Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 202 total)
  • The community here is great, but the forum software and servers SUCK!
  • 7hz
    Free Member

This site goes down with monotonous regularity.

The forums are not finely divided enough. Topics sink onto the 2nd page sometimes within hours.

Singletrack need to upgrade the servers / fire the sys admin, and the bike forum needs split into various topic ala MTBR.

That is all.

mogrim

The forums are not finely divided enough. Topics sink onto the 2nd page sometimes within hours.

No no no! Bring back the old single forum, it was much better. Thank god for the “Overview” link.

You’re not wrong about the monotonous regularity bit, though.

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s got to be a joke in here somewhere….. 😈

And it’s alot easier to find the second page than trying to remember which sub division of which sub division I posted that black spokes are faster than silver. 🙄

Pehaps a new section for time wasting threads??

pedalhead
    Free Member

forums with loads of subdivisions = horrible

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahhh 7hz, you made the same mistake as me… posting a preference that old school STWers don’t share, sit back and enjoy the telling off 😆

(i agree with you by the way, sub-divisions would make it easier to avoid all the car threads, political threads and stuff.. meaning i could focus on a “messing around” type sub-section and a “videos” section)

nuke

Harry_the_Spider

NO NO NO Don’t sub divide any further![/u] It’s spot on as it is when it is working.

Haze

Format is fine, but the hamsters need a holiday.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

forums with loads of subdivisions = horrible

yes but they work, ive never understand the ‘form over function’ ethic of this forum….

i go on loads of other ‘sub division’ type forums that have just as much traffic if not more and never go down. you soon get used to them.

if you want to post a questions about a car, you post it in the car section…

crazy-legs

Forums with endless categories and sub-divisions are horrible, this is perfect.
    And if you hadn’t noticed, if you click on your user name up at the very top, you can find all your posts immediately making it dead easy to track old threads down.

mogrim

yes but they work, ive never understand the ‘form over function’ ethic of this forum….

I disagree, they don’t work: you miss loads of potentially interesting threads because they’re on a board you never check out.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I say keep it as it is. I couldn’t deal with anymore than 2 seperate distinct areas to look at.

Sometimes I look on the bike forum and someones started a ‘chat’ topic there. This makes me sad.

Imagine how sad multiple divisions would make me…

pedalhead
    Free Member

Personally I think what makes this forum a nice place to hang out is that there is quite a focus on banter & interesting/fun off-topic posts. I’m a member of about a million (give or take) other forums & whilst I don’t think this format would work on most of them, particularly those of a more technical nature, somehow it suits STW to be like this imho. If it were down to me I’d roll back the software to the days where you could see who was online over there on the left <—

Jamie
    Free Member

This forum will be sub-divided over my dead body. 8)

…especially as we need a permanent edit function and a pm function more.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think that you’ll find that 203mm rotors are overkill on an XC bike, but you can always give it a try.

mrmo
    Free Member

i find having lots of sub forums a nightmare, unless you know exactly what you want to read you never find anything. You have a question where does it go to get an answer?

Leave it as is it works, and works far better than most other forums out there.

D0NK

people can’t seem to manage bike/none-bike/classifieds how the hell are they going to manage with even more categories.

I think I’d miss some decent threads if it was split too much.

Reliability problems? Have I missed a recent crash? I’ve not been on here as much as usual – sorry must try harder.

organic355
    Free Member

Please dont subdivide any more, some of the best threads on here are about stuff I have no interest in or expert opinion to offer, and just click on because I am bored!! I would miss them otherwise!

EDIT: D0NK beat me to it!

7hz
    Free Member

Luddites!

At least a few categories would be better than the current cluster****.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jog on?

organic355
    Free Member

Abuses this place then goes for swear filter avoidance!!, ban him!!

philconsequence
    Free Member

how come nobody jumped on the PM suggestion up there?! when i suggested it i got told off…. i demand equality 😈

thomthumb
    Free Member

of all the forums i am a member of i come back here time and time again. the reason: because the forums aren’t separated.

wwaswas

Personally I think all they need is a SQL guru to have a really good look at the database and give it a bit of tuning.

Nothing against TdB but, in my experience, even the most db savvy of developers won’t have as much success with a badly performing database as a ‘proper’ db Admin.

Anyway, currently, servers are in a state of flux as I understand it so I’ll reserve judgement until they’ve finished making chnages.

A bit more info on what’s happenign when might be handy, though.

Jamie
    Free Member

philconsequence:

how come nobody jumped on the PM suggestion up there?! when i suggested it i got told off…. i demand equality

No-one likes a grass Phil.

IanMunro
    Free Member

At least a few categories would be better than the current cluster****.

So OT would be divided into sections such as –

Angry people
    Deluded people
    Drunk people
    Mental people
    Dumb people.

I’m just not too sure that it would make it easier working out where to post.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Can I stab him with it? Can I, can I?? He only posts over there<< normally anyway.. please??

philconsequence
    Free Member

if i’m going down i’m taking you all with me! 😆

GrahamS

The forums are not finely divided enough.

Bike / Chat / Classifieds. + Overview

Seems pretty perfect to me. Simple and works very well.

I hate forums with 147 sub-topic forums each with a single lonely post in them (usually with a reply saying something like “Wrong forum you idiot: this forum is Bottom Brackets: Shimano: General. Your post should be in Bottom Brackets: Shimano: Square Taper: UN26”

organic355
    Free Member

I only ever use “overview” anyway!

7hz
    Free Member

PM system as well – yes please.

Can we drag this forum into the new millennium please?

Sorry about the swear.

This is an improvement for a start – http://wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesizer/content.php?theme=2&music=4&url=www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-community-here-is-great-but-the-forum-software-and-servers-suck

BigJohn

I wish this forum was not as nice to use. Then I would get my life back.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It doesnt need dividing up any more !

I like being able to browse the chat forum just to see what is being talked about, might be stuff I had never thought about which other wise I would miss.

The search function can be a bit annoying but helps you find anything you should wish.

The downtime and glitches can be annoying at times, but I dont pay to come here so I dont see its really some thing I can get too upset about. If I was paying for lots of annoying flashy advertising though, I think I would get a tad upset.

Jamie
    Free Member

Heh…that Geocitiesizer is pretty cool. Takes me back….

DezB
    Free Member

I like it when it goes down. I get work done.

Here’s another cluster of ***s

Stuey01
    Free Member

I like this forum layout. Shame about the people, but you can’t have everything 😉

I would like a PM function though.

Drac

As in sometimes on a Sunday evening unless there’s maintenance going on to make it stable. You must permanently think you have diarrhoea unless you only shit once a week.

It’s a busy forum, subdivisions aren’t going to happen they’ve already divided a few times from what they were. Your not going to get a multi divided forum on here, as you can see a majority don’t want it.

PM will put extra pressure on the DB so unlikely to happen.

Personally I think all they need is a SQL guru to have a really good look at the database and give it a bit of tuning.

Toms are doing just that they’re working behind the scenes and have a few plans, it takes time. “…600 database queries performed every second during normal conditions.” is a lot of pressure.

The server has been upgraded and was due some hardware tests, as I mentioned in the sticky this may have been in the early hours hence the downtime earlier.

These problems aren’t being ignored, if you think they’re causing you worry not visiting your favourite site you imagine how the guys who make a living from ST feel.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The weakness with the forum as I see it.

1. Opening a previously read thread does not take you to where you were last.

2. No distinction on posts between read and unread / new posts.

3. No quote buttons on posts make quoting needlessly awkward.

All simple and basic features.

Also when maintenance is being done a holding page is nice feature.

Jamie
    Free Member

As in sometimes on a Sunday evening unless there’s maintenance going on to make it stable. You must permanently think you have diarrhoea unless you only shit once a week.

If we ever get avatars Drac, may I suggest this:

😉

wwaswas

Thanks Drac – as I also said things are changing and there’s no point getting upset ‘mid-flow’.

However, I think more info on what the issues are in the background might help defuse concern without necessarily openign the debate for everyone with a bit of db experience to chip in with a solution that’s ‘bound to work’.

It’s like when the train’s sat outside the station – people stay calmer of the guard keeps them informed about what’s happening…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘The community here is great, but the forum software and servers SUCK!’ is closed to new replies.