Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 202 total)
  • The community here is great, but the forum software and servers SUCK!
  • rOcKeTdOg

PM function? Not needed, people seem to email me from here easily enough

Drac

So it is ‘official STW policy’ to pander to the regular posters at the expense of newbies then….

Or we use a format that works for us and a majority of members, new and old.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Not having PM is a total PITA here.

not sure it is. my email is in my profile. you can email me if you want.

some people don’t have an email address – they have elected to be un-PMable.

this only falls down if you have no email access. (on the internet? hmm?)

Drac

Your profile allows you too add:

Youtube ID

Email

Twiter ID

Flickr ID

So there’s at least 2 ways people can get in touch with you if you add the info.

miketually
    Free Member

Sorry, you are wrong.

Post about racing? Racing forum.
    Post about 29er wheels / frame? 29er forum.
    Post about SS? SS forum.

It is called keeping things on topic.

It’s my new 29er SS racing bike. Oh, it’s made by Ragley, so I’d also need to post it in the “Manufacturers: Ragley” forum.

On here, the topic is bikes. So, I put it in the “bike” forum.

damo2576
    Free Member

Jesus if people think this is big forum you need to get out on the Interweb more!

Drac

Jesus if people think this is big forum you need to get out on the Interweb more!

It’s not as big as some but it’s not a small forum by a long shot. Remember this isn’t some cooperation running this it’s still half a dozen guys and some volunteers.

damo2576
    Free Member

Sure, may the issue is trying to host yourself – outsource to a host who can handle and scale?
    Not sure what forum software you use but I’ve seen simple VBulletin message boards handle over 10m posts, 1-2m members easy.

donsimon
    Free Member

So moderators can swear but the proletariat can’t?

I’m starting to see the OP’s point now and think a change in opinion is in order. If there was a sub division of a sub division which was them sub divided into the “what Mark said on the topic of swearing proles” then the OP would have been able to find Mark’s comments quickly, easily and comfortably without getting twisted knicker syndrome.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it (referring to the division of forums not the server), and that’s not a question of being a luddite.
    Why would you want PMs, if I want to stalk get in touch with someone, I can. If they want privacy, I respect that.

@OP, which of the opposing forums are you trying to promote?

Drac

Sure, may the issue is trying to host yourself

They don’t host themselves.

Not sure what forum software you use but I’ve seen simple VBulletin message boards handle over 10m posts, 1-2m members easy.

Busy server that then with 10 to 5 post per member.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Other forums are available.

Indeed, and they have subdivided forums, which is one of a number of reasons why many of us post more frequently here.

I think quotes work really well on here as well – it encourages people to be selective. And please please no Private Messages. Why would I want a system that means I have to click on a link that arrives in an email and go to a website to respond? If people want to be contacted privately they add their details to their user info.

Why don’t we start a thread with forum feature requests? Kicking off –
    – forum takes you to last read post in a thread
    – simple way of getting ‘my threads’ (ie all the ones you’ve posted to). You can get this with an advanced search but it’s slow and clunky. Old forum had this….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

simon –

simple way of getting ‘my threads’ (ie all the ones you’ve posted to). You can get this with an advanced search but it’s slow and clunky. Old forum had this….

Its in your profile / forum activity

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

simple way of getting ‘my threads’

Profile > Forum actvity

Not so hard is it?
    🙂

EDIT
    Curse my fat fingers, beaten by TJ!

miketually
    Free Member

simple way of getting ‘my threads’ (ie all the ones you’ve posted to). You can get this with an advanced search but it’s slow and clunky.

Is that not just this: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/simons_nicolai-uk

Drac

Simon you can get….oh never mind.

damo2576
    Free Member

They don’t host themselves.

Oh ok – who hosts them?

Busy server that then with 10 to 5 post per member.

You can’t really work it out like that since obviously there’s member attrition – but any forum up at 10m threads is going to be busy from a retrieval point of view. And the point was that off the shelf software and decent hosts seem to handle it fine.

Jamie
    Free Member

– forum takes you to last read post in a thread

Click the time under the freshness column and it does.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Its in your profile / forum activity

D’oh. Hangs head in techno shame. That whole top bar is new to me…

Olly
    Free Member

I like It as It Is. All it needs is a mobile version. Stripped back and resized so I can browse while bored at work.

meehaja
    Free Member

faster forum costs more money, so that’ll be more adverts, which take up more server space making things slower again. I like the layout as it is, it stops it being like every other boring forum. If MBR or whatever is so great, why post here?

websites crash sometimes, during these times i like to leave the house and ride my dandyhorse

Drac

Oh ok – who hosts them?

Not for me to disclose.

You can’t really work it out like that since obviously there’s member attrition – but any forum up at 10m threads is going to be busy from a retrieval point

“600 database queries performed every second during normal conditions.” is a lot of retrievals. 10m post doesn’t mean it’s going to be busy if there’s 2 million members with 5 post each that’s not busy now really.

The issue are being looked at software and hardware wise.

Cougar

Oh ok – who hosts them?

Looks like http://easily.co.uk/ at first glance.

faster forum costs more money

There’s no major problem with speed / performance, when it’s actually up.

GrahamS

Forums with endless categories and sub-divisions are good for the occasional posters/new members because topics can be browsed effectively.

Yes, having a Components:Headsets:Threadless:StarFangledNuts:Installation forum means a new member would know exactly where to ask his question (assuming they were familiar with the terminology), but he/she wouldn’t get an answer because no one is going to idly browse that forum on a regular basis.

Ask about star-fangled nuts on the Bike Forum and you’ll get an answer within 3 minutes, probably from people that didn’t specifically come here to talk about star fangled nuts!

Not sure what forum software you use but I’ve seen simple VBulletin message boards handle over 10m posts

bbPress, as per Drac’s link, and they are apparently the biggest bbPress based forum!

Jamie
    Free Member

Looks like http://easily.co.uk/ at first glance.

I think they just do the domain. The hosting is from Webfusion using the Tristram Centre in Leeds…..possibly.

TheBrick
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    This is not a particularly big forum..
    Isn’t it?

Chat Forum: 1,114 pages
    Bike Forum: 2,054 pages
    For Sale: 2,796 pages
    Wanted: 96 pages

40 thread topics per page = ~242,400 threads some of which are hundreds of posts long.

It is quite a big forum.

Mods: actually is there any reason all the “For Sale” thread are currently kept? I guess it is nice being able to check a seller’s history, but perhaps that could be handled some other way. e.g. a classifieds feedback on the profile page.

The features I mention are still standard on every other forum, both bigger and smaller which would still suggest the problem with implementation the standard features I mention are indicative of another problem with the forum rather than an issue that they are too costly to implement.

Another annoying feature I just though of the fact that the reply box is only at the bottom of the last page rather than on every page. It just makes the use of the forum more `clunky’.

Cougar

The issue are being looked at software and hardware wise.

I think part of the problem is a lack of transparency. An official sticky thread (can we do that?) saying “we’re aware that there’s a problem, this is what we’ve found, this is what we’re doing, this is when we expect things to be resolved” would stop this sort of thread appearing every couple of days.

donsimon
    Free Member

If it works it works, if it’s down it’s down. Not a biggie to find something else in life to do, unless this is life! 😕

Drac

we’re aware that there’s a problem, this is what we’ve found, this is what we’re doing, this is when we expect things to be resolved” would stop this sort of thread appearing every couple of days.

That is a fair point, I’ll fire something off to those that have a better idea me. My info is even a week or so old.

Cougar

Cool. Thanks.

GrahamS

All it needs is a mobile version. Stripped back and resized so I can browse while bored at work.

Looks fine to me:

(STW on iPhone)

damo2576
    Free Member

Hang on a minute, is STW built on WordPress with BBPress forum plugin?!

Jamie
    Free Member

…and we’re back.

sharkbait
    Free Member

1 million posts ain’t that big in the grand scale of things.

bbPress, as per Drac’s link, and they are apparently the biggest bbPress based forum!

This could be the biggest issue if the software has not been tested with these sorts of numbers.
    Better software and hardware with more scaleability is the answer………. all that’s needed is a cheque 😐

Edit: Haha…… finally managed to post this. Is that irony?? 😀

Drac

Well that’s tonight’s tea sorted.

Drac

1 million posts ain’t that big in the grand scale of things.

It’s over 1 million on the bike forum alone.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Graham, you should turn your bluetooth off when you’re not using it. Saves battery! 😉

How did you get the iPhone screen shot BTW?

Jamie
    Free Member

How did you get the iPhone screen shot BTW?

Hold home and sleep button at the same time.

Edit: Damn the iPhone 4 has a lot more res than my old 3GS 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s over 1 million on the bike forum alone.

Yes, and in the grand scale of things it’s not that big. Let me put it like this, I have a [older than I’m happy with] server in my office that’s running a database of over 5 million records for one client and I don’t think that’s big at all.
    We don’t have the same number of requests by any stretch of the imagination (but that’s dealt with by hardware and load balancing) but it gives you an idea of scale.

Drac

Hold the power button and press the home key iirc.

Cougar

I think they just do the domain. The hosting is from Webfusion using the Tristram Centre in Leeds…..possibly.

Nice spot. I think you’re right. The server might not be there physically, it could be routed anywhere internally, but that seems to be where everything’s pointing.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘The community here is great, but the forum software and servers SUCK!’ is closed to new replies.