Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • The first artist/band you saw live?
  • shadowrider
    Free Member

Adamski at Digbeth Institute in about 1990, supported by EMF.

DezB
    Free Member

made me feel like I’ve been missing out all my life

You have 😉

spursn17
    Free Member

Sparks Hammersmith Odeon 1974, I’m still a fan!

Darts, Glasgow Apollo, 1979. I was about 12. Brilliant.

I saw Darts twice at Finsbury Park Rainbow during my punk years in the late seventies, two of the best gigs I’ve ever been to.

Gunz
    Free Member

Queen Kind of Magic tour, Wembley Stadium, 1986. My older brother bought us tickets for my Birthday, he was, and is, my hero.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ian Gillan,Southport Theatre Rock night (think it was 1988), I was very very drunk…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Donnington Monsters of Rock.
    Van Halen, AC/DC and Def Leppard. I think WASP were on too and I think Cinderella.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Five Star at St Davids Hall in Cardiff in 1985ish
    I remember being quite starstruck!

shifter
    Free Member

Another Skids – Cleethorpes Winter Gardens 1980

CountZero

The Stranglers last year at the Silverstone classic, 1st time seeing a band live at 36 years old and that was only because I was there with work

That made me feel like I’ve been missing out all my life though and wish I’d gone to see some live music years ago. Also saw Reef & The Boomtown rats that weekend so not a bad event to pop my live music cherry
    Never too late, though; so much out there worth experiencing and plenty of good venues around, although many of the classic ones are no more, like The Astoria, sadly.
    Get out there and enjoy, I’m 63 this month, been going to gigs since 1971, you’ve got nearly thirty years to catch up!
    😀
    Looking forward to Goldfrapp at Somerset House tomorrow evening, perfect venue for a warm summer’s evening, and perfect band, too.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Mercury Rev, 92 I think, but on the Yerself Is Steam tour. People dressed up as bumblebees and a child chorus section, who they must have roped in from god knows where. Bonkers and epic in equal measure. Not done much in the last few years, but have alt-J on the seaside tour in September. Considering Slowdive as well, because the new album is fantastic.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Howard Jones at the Hammersmith Apollo 1983.

b1galus
    Free Member

stone the crows in Edinburgh 1970 . such a long time ago

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Prodigy at Livingston forum, mibbe 1995?.

I don’t remember much anything about it, other than the minibus breaking down in the snow on the way there….

onlysteel
    Free Member

Peter Frampton……….
    Took my 14 year old sister to her first gig in 81 – Bruce at the Edinburgh Playhouse. She tells me it has left her disappointed after every other gig since.

salad_dodger

Motley Crue in February 86 I think. Bit odd – bass guitarist OD’ing on heroin during the show was a standout moment.

pennine
    Free Member

Dave Clark Five at Bradford Locarno dance hall in 1963

pondo

Gary Glitter at the NEC, 1989 or so. 🙁

stevied
    Free Member

Massive Attack supported by Monkey Mafia..
    Really, really good show 😀

slowoldman

I think it was Slade at the Top Rank in Doncaster when they were still skinheads.

njee20
    Free Member

Green Day. 8th December 2000 at Wembley Arena, on the Warning tour. They were awesome.

colournoise

colournoise – Member
    Aside from local bands in pubs.
    Transvision Vamp. Rock City. On the Pop Art tour so I guess it was ’88 or ’89.

Google tells me it was in fact Monday October 10 1988.

metalheart
    Free Member

Technically is was Subway Sect who were support for Buzzcocks on their Love Bites tour in early ’79 (I think).

Like, awesome.

donks
    Free Member

Desmond decker at mk bowl in 79 or 80
    Squeeze were also on the bill.
    I was 6 or 7 so memory of this is long since gone but I saw the police the following year same venue and I remember that… it pissed it down.

Trekster

My classmate was the drummer 😀 Ian McDougal, still chat now and again.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSRZz13YiqI

Saw Ozzie, Sabbath twice. They played at Rugmans where the Claw played. Ozzie had a girlfriend he dumped for Sharon who came from Dumfries and is a friend of mine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qRX95CziW1o Max is a local pub owner and brother of an ex Scottish footballer, Billy. He used to play at dances in Billy’s hotel, my local when I was in my teens…..

nuke

Metallica – Wembley Arena – 1992

nealglover
    Free Member

Queen on the Live Magic tour at the Estadio Municipal in Marbella. 1986.

I was 14 at the time and it was an incredible night.

richardkennerley

Green Day Manchester Apollo sept 1995. I was 15, my mates dad dropped us off, my folks picked us up!!

stever
    Free Member

Madness, Selecter and The Specials, first Two Tone tour.

andytherocketeer

Diesel Park West

colournoise

CountZero – Member
    Looking forward to Goldfrapp at Somerset House tomorrow evening, perfect venue for a warm summer’s evening, and perfect band, too.

Saw them a few years back on the A&E tour. Amazing bass – proper body wobbling by the time they cranked it up for Strict Machine at the end.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Skunk Anansie with Muse in support! Wasn’t that fussed about seeing Muse at the time! 1998 ish

Northwind

The Brian May Band. It was actually awesome. And then the Almighty, I won backstage passes for that and the band pretty much adopted us (IIRC I was 14 or 15), except for Pete Friesen who was absolutely off his tits.

Caher

The Smiths at Reading Uni closely followed by The Cure.

pnik

Culture Club at Derby Assembly Rooms, matinee performance, i was a choir boy and had to get out of evensong to go. Choirmaster was appalled when he found out where i’d been! King were supporting all tarten and dr martins, it was really bad. I was very disappointed i realise now that there were a few problems by that point, drugs and boy and jon not talking. But they could’ve have been miming to the record.
    Next was Spear of Destiny at Rock City much better and as it turns out another boy george ex!

Edit: allegedly

theotherjonv

Jesus and Mary Chain, Hammersmith in 1986

I remember getting tickets which included a coach trip there and back from Reading. Also remember being a bit underwhelmed, loved music but didn’t do many live gigs until I got to University a year later. And then saw loads. And still see quite a lot.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Roxy Music at the Glasgow Apollo. 1979 I think.

rt60
    Free Member

Orbital, Wolves Civic, I think 1994 I was 15 and the bass blew me away

gordimhor

The first band I saw were called Widowmaker. They were the openers on a festival at Parkhead in 1976. I was a big fan of the headline act – The Who. However the second act on the bill were Sensational..
    [video]https://youtu.be/svSV_G65CF4[/video]

djc1245
    Free Member

TV personalities at Oakwood Park art college. John Peel as DJ. Loads of skins turned up and it all kicked off. Was about 14 at the time

kjcc25
    Free Member

Susan Maughan and Frank Ifield at the London Palladium in 1963.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘The first artist/band you saw live?’ is closed to new replies.