Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • The Changing Face of Mountain Biking: Up vs Down, Fitness vs Courage
  • globalti
    Free Member

XC and lycra-clad still works in South Africa where mountain biking is popular thanks to the dangerous roads and the massive choice of places to ride, with absolutely no restrictions at all.

There aren’t many roads here: http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#11/27.32685/-26.79768/yellow/bike

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a big place, you need to know where to look.

amedias
    Free Member

so in summary : different people like different things! 🙂

FWIW, I like up, love a good techy climb, I like along, flowy speeder bike style, or almost trials hop-fest, I like down, fast and swoopy, or jumpy, or slow and techy, I also like riding to a ‘place’ and riding back.

I get that some people favour certain aspects almost to the point of disliking the others, but then we’re all different and you can’t please everyone!

Andy-R

andyrm – Member

Technical climbing has always seemed a bit pointless – as has all the old fashioned “no dabs” mentality around it.

Obviously no trials rider in you then 😉

amedias
    Free Member

Indeed, it’s the uphill version of trying to do a DH without bottling any features or crashing.

I love a good tricky climb, I seek them out, much to the annoyance of some of my friends 😈

For balance I also seek out the best descents, which they have less of a problem with for some reason

andytherocketeer

i have pedals. they go all the way round and make my bike go uphills.

seems strange having 10 or 11 gears, pushing up or hitching a lift, then the only pedalling is one half turn between each berm to get the pedals in the right position for a bend in the other direction 😉

doesn’t necessarily need to be technical uphill. just interesting, or scenic is good too.

but I’m one of those luddites with 3 chainrings still. and use them all. and when in “the Alps*”, I have actually pedalled up, putting the mountain in to mountainbike rather than just roll down an (admittedly technical) BMX track.

(*which seems to equate to “Morzine” and “Les Arcs”)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

good effort there Andy getting 1x, BMX tracks and all that in one post

BMX in Les Arcs
    [video]http://vimeo.com/album/1988585/video/45373859[/video]

richmtb

I’m wondering whether this a real trend or a marketing trend?

The marketers have always gravitated to the downhill side of the market, this has always been the higher profile part of the sport even though it might not be relevant to what most of us do on a bike. Its an easy angle to push these days given how capable the average “Trail” bike is.

I’ve always enjoyed the challenge of a good climb, though.

Boring fireroads aren’t derserving of much effort but a nice switch backy bit of singletrack is a rewarding challenge. If you are rewarded by a nice descent then even better.

ajc
    Free Member

Rode up pitch hill on Sunday to see people pushing their bikes up a gentle slope to the top, presumably so they can session the xc single track. Got to peaslake to hear someone moaning that bike park Wales was fully booked for 3 months (the uplift) so they weren’t going to go. I just don’t understand going out for a bike ride and then pushing everywhere. That’s just taking your bike for a walk.

oliverracing

yeah, I’ve noticed that I often come away from trail centers disappointed at the climbs, I like descending too but most places seem to have that well sorted.

One place I was really impressed with the climb was the first major one on the brechfa black route, good techy steep and long enough to really hurt. I also quite like the techy climb on whites level at afan.

I will confess that my trail center bike of choice (also is my 100mm “long travel” bike) has bar ends and runs double chainrings most of the time! The rest do have curly bars though!

grenosteve
    Free Member

I like a good downhill section with jumps and berms etc.. but big climbs, on or off road, are the most rewarding bit of cycling for me.

Did a nice half-road half-byway climb at the weekend, a good 12k in length, and nearly 400m up to one of the highest paths in the peak. 🙂 The downhill wasn’t amazing, but I enjoyed the 20 min rest at the top while I enjoyed the amazing views (and tried not to be blown away!).

You need to ride big hills to see these places…

I do get the impression a lot of riders shown up trail centres and only do downhill runs, and just crawl up or push up the up hills, as a means to an end. Each to their own though, as long as your having fun. 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that I often come away from trail centers disappointed at the climbs

backwards nightride 😉

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Been riding since the early 90s and it’s always been about the jumps and the downs for me!

chiefgrooveguru

The Trans-Provence strikes me as the ideal in mountain biking.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘The Changing Face of Mountain Biking: Up vs Down, Fitness vs Courage’ is closed to new replies.