Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The first naughty boy of le tour
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

It didn’t take long, first rest day and a Katusha rider has tested positive for a banned stubstance.

Apologies for it being in French by Chrome will translate it for you

atlaz
    Free Member

Under team rules, he is liable to pay a fine equal to five times his annual salary if his guilt is confirmed.

Ouch. Add to that the inevitable two year ban, that’s a lot of salary gone.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Good news that the dopers are getting caught.

charliedontsurf

This sort of thing is generally know by the team. Refered to as team orders at times.
    If they want to cut it out they need to ban the whole team.
    Assuming they want to cut it out….

CaptJon
    Free Member

Two players at the Women’s World Cup tested positive last week – very little was made of it, i wonder how the media will cover this.

bluebird
    Free Member

Two players at the Women’s World Cup tested positive last week – very little was made of it, i wonder how the media will cover this.

Yeah, and how many Premiership players would text positive on a Sunday morning after a night on the razzle dazzle?

MartinGT
    Free Member

Cycling does try hard to get dopers out unlike other sports.

The OP tone is what everyone else thinks 🙁 Shame really.

binners

Yeah, and how many Premiership players would text positive on a Sunday morning after a night on the razzle dazzle?

How cynical. You’re the kind of person who would suggest that Rio Ferdinand didn’t actually ‘forget to turn up’ to his drug test, but deliberately avoided it to avoid getting collared

Mind you: I don’t know how performance enhancing a great big bag of marching powder would be the next day though 😕

CaptJon
    Free Member

Mind you: I don’t know how performance enhancing a great big bag of marching powder would be the next day though

Speaking of which, i remember reading something from Paul Merson complaining that Wenger would give him (and other players) caffeine tablets before games. My irony meter broke.

bluebird
    Free Member

Mind you: I don’t know how performance enhancing a great big bag of marching powder would be the next day though

I agree, but whether it helps or not isn’t really the issue. A bit like the Contador thing, the amount is irrelavant. If it’s a banned substance then it’s a banned substance and professional athletes should all abide by the same rules.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Its poor but there are different standards across different sports, and unfortunately within the same sport. Look at Ferdinand, 8 month ban. Rasmussen got a 2 year ban. There have been cyclists who have tested positive for clenbuterol before (when in South America where they do use it in cattle) and they got 1 year bans.

bigjim

taking drugs to get mashed up on a saturday night and taking drugs to win a bike race are 2 different things though surely. it might be more interesting if they named people who weren’t on drugs in the tour instead of naming a token few who are each year to make it look like it isn’t the norm 😮

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

taking drugs to get mashed up on a saturday night and taking drugs to win a bike race are 2 different things though surely

Tommy Simpson took amphetamines in order to try and win a bike race.

Recreational drugs such as amphetamines (speed) do also work as a performance enhancer or at least they help mask the pain you might otherwise feel during heavy exertion.

bigjim

Mmm nice, I think you’d have to try hard not give away you were on speed if you had to speak to anyone though!

Nothings changed really:

thomthumb
    Free Member

taking drugs to get mashed up on a saturday night and taking drugs to win a bike race are 2 different things though surely

tell that to tom boonen

Speshpaul

“Tommy Simpson took amphetamines in order to try and win a bike race.

Recreational drugs such as amphetamines (speed) do also work as a performance enhancer or at least they help mask the pain you might otherwise feel during heavy exertion. “

What! dear me. So you think that some space cadet evented speed to get his rocks off in the 30’s and the military came along and said hey we could use this to air crew awake!

soobalias
    Free Member

radio report this morning told it as,

rider kicked off the tour by own team following a +ve test, if its confirmed by the B-sample he can expect a 5X fine and 2yr ban

sounds ok to me

‘we’ dont want to allow doping as it will escalate and lead to the riders putting themselves at risk of death…… but at the same time the public thirst for ever closer coverage puts a car sideways into a rider!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Looking at the fine it was a bloody stupid thing to do, dope to get yourself up to 61st and then pay a fine equivalent of 5 years wages.

This would probably be in the region of 200,000 Euro!!!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

strikes me of double standards again with the ASO. As far as I’m aware Kolobnev has yet to supply a positive “b” sample, yet we have Alberto who provided two positive samples and is allowed to ride!?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What! dear me. So you think that some space cadet evented speed to get his rocks off in the 30’s and the military came along and said hey we could use this to air crew awake!

I made no comment on the origins of the drug. Just pointed out that the same substance can and has been used for performance enhancement and recreation.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Whatnobeer –

Its poor but there are different standards across different sports, and unfortunately within the same sport. Look at Ferdinand, 8 month ban. Rasmussen got a 2 year ban

And what makes it worse, Rasmussen never provided a positive drug sample!!

soobalias
    Free Member

strikes me of double standards again with the ASO. As far as I’m aware Kolobnev has yet to supply a positive “b” sample, yet we have Alberto who provided two positive samples and is allowed to ride!?

from what i can see, Kolobnev has been pulled by his team for now – the UCI rules allowed him to ride today, pending the B sample.

hopefully, for the sport, his B sample is clean and his team can be seen to be taking positive steps to stamp out cheating

radoggair
    Free Member

This would probably be in the region of 200,000 Euro

eurosport coverage quoted this at 100,000 euro’s per year, or 1/2 million euro fine.

Ouch

rainbow
    Free Member

Well most if not all pro cyclists use dope, last year Tour’s winner is one of them, never really watch the Tour anymore cos of dope using.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘The first naughty boy of le tour’ is closed to new replies.