Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • the cost of building your own bike…….
  • ton

has risen by a heck of a lot in the last 2yrs.

just done a build list on crc for a tough type build susser, came in at over 3k.
    had a look on the canyon website at similar type bikes…..how the heck do they do it?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bulk buying of course

SBrock
    Free Member

Untitled by brockelsby2011, on Flickr

Built this for £3400′ lots of parts were bought off eBay, merlin, wiggle etc! Paid full RRP for frame & fork though (£2200)

A lot of satisfaction though building your own bike though, I love building bikes!

ton

looking for something very similar mate, very nice indeed too.
    never bought a full bike, always built my own, like you say, it is very satisfying.

SBrock
    Free Member

I don’t think I will ever buy a complete bike ever again!

I like certain stuff like SRAM gears/shifters, hope hubs, Thomson posts/stems etc!

Yes, it’s more costly, but you have a bike you don’t need to upgrade, just replace worn/broken components!

SBrock
    Free Member

ton – Member
    looking for something very similar mate, very nice indeed too.
    never bought a full bike, always built my own, like you say, it is very satisfying.

POSTED 7 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

A Heckler would be a good start!

chris36860
    Free Member

]null

Built this last month at a cost of just over £4300. The best thing I have ever ridden. Yes its expensive but totally worth every penny. Can’t go wrong with a Heckler.

Search the forsale forums as I found new X0 2 x 10 shifters for £70. Bargain.

highclimber
    Free Member

Depends on how you do it. if you buy new parts you are going to pay through the nose for them but you can get very good 2nds for over 50% off new stuff.

I built my P7 with seconds and I think it would have cost double had I used new parts (the frame was new mind).

chris36860
    Free Member

[/url] santa cruz 003 by Aleks & Chris, on Flickr[/img]

Sorry, better photo 🙂

SBrock
    Free Member

Depends on how you do it. if you buy new parts you are going to pay through the nose for them but you can get very good 2nds for over 50% off new stuff.

I built my P7 with seconds and I think it would have cost double had I used new parts (the frame was new mind).

Too true picked up the Stylo double cranks for £55 new, you just have to look,look,look and be savvy! Elixir CR brakes off STW classifieds £120 new…..bloody bargain!

d45yth
    Free Member

Like others have said, there are always good deals to be had. Anyone who pays full price is an idiot or has too much money! It might be different if you end up buying on finance I suppose.
    People say support your LBS…It’s hard too when you can save hundreds online! I do recommend buying frames from small businesses though, as they will often knock something off if you’ve got the readies.

sam2391
    Free Member

Ive just spent £800 on everything apart from frame. £800 got me new fox van r forks, new slx cranks, new pg990 cassette and kmc chain, used xt brakes, en521 rims on hope hubs, raceface bars and stem, sdg saddle, new front and rear x9 mechs and high roller tyres. Got a few bargins along the way! Just need a frame now…

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Sometimes bargains appear and you have to be fast. Still kicking myself for missing an On One deal where you could get the carbon 456 frame and almost a full XT groupo for £499. my mmmbop frame I picked up for £150.. my Nuke Proof/Sapim/EN521 wheels cost £200..

I look for offers and deals.. have even bought items from Hong Kong and US ebay..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

had a look on the canyon website at similar type bikes…..how the heck do they do it?

Well, I like my pitch butm, I looked at it yesterday before packing it up in a box for holliday and with the exception of the bars (chaged for wider), grips (personal preferance), seapost (for a reverb), gearing (swaped for 10speed) the only original bits are the frame, forks and tyres!

Wheels – rear hub was hopeless
    Cranks – BB was poor
    Headset – went the way of the BB
    Stem – flexy as a flexy thing
    brakes – avid, rear has yet to work properly, just had it’s 5th bleed (been back to fishers once) and a thorough soaking of the pistons in fluid to free it up.

So, that’s how they do it.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

poster above. I have a pitch pro with no original bits other than seatpost and seatpost clamp. Wasteful I guess in retrospect.. original wheels lasted about 5 rides though!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘the cost of building your own bike…….’ is closed to new replies.