Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The end of the Vulcan :-(
  • 29erKeith
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-19952395
    doesn’t look like it’ll be flying for much longer

Really glad I saw it just recently, she flew over our house while I was in the garden after the Bournemouth air show

🙁

bigad40
    Free Member

Glad I happened to see it at Dunsfold airshow a couple of months ago.

weeksy

Saw it at an air show recently.. was pretty awsome indeed i must say.

Mrs Weeksys great grandad was a test pilot apparently.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Similar here Keith, was renovating fiances mum place in kinson a few years back and it buzzed the house! Awesome noise!!

slunk
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNV4yv8N4mA&feature=related[/video]

garage-dweller

Gutted! Arguably one of the most beautiful aircraft ever made (albeit for an ugly purpose) and an incredible spectacle in the air.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

very sad…. saw it at Farnborough 3 years ago i think it was, they surprised the crowd by doing the fancy take off where it pretty much takes off after a short taxi on full throttle, have ot say a bit of poo came out due to the noise it made.

CountZero

That’s desperately sad, a beautiful, iconic aircraft.

stumpyjon

they surprised the crowd by doing the fancy take off where it pretty much takes off after a short taxi on full throttle,

I still remember that from going to an airshow as a kid. You don’t so much hear the sound as feel it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How about a 4 Vulcan scramble? Saw & heard that spectacle at Finningley in 1977.
    Bloody awesome X 100 that was!

Mr_C
    Free Member

You all seem to be posting as if it’s already finished. 558 will be flying next year assuming they raise funds for the winter service. The major work which is necessary to keep it flying is not needed until the end of next year.

Official press release.

They fund this purely from donations so if you can chuck a few quid their way then we will all be able to see it fly next year for the last time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I still remember that from going to an airshow as a kid. You don’t so much hear the sound as feel it.

Used to rip the end of runways apart doing that at full chat, including at Finningley! Awesome!

jota180
    Free Member

Finningley!

Or as they call it now Robin Hood airport 🙂

My old man flew Wellies (wireless operator) out of there during the war for a time and then went back as an instructor till he was de-mobbed

munkyboy
    Free Member

Read Vulcan 607 if you are even vaguely interested in them. Tbh read it even if you couldnt give a monkeys, cracking good read.

djglover
    Free Member

Glad I happened to see it at Dunsfold airshow a couple of months ago.

I saw it that day, by chance. First MTB ride in years and just as I rounded pitch hill, that was banking between the North and South downs

Superb!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or as they call it now Robin Hood airport

🙁

I used to live there. Many, many happy childhood memories.

Northwind

TBH it’s days have always been numbered, but it’s great that it’s still flying, hope they can keep it up for as long as possible. We got a nice personal flypast last year after Leuchars, right over my house at low level, thought it’d be the blow that finally made the conservatory collapse :mrgreen:

Did seem that maybe it’d make sense to keep it more local though? Flying cross country on VFR’s got to be hard on the thing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The end of the Vulcan :-(’ is closed to new replies.