Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The dark web…
  • coconut
    Free Member

How do you get on the “dark internet” and how does it work. No I am not some dodgy character, just interested in how it works and how is all the coding untraceable ? I was reading a bit about the guy that set up silk road the other day.

DickBarton

Tor or something and off it goes…unsure if you’d get any real bike bargains though…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s optimized by Komoona.

coconut
    Free Member

It’s optimized by Komoona.

CaptinDarkWeb strikes… 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hmmmm.

But why?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can’t you just turn the brightness down on your screen settings?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Alt+Shift+PrintScreen gets you the dark windows theme.

Control+Option+Command+8 used to get you thrown out of the Apple Store 😉

EDIT – I am actually looking for a page with good info but not found it yet….

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

How To Access The Deep Web or DarkNet – A Beginner’s Guide

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Deep_web

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/deep-web/70936

There you go. I am not able to offer any personal advice beyond this, as I am a hardware geek not a software one and my amusements of choice are sold over the counter in this country.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Unless you know what you’re looking for its pretty much an anti climax. Difficult to find much and when you do it tends to be crap.

jambalaya
    Free Member

First step is to buy a subscription. That gets you access to a better class of special advice.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That gets you access to a better class of special advice.

Really? Jebus, am I fubarrd.

I just want to know why Trump has been investing in
    User disconnected. Reason: (I thought I heard something behind ////////////////////)

v8ninety

I feel a bit anxious even clicking on this thread, let alone commenting. What possible non-nefarious reasons would one have for accessing this thing that according to the mainstream press is purely the haunt of pedophiles and drug dealers?

monkeychild
    Free Member

according to the mainstream press is purely the haunt of pedophiles and drug dealers?

Or an outlet for people living in oppressive regimes, whistleblowers and other such shenanigans. It’s not all nefarious.

Download TOR browser (from a legit source) and find a decent .onion (that’s the domain it resides in) list and away you go.

I don’t use it personally, but I see the good and bad in it.

deepreddave
    Free Member

^^^^^ I’m interested just because but not THAT interested.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Once you’ve seen: hitmen, heroin (or other drugs), guns and hookers on door to door service. You will go meh lol.

v8ninety

Once you’ve seen: hitmen, heroin (or other drugs), guns and hookers on door to door service.

But is it real? Or just 99% scam, 1% sting?

P-Jay
    Free Member

The Silk Road used to have a feedback system like eBay, I’m sure people got burnt though, it’s not like you can lodge a complaint with Bit Coin.

bigjim

Go and read some of the articles on vice motherboard about silk Road etc. Fascinating.

Aphex twin announced his last album on an onion site, if you visited the normal version too it showed all the information your browser leaks about who and where you are. Browser and now hardware fingerprinting to track people’s id and Web browsing is all Quite interesting.

jambourgie
    Free Member

But is it real? Or just 99% scam, 1% sting?

Drugs: Definitely real.
    Hitmen: I doubt it. 🙂 But you never know.
    Guns: I’d imagine so. I mean, Silk Road used to have a section called ‘The Armoury’ which was a bit of an eye-opener. I get why it was there, totally open and free marketplace and everything, but I think it was right to take it down. Being able to buy a 9mm and a ninja-star with your acid doesn’t do the ‘legalise drugs’ argument any favours 🙂

Although, this article states that the reason for closing it was because not many people used it. Which is nice.

devash
    Free Member

A friend of a friend bought a couple of samples of weed off the original Silk Road back in 2013. I don’t really smoke any more (not since university back in the early noughties) but the stuff he got was legit. A few of my friends are into clubbing and buy their party supplies exclusively off the dark web now because, they argue, it lets them cut out the street dealer types they’d have had to score from before. None of them have been scammed or received fake gear as of yet, and everyone’s still alive.

Outside of the contraband aspect, as has been noted above there are legit uses for Tor / Onion such as political activism in autocratic countries but there is a lot of research out there showing that the software can easily be hacked. One point of order is that Tor was funded by the US Navy.

epicyclo

devash – Member
    …One point of order is that Tor was funded by the US Navy.

If you want to be really paranoid who better to sponsor dark web software than the govt?

That way they have a back door into all the folk up to nefarious stuff and don’t have to spend so many resources scanning the normal web…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

TOR has bigger problems than it’s genesis.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Such as?..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

https://slashdot.org/tag/tor

I’d argue that you’d have to stick out to be monitored, but I don’t think it’s as anon as some people like to think.

As previously mentioned, I may be out of my depth with this though.

EDIT – damn, was I v& this morning? My mind is a blank….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you want to be really paranoid who better to sponsor dark web software than the govt?

Best not look at some of the funding links that helped Facebook get started…….

Makes you think…. 😉

devash
    Free Member

That way they have a back door into all the folk up to nefarious stuff and don’t have to spend so many resources scanning the normal web…

To put it simply, the darkweb is potentially the biggest honey pot in law enforcement history.

jambourgie
    Free Member

It’s a conspiracy theorists wet dream alright. Just think, the whole darknet drugs marketplace thing could’ve been set up by the man as a way of winning, or being seen to win (or at least get out of ‘Nam) the war on drugs. The war as it is, is unwinnable. People will always want to take drugs, and putting more people in prison isn’t going to change anything. It just costs more lives, and more money.

If only they could just give it up without losing face. The Daily Mail reading hard-of-thinking section of society will never accept decriminalisation. It’s political suicide. Better to keep up the pig-headed ‘tough on drugs’ stance whilst kicking the problem into the long grass.

This is where the darknet markets come in. If everybody’s buying their drugs online, it kind of becomes invisible. The average Daily Mail reader can barely work email never mind understand Bitcoin cryptocurrencies and Deep Web marketplaces. Street dealers whither away as the Royal Mail become the new distributors. Organised crime gets a kick in the stones as they can no longer monopolise through fear; The nature of the marketplace puts Pablo Escobar and little Jimmy from Utah who lives in his mums basement on a level playing field. And most importantly: deaths from the drug use are down due to a higher quality product due to the marketplaces reputation and feedback systems.

And there you have it, the police don’t have to waste half their time trying to stop people getting high and can actually do some real police work. There will always be some street-dealing; for people too stupid to work out how to use Bitcoin/too desperate and irresponsible to plan and wait a few days for the post. But these low-hanging fruit can be used as trophies to appease the idiot public… still winning the war on drugs folks!

Makes you think…

*tin-foil hat off*

holmes81
    Free Member

Chatting with a friend about darknet and tor his view was that tor is akin to sitting on your bed with sheets over your head.

Everyone knows you’re up to something amd it’s pretty easy to find out. Since darknet/silk road made it in the papers its a bit of a farce and is just pants.

bikebouy
    Free Member

just pants

Mebbies, just mebbies that’s what the OP is after..

Meks u fink.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The dark web…’ is closed to new replies.