Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • The demise of megaupload ..your views please
  • kaiser
    Free Member

I’m gutted ..had a load of nice maps i’d been meaning to download ..all legal of course 😉 Looks like several linked sites are also not available . Not a big user myself but it’s been v useful over the years.

BoardinBob

I was staggered at how much money they were making. Kim Dotcom made $42 million last year 😯

wrecker
    Free Member

No icefilms at the moment 🙁

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Never heard of it before the news this morning

Jamie
    Free Member

I think they had a good run. It was fairly obvious most of the content was copyrighted material. Those that run it let it happen though, as they were cashing in a shitload of cash due to advertising revenue.

They got too big I guess.

DezB
    Free Member

Was it just a big file sharing site? Or was there more to it?

Cos there’s loads of them hotfile, filesonic, uploaded, filejungle… etc.

Are they all likely to go?

emsz
    Free Member

Never heard of it before today.

philconsequence
    Free Member

the whole internets going to go dezbinald! we’ll have to resort to carrier pidginz by oct 2012!

wwaswas

Are they all likely to go?

I do hope so.

it’s like having a shop selling stolen goods on every street corner.

Congress has, effecitively, tried to bring in legislation that would just close all the shops on the High Street rather than just the ones selling stolen goods.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    I think they had a good run. It was fairly obvious most of the content was copyrighted material

are you talking about megaupload or the internet in general?

philconsequence
    Free Member

Congress has, effecitively, tried to bring in legislation that would just close all the shops on the High Street rather than just the ones selling stolen goods.

i do hope thats original material and you haven’t forgotten to credit the original copyright holder? 😈

(i’m stealing that as its the clearest explanation of whats happening i’ve read)

Jamie
    Free Member

@Dez

It was, but it was one of the biggest, along with RapidShare.

The full indictments can be seen on WSJ.

are you talking about megaupload or the internet in general?

Megaupload.

chvck
    Free Member

And the ones that happen to be nearby… Or the ones where someone has decided to take an item from one shop into another.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Good Riddance!

scuzz
    Free Member

Big fileshraing site which pays you if people download the content you upload. In file-download guise, as well as flash video guise (Imagine youtube with no content restrictions, but wants you to pay to access more than ~42 mins of video a day) and some other guises too.
    Content generally not accessed directly through the site, but through other websites which provide links.

It’s fair enough. The founders made a lot of money directly out of the distribution of copyrighted material. I’d have more to say if less money was involved.

wwaswas

i do hope thats original material

all my own typos and everyfink 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm… interesting developments.

13th most visited website on the entire Internet

Impressive!

philconsequence
    Free Member

the only good thing about big money corporations running the world like this is that soon we’ll get to play rollerball. roller derby is a poor imitation but a clear sign we’re heading that way IMHO.

Cougar

Can count the times I’ve used it on the fingers of one foot. Guess we’ll have to use one of the 47 other near-identical services instead now.

timc
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member
    I was staggered at how much money they were making. Kim Dotcom made $42 million last year

Yet people have a problem with Record Companies & Artists earnings

wwaswas – Member

Well put!

parkedtiger – Member
    The Free Music Archive’s point of view:

pointless ‘what if’ article.

As I understand, it was actually American legislation that protected these sites in the early days, obviously no longer.

Be interesting to see if this continues & what happens when it comes to the Russian sites, sadly probably nothing!

sharkbait
    Free Member

No icefilms at the moment

This…………. [sob]
    So my AppleTV is not fulfilling its potential at the moment as Icefilms linked to files on MU – I’m hoping that an alternative pops up.

atlaz
    Free Member

That sort of copyright theft isn’t illegal in Russia. Why do you think Microsoft used to give away copies of Windows in their offices over there?

Kim is a dodgy bugger anyway, always has been so you can be sure any company he’s associated with is ducking the law in some way. Megaupload have known about the piracy on their platform for years which is what have sunk them. Youtube at least got some safe harbour coverage from working actively to stop it, MU has always tacitly (if not explicitly) welcomed copyright theft.

chvck
    Free Member

What were megaupload doing that youtube aren’t? When requested megaupload removed copywritten material just like youtube didn’t they?

timc
    Free Member

chvck – Member
    What were megaupload doing that youtube aren’t? When requested megaupload removed copywritten material just like youtube didn’t they?

Come on now, have a think 😕

MSP

I wish the film industry would put equal effort into creating legal decent on-line resources. It costs more to download a film that it does to buy a disk from play or Amazon, including postage. And its virtually impossible to get original English language versions of films on-line in Germany (and I guess all other non English speaking countries).

They are profiteering from their sales methods, and they are getting governments to crush consumer protections to do so.

chvck
    Free Member

Oh yeah, they were hosting a shit-ton of illegal stuff, no arguing against that but as a genuine question, if they removed files when asked to how is it effectively much different to youtube?

Jamie
    Free Member

I wish the film industry would put equal effort into creating legal decent on-line resources. It costs more to download a film that it does to buy a disk from play or Amazon, including postage. And its virtually impossible to get original English language versions of films on-line in Germany (and I guess all other non English speaking countries).

Netflix has just launched in the UK with online streaming from £5.99 a month. Amazon is also launching rival service soon.

Edit: Ah, I see your in Deutschland. Ignore the above 😉

mu3266
    Free Member

<shocked> You mean there was more than just pr0n on there? </shocked>

MSP

Yep, I can buy a DVD from a UK company, and it can be posted to me in Germany. But I can”t download the same content from the same company! I can’t think of any other industry where market protectionism is so extremely exerted as film and music.

IMO the industries greed is a major contributing factor to on-line piracy.

atlaz
    Free Member

No. It removed the link. Not everything tagged with the same fingerprint. Youtube also dont pay people for infringing.

chvck
    Free Member

Indeed, but with faster internet rolling out all over the place and services like netflix and spotify etc… getting better and better I think that piracy will decrease as people just won’t see the need to illegally download. Those services also have the bonus that you can watch/listen easily where-ever you go without having to lug around your external storage or whatever.

EDIT: “No. It removed the link. Not everything tagged with the same fingerprint.” – ahh ok, cheers!

chomp
    Free Member

it’s a shame to be honest

I got all manner of great stuff off there over the last few years that was either out of print or not available any more

While this was not technically ‘legal’ I do think that the creators of such content would sooner people see their stuff than it just not be available (other than a clips on a crap 240p youtube video)

bazzer
    Free Member

Is anyone using netflix ? You can’t seem to search on the site to see what films are actually available on it.

wrecker
    Free Member

Jamie (or anyone), any idea of how the content on netflix compares with that of icefilms?

donsimon
    Free Member

parkedtiger – Member
    The Free Music Archive’s point of view:

Interesting stuff. If SOPA is designed to protect copyright, all well and good. If it is designed to protect the dinosaur distributors who can’t get with the times, all well and bad…
    Call me cynical on this one. 😀

s4rpf
    Free Member

Netflix has just launched in the UK with online streaming from £5.99 a month. Amazon is also launching rival service soon.

Amazon own Lovefilm?

Also netflix is useless, good quality stream on my xbox but similar to lovefilms streaming service you dont get the latest releases on it. so end up watching older movies or tv shows.

And SOPA and ProtectIP are pretty much useless all they will do is host it outside of the us on a non us domain, and make the IP address publicly known. Then they cant close it down and when the DNS entry is blocked people will just use the IP address. further anyone who will want to do illegal downloads will use foreign DNS servers to get around it.

CaptJon
    Free Member

It is another example of media corporations not meeting the demands of the market. They just need to make it easier to get legal stuff than illegal stuff, and price it attractively.

I’ve used Megauploads to watch US TV series which aren’t available here. I’d have happily have paid for them.

timc
    Free Member

MSP – Member

Can you justify this statement with an example?

wrecker
    Free Member

timc, check don simons link.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘The demise of megaupload ..your views please’ is closed to new replies.