith at the Cowturds in Southampton, ages ago. Really nice, likable chap.

And a really tenuous one;

LeMond nearly ran me over in Paris once. Well, I say nearly ran me over, more the fact that he was in the passenger seat of the Z team car as I stepped blindly in to the road in front of it. 😳

So, over to you, get dropping those names. And pictures, of course!

iDave
    Free Member

I danced on a bar table with LeMond, after Atlanta 96. We may have been drunk.

Had a beer with Cadel Evans while my mate danced with his wife.

Took Heikki Kovalainen round Cwm Carn in 2003.

I’ll stop there….

MrSmith
    Free Member

spent a day with her in a muddy field in sheffield just before christmas on a photoshoot, nice girl and level headed, we discussed SPOTY and Mark Cavendish in particular both agreeing he would win.
    she’s tiny.

Tierry Henry, the only other notable that’s been in the studio.

BigJohn

Bjorn Dunkerbeck. The most tough, aggressive and single minded twelve time world champion windsurfer the world will ever see.

And when I met him in a bar in Gran Canaria he was the nicest, most humble bloke you would wish to spend half an hour with.

donsimon
    Free Member

I used to teach this guy.

I also had the pleasure of speaking to the Argentine champion of the same sport, wasn’t really a pleasure as he wanted to confirm that I was stealing his girlfriend. 😈
    have had various conversations with Alberto Contador, José Antonio Hermida, Paco Mancebo to name a few.

la vuelta 210908 122a por kala y simon, en Flickr

uci mountain bike world cup 240509 madrid 039 por kala y simon, en Flickr

uci mountain bike world cup 240509 madrid 041 por kala y simon, en Flickr

uci mountain bike world cup 240509 madrid 043 por kala y simon, en Flickr
    And last but not least.

uci world cup madrid 040508b 184aaa copia por kala y simon, en Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

Was chuffed to have met one of my favourite players, it was in Home nightclub, Leicester Square shortly before it was closed down.
    I was half cut, but had a little chat. Could see the bouncers moving in, but nice guy Matt gestured for them to go away.

Klunk
    Free Member

i upset this chap once

Klunk
    Free Member

watched this guy coach at close range

scary f**ker thats for sure.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ok so he’s not a Sports Person.

But I taught him to Ski in Austria………and that’s a sport :mrgreen:

mustard
    Free Member

Spent some time drinking with Hartley in Christchurch and Queenstown during that England tour in 2008.

ton

played rugby with this bloke in his 1st match for wakefield trinity.

the emperor of lang park, probably the best rugby league player ever.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Two true greats and both wonderfully modest down to earth men I had the pleasure of spending time with

kayak23

Had a drink with these guys once…. well, actually, when I say ‘had a drink’, they were just at the same pub as me at the Earthed premier..
    Cunny was there too, I expect he still talks about it today.

Went to a car boot sale in Brighton with Nick, well, actually, he just happened to be there…

Shared an uplift trailer with Tracy and Mark, well, actually, they just happened to be there..

Got on the lifts behind this nice Frenchman

Klunk
    Free Member

Chris Bailey was a really nice guy,

look on his face when the art director asked him to dive ! “Dive, I don’t Dive”.

trickydisco
    Free Member

my mates sister Jenny Jones

oldgit
    Free Member

Raced with this guy when I was younger

And this guy, pre Barcelona

MrSmith
    Free Member

bit tenuous really Kayak23, why not list the people who have been to the same places as you but you have never met too? 🙄

andyfla
    Free Member

Emma Pooley, rode with her in Zurich last summer, she was pottering uphill as I was waay beyond the red line.
    Absolutely lovely and far more intelligent than I

MrSmith
    Free Member

i once stood at a urinal next* to the famous comicbook artist and renowned keyring dealer Burt Joseph

*not right next to, i left a 1 urinal gap as is the custom.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im currently studying Heating and Ventilation with one of these two:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bit tenuous really Mr Smith, why not list the people who have been to work with you but aren’t famous too?

Once met these guys back stage at a gig, properly cool.

roper
    Free Member

I was friends with and worked with this chap when I was in London.

One of the nicest people you could meet and worked hard constantly trying to help other people and his local community.

vinnyeh

went right through school with, and played alongside for 10 years or so (until he made the 1st XV, and I never did), this chap.

Don’t expect anyone on here to have heard of him, mind. 😆

roper
    Free Member

It’s Bert isn’t it?

DezB
    Free Member

sportspeople??

ton

craig green, new zealand winger from the 80’s

therealhoops
    Free Member

I know the guy on the left quite well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oldgit, I’ve ridden the bike in the second picture there…! 🙂

Around a car park. 😳

I’ve skied with

Well, I say skied with, more like been left trailing behind as she shot off like a lunatic. Damn she’s fast! The rather inspirational Anna Turney.

nealglover
    Free Member

Once met these guys back stage at a gig, properly cool.

I was their driver for 8 days on a mini tour in Austria years back.
    Proper cool. And they tipped me biiiig too !

leggyblonde
    Free Member

lots of these photos are rubbish! it’s supposed to be a Photography thread, noy typical STW willy waving 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Told this guy that I didn’t care who he though he was he wasn’t going past me until he showed his Pass at a loughborough athletics meet.

Saw a guy wearing all this get up at the top of the Pleny one day though what a poser, then he set off and we clocked it was actually Cedric

maccruiskeen

Projected belly-buttonless heptathlete Kelly Sotherton and several other athletes onto the exterior of the arena and onto water screens around the entrance during the international indoor athletics champs.

thats me next to Curtis Brown’s ghostly elbow

Bear
    Free Member

played against this bloke years ago, and to make me feel old his son too!
    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00423/travel-graphics-200_423815a.jpg

DezB
    Free Member

Hot bloody Chocolate? twice? in a sports thread? I’m out.

samuri
    Free Member

Crossed the street to come and say hello to me.
    He said “Hi Ben….oh, sorry, I thought you were someone else”

(I used to look a lot like Ben Elton)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘The Friday Performance and Photography thread – The "Name Dropping" edition’ is closed to new replies.