Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • The Daily Mail plumbs the depths and reaches new lows…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

The Daily Mail’s lesson of the day is “The smaller they are, the harder you kick ’em.”

Were they to write the same inflamatory headlines about a ethnic or religous group they’d be done. So how are they able to get away with printing this?

Legally enforceable state press regulation? If it stops this sort of thing I may be in favour of it.

samuri
    Free Member

Shocking isn’t it? You have to ask who the people are who voluntarily go out and buy this bilge.

Klunk
    Free Member

think we’ll have to wait a long time for
    “Harold Shipman, A vile product of middle class Britain!”
    headline

binners

Its just more of what we now expect from our hate-filled, nasty, gutter level, unregulated ‘free press’

This is just part of the right wing presses continuing vilification of the poor, egged on by Downing Street press office, to justify this government’s dismantling of the benefits system

It is a calculated, co-ordinated, cynical and ideologically driven campaign, waged through their friends in the press, that has had a very clear agenda right from the day this despicable administration took power

ohnohesback
    Free Member

What will it it take to stop them? (the Coalition and the gutter press).

martinhutch

Alright Degsy, calm down.

In related news, Kelvin McKenzie has joined the Torygraph, so expect more quality balanced journalism from that source…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Please verify that the above link does not transfer me to the Daily Wail website…
    I feel shitty already today and giving those b’stards even the merest click of my mouse might tip me over the edge.

thegreatape
    Free Member
    ohnohesback
    Free Member

No it’s not a direct DM link. Though after viewing the front page you are likely to be depressed, and seetheingly angry.

mintimperial

Apparently even Anne Widdecombe thought the DM had gone a too far with that piece of ‘journalism’. If Anne Widdecombe thinks you’re being a bit of a right-wing git, you should probably wind your neck back in.

binners

From Charlie Brookers original TV GO Home TV programme listings

Daily Mail Island
    , a reality TV show where several normal people are deposited on an island and not allowed access to any media other than the strongly right-wing and conservative Daily Mail newspaper, leading to them becoming progressively more irrational and brutal as the series progresses – for example, tying teenage lovers together with sacks on their heads and beating them,or sealing a teenager caught masturbating into a coffin filled with broken glass and dog faeces and throwing it over a cliff, and their language devolving into rhetorical questions and sarcastic snorts.

wwaswas

There was a bloke from the DM on Today this mornign defending it.

His line was “He only did it because the state was giving him a £1000 a month for the children and he didn’t want to lose the income”.

Which, I have some sympathy with as a position – he did do it for the money.

To extrapolate that the way that the DM have, though, is stretching things a bit too far.

shotsaway
    Free Member

The problem with the Daily Mail is that they are the 2nd most popular paper in the UK.

1) The Sun 2,165,605
    2) Daily Mail 1,594,421 (2.4m on a Sunday)
    3) Daily Mirror 953,422

Nobody I know admits to reading the Mail (expect my parents) but obviously 1.5m people buy the paper and I’m guessing 3.0m probably read it. Whilst they continue to sell in those numbers they will continue to publish absolute s***!

If the Sun couldn’t be brought down by Hillsborough and the phone tapping scandals, I don’t see anyway the Daily Mail will ever be brought down. Certainly not until all the Baby Boomers die (This is a sweeping generalisation on my part that the Baby Boomers are loyal Mail readers).

Junkyard
    Free Member

He only did it because the state was giving him a £1000 a month for the children and he didn’t want to lose the income

I suspect he loved his kids [ madness given what he did!!] and he wanted to win the custody case rather than just get them money. Surely if he wanted money he could just have more kids with another mistress?
    It is far more complicated than that and we could debate his motivations but thqt headline and claiming he did it for money is just BS

However the clear point is he was an amoral individual and this was unlikely to be a result of the benefits system anymore than fraud by bankers is a direct result of the banking system

We all know this even the person who wrote that article for money knows this

TBH i thought it was taking a polemic to a ridicolous level – if the benefits systeme did this – given the hoardes of scroungers and immigarants out there this would be a common event

Shamefull that a well educated individual would write something they dont believe ,for money, and then defend it.
    It is not so much journalism as it is trolling tbh
    the fact folk buy it [ the paper and the article] is probably more worrying

wwaswas

It is far more complicated than that and we could debate his motivations

you’re right. I won’t edit my post but his motives were also about control etc as well as money.

franksinatra

The great thing about the Daily Mail is that it is one of only a handful of subjects that everyone on STW seems to agree on (along with Piers Morgan being a twunt).

So we may hate their gutter press, but let us rejoice in it bringing unity to STW, the home of arguments!

gordimhor

It’s really sickening, to print such a load of bile and claim to be a newspaper. Everyone associated with the mail should take a good long look in the mirror this morning. What binners said +1

WackoAK
    Free Member

The T-shirt posted above is a lovely way of demeaning mental health issues, oh the ironing etc

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s sickening that what the DM does is considered to be an acceptable.

The DM is the new Der Sturhmer?

globalti
    Free Member

All correct… BUT what nobody here seems to appreciate is that the readers of STW are not typical of the British population and most ordinary, ignorant and bigoted British people will agree with the Daily Mail. There is a nasty undercurrent of hatred and bigotry in the UK, which surfaces often in places like Norn’ Iron and less often in the rest of the nation. It is only our living memory of Adolf Hitler, which prevents us from voting en masse for fascist politicians.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I wonder if anyone has reported the DM to their local police for inciteing hate crime? Though as the poor are the new jewry I don’t suppose a complaint would get very far. It would be good to see the **** who wrote this getting his collar felt, or, in our dreams, dismissed.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Read an article yesterday taken from the Daily Mail in 1938. The headline “German Jews pouring into the country”.

“The way stateless Jews are pouring into every port in the this country is becoming an outrage. I intend to enforce the law to it’s fullest.”In these words Mr Herbert Metcalfe the old street magistrate yesterday referred to the number of aliens entering this country through the “back door”-a problem which The Daily mail has repeatedly pointed.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

“HURRAH FOR THE BLACKSHIRTS!”

corroded
    Free Member

The thing about the Daily Mail is that as the world’s most-visited newspaper website and one of the Uk’s most popular print newspapers, it has to do just one thing very well: articulate the views of a substantial number of people.

Aristotle
    Free Member

For anybody who is taking these negative, unpleasant, nasty opinions about about the Daily Mail at face value, without actually reading reading the paper first-hand, please have a look through a copy in a newsagent.

You’ll find that these views are all entirely justified.

It’s a thoroughly unpleasant, hate-filled publication that is read widely by the harrumphing, but not necessarily well-informed, older generation.

My parents, who were young at the time, used to have it delivered when I was growing up, and I used to read it, thinking that it was news…. I hope it hasn’t affected me too much.

Despite the Mail’s disgust about everything -often with full sets of photographs to illustrate the depravity for readers-, their hugely-viewed website is basically a bit of prurient or hate-fuelled “news” with links to celebrities in bikinis. A winning formula, apparently.

The worst thing is hearing people spout the things they’ve read in the Mail (or the version for people who struggle with big words, the Express) as fact -People in general like to be told what to think and don’t question things if they appear to confirm their prejudices.

With reference to any news source, don’t take what you read or hear as correct without thinking about it. There is often a biased spin on things, especially statistics -often fairly obvious too.

ps. I read the in-laws’ Telegraph occasionally and, despite a veneer of respectability, that isn’t much better…

thx1138
    Free Member

The DM is the new Der Sturhmer?

I wouldn’t go quite that far, but then the DM does employ evil, dangerous hatemongers such as this charming lady:

Whose books are to be found in such places as Excalibur, the online shop of the BNP:

http://www.buyexcalibur.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=207

So actually, you might have a point there…

chakaping
    Free Member

Not much has changed, eh?

robdixon
    Free Member

The times is reporting that Philpott was clearing the equivalent of £100k in salary each year – putting him in the top 2% of earners for the whole country. Not a bad return for not having to do a hard days work since 2004. The £1000 figure is the amount his income dropped when one of his wifettes moved out and is allegedly the motivation for the subsequent attempt the fire / regaining access to the kids and the associated benefits payments.

To be honest everything I’ve read and heard about the guy is just deeply depressing and detracts from the deaths of 6 very very unlucky kids – I just hope it’s a one off and there aren’t more people out there with his weird logic.

Aristotle
    Free Member

The times is reporting that Philpott was clearing the equivalent of £100k in salary each year – putting him in the top 2% of earners for the whole country

I suspect that this could be looked at in greater detail.

One for Tim Harford on R4’s ”More or Less”?

franksinatra

And whilst all this goes on, they still manage to publish a full size front page picture of the Countess of Wessex’s bottom (mondays paper).

* Disclaimer* I know this only because my parents are staying at the moment and they buy the paper.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Vile Product of Capitalism Fueled Greed

Stephen Seddon jailed for 40 years for parents’ murder

“His parents had made him sole beneficiary of their £230,000 estate in their will”

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Six young lives who perished. Just innocent kids with their whole lives ahead of them cut so short. The whole sorry story is unimaginable.

I’m sure their parents will have plenty of time now to think about it. And they will.

As for the Mail…well it prints what its readers deserve.

Aristotle
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Vile Product of Capitalism Fueled Greed

Stephen Seddon jailed for 40 years for parents’ murder

“His parents had made him sole beneficiary of their £230,000 estate in their will”

A fabricated link to provide a counter-balance?

MrsToast
    Free Member

As someone pointed out on Twitter, I’m looking forward to the DM’s “Fantastic Product of Welfare UK” story about JK Rowling…

thx1138
    Free Member

The thing about the Daily Mail is that as the world’s most-visited newspaper website

Their success is largely down to the fact that they are deliberately sensationalist; lurid headlines make for far greater reaction than simply reporting facts. And I’d magine a great deal of advertising revenue is generated through their website. So it’s all part of a careful plan.

Trouble with the Mail, is that while most of it’s journos are simply in a job that pays ok, and one they can just walk away from at the end of the day and not care too much about the crap they write, there are those like Melanie Phillips for whom it is a mouthpiece for their nasty, hate-fuelled invective. And that’s where it becomes dangerous.

richmtb

What worries me isn’t that the Daily Mail have printed that – nothing that hateful rag prints really surprises me.

What worries me is that there are people who rather than reel in disgust from that headline actually buy the paper instead.

rotary
    Free Member

what the headline does is devalues human life. it is an utter insult to the six innocent children who have lost their lives through the ignorance of one man. I doubt the editors/columist/journalist at the DM would have used such headlines if they themselves had to carry the six corpses out of that house

vinnyeh

binners

What this does show is that absolutely anything at all, no matter how vile and tasteless, is fair game to use as a stick to beat the Mail’s perceived enemies, and further its repugnant right wing agenda

A normal person looks at the deaths of 6 children and sees a human tradgedy, a mail journalist instead sees an opportunity to indulge in more vile pontificating!

I actually pity them. Imagine being that cold hearted!

robdixon
    Free Member

Aristotle – I agree it would be interesting to see a “more or less” type analysis (great programme by the way) but the key point is that he forced his partners to pay *all* of the money into his bank account – they weren’t allowed to keep any of it themselves or have their own bank accounts – it’s the control aspect that grates most with me.

For interest, the figures behind the £100K salary claim are:

11 kids @ £20.30 week x 52 weeks = £11,611
    10 kids @ £13.40 week x 52 weeks = £6,968 (he also received the child benefit for kids that weren’t even his!)
    Annual Tax credit on wife 1 ex wages = £20,560
    Annual Tax credit on “partner” ex wages = £17,870
    Housing benefit – £150 a week x 52 weeks = £7,800 (it’s unclear whether this was actually paid directly to him or not though)
    Total net income: £64,809

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘The Daily Mail plumbs the depths and reaches new lows…’ is closed to new replies.