Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,074 total)
  • The F1 2015 thread…
  • dragon
    Free Member

It appears the present front wing designs take their inspiration from one of these:

nemesis
    Free Member

OK, here’s my theory (aka wishful thinking).

They uploaded a vid to youtube yesterday with JB and FA doing a Back to the Future routine (with added cheese).

So here’s McL going back to the late 90s.

Next step will be the the full reveal, going back to the 80s and red/white colour scheme.

It would at least fit in with the rumours which suggested a black car (well almost) today followed by the proper launch later on.

Fingers crossed.

atlaz
    Free Member

Ahhhh, Red Bull, the little team that could.
    Or was that Jaguar?
    Or Stewart?

Yes, the upstart team that is entering it’s 19th season of F1 … makes me laugh every time I hear that they went from nothing to winning the title in a few years.

That McLaren doesn’t have many sponsors does it. Although supposedly Ron refused to lower the cost of sponsorship, which I suspect is a killer for a mid-table team. If the Honda works out tho I would imagine people will flock to them

nemesis
    Free Member

Interesting change in design philosophy for McLaren

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117500

The arrival of chief engineer Peter Prodromou from Red Bull last year has served as a force for change on this front, and his views on taking a new approach have been embraced by McLaren.

The priority is no longer in pursuing theoretical peak downforce figures – it is about achieving maximum useable downforce.

In simple terms, being able to use 100 per cent of 700kg of downforce is better than only being able to use 80 per cent of 750kg.

That kind of fits in with what we’ve seen with McL for the last few years – a confidence that the car will be good followed by turning up at the track and it not being as good as they expect followed by headscratching and frustration as to why they’re slower than they expect. It’ll be really interesting to see how that pans out.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The priority is no longer in pursuing theoretical peak downforce figures – it is about achieving maximum useable downforce.

Blimey I’d have thought that was pretty obvious. Maybe the focus on peak theoretical downforce was a limitation of their modelling tools in some way?

jota180
    Free Member

Next step will be the the full reveal, going back to the 80s and red/white colour scheme.

Did you notice the date on that Californian licence plate?

nemesis
    Free Member

I see it says ‘Aug’ but not quite sure what to infer from that…

the-muffin-man
    jota180
    Free Member

It says ‘Aug 86’
    Perhaps a clue to the livery style for this year?

the-muffin-man

Looking sharp! I think the others need to worry…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

The Mercedes looks sorted the McLaren is definitely a work in progress however it is verytightly packaged and a lot of the aero layout appears copied from RB.

nickc

In 1986 McLaren were using Porsche engines, so I doubt it.

legend
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

What is it with all the silver/black/red or orange highlights (on a few of those cars)?

Please someone make a gold one, or lime green…

the-muffin-man

New Sauber – looks like they ran out of budget to pay a livery designer though!

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/01/30/sauber-c34-2015-f1-car-first-pictures-launch/comment-page-2/#comments

scruff
    Free Member

legend, Lewis may have a nerd look this year but it seems to work for him…

hora
    Free Member

If Lewis and Nicole manage to stay together throughout this season Lewis will be unstoppable.

the-muffin-man

Ferrari looks nice – Vettel in red will take some getting used to though…

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/01/30/ferrari-sf-15t-2015-f1-car-first-pictures-launch/

New Alfa Romeo branding on side of engine cover – has that been seen on a Ferrari before?

dooosuk
    Free Member

The nose on that Ferrari looks really long…especially compared to the Merc.

nemesis
    Free Member

Contrary to widespread expectation, the new Ferrari continues with the pull-rod front suspension of its predecessor – Mercedes and Red Bull use a push-rod system. Although the pull-rod variation offers aerodynamic benefits, its downside is a ‘sloppy’ front end – a trait that neither Sebastian Vettel nor Kimi Raikkonen like.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24187/9683125/ferrari-launch-the-sf15-t

Maybe not quite as straightforward as suggested but that does seem to be the general consensus on pullrod front sus so it’s interesting that it wasn’t changed. Maybe not enough time to do so after Vettel signed.

PJM1974
    Free Member

New Alfa Romeo branding on side of engine cover – has that been seen on a Ferrari before?

PLEASE let us see a Ferrari powered team with Alfa logos on the cam covers…or better yet, an Alfa branded Ferrari B team.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Good spot! Big year for Alfa with (*another*) re-launch of the brand. FIAT calling in favours of Ferrari I reckon.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Alfa Romeo has had more relaunches than the space shuttle Discovery.

andrewh
    Free Member

Might have been the other way around way back when, didn’t Enzo used to run Alfa’s GP team before he started his own?

atlaz
    Free Member

It was the date on the number plate in Back to the Future. I think the whole campaign is just some fun with the idea it’s McLaren Honda again rather than some clever teaser

fr0sty125
    Free Member

The Sauber looks like it will be rubbish, to say that nose looks sub optimal is an understatement. Ferrari is more of an evolution than I honestly expected and I find it interesting that both McLaren have gone for the very long flat nose designed to work with front wing to influence the Y250 vortex.

shermer75
    Free Member

So testing starts tomorrow. Does anyone know of a way to watch it without Sky TV?

northernmatt

Wiziwig maybe. I have an android box that somehow manages to pick up free sports channels, which is handy. 😀

h1jjy
    Free Member

Glad to see the Ann Summer toy noses have gone.

Enzo did race for Alfa before making his own race team and cars. He raced with the Scuderia shields on the wings.

Do hope McLaren and Honda do well. Just to stop Jenson from acting (don’t give up your day job)

But do think the Merc will be the ones to beat. There 2014 engine was 0.5 second per lap faster then the rest of the field in the last race. Think they will stick with that until everyone else catches up and then drop in the 2015 one

jota180
    Free Member

Think they will stick with that until everyone else catches up and then drop in the 2015 one

I don’t
    I think they’ll make the others chase a running target, they’ve already proved they can develop it better so the others may well find Merc further away at the end of the season than they were at the beginning.

igm

Vettel knocks Rosberg off top spot

Posted at 13:07
    Sebastian Vettel goes quickest with a 1:22.999 in the Ferrari. Nico Rosberg is second, 0.1 seconds off the pace, with Valtteri Bottas’ Williams eight tenths further back.

That’s not like last year…

jota180
    Free Member

The Ferrari was quicker than the Merc in the first test last year

It’s all irellevent though, we’ll have little idea of respective race trim speed until the last test

jota180
    Free Member

That was an awfull lot of laps from Merc today – 157

Loving the Red Bull camoflage livery, it may work, sharp thinking again from someone

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Is testing on the telly anywhere? Can’t find it on any of the listings.

jota180
    Free Member

Sky Sports F1 has a 15 min highlights followed by Ted’s Notebook at 9 each night

I think on subsequent nights they will show previous days too, so starting earlier each day to fit it in

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Cheers! Repeated at 10.45 tonight

Was expecting/hoping/looking for more than 15 minutes.

nemesis
    Free Member

Really good summary of how Ferrari and McLaren went wrong last year and what they’ve done to try to fix that for 2015

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/22058/9695979/ferrari-and-mclarens-new-cars-go-in-search-of-downforce-after-2014-woes

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Bad day for McLaren still having problems with sensors and electronic integration issues. However I still think the car will be very fast when they get it working.

nemesis
    Free Member

This is the real downside of the testing restrictions. This sort of thing just needs a few days of being able to run with no pressure to sort out. Instead they’re limited to trying to do this while losing time to actually test the mechanics and set up of the car. Just like RB last year come to think of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,074 total)

The topic ‘The F1 2015 thread…’ is closed to new replies.