Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The bullying Experiment – what would you do?
  • organic355
    Free Member

I would like to think I would help, but it would depend on if i think I could actually help (and take the guy). I am a brown (2nd kyu) belt in karate, but all my training teaches me to avoid confrontation. I also have a wife and a 7 week old baby so also have this to consider.

what would you do?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EisZTB4ZQxY[/video]

richmtb

Well its all shot on US college campuses, so its not two Neds arguing in the street.

I think I’d probably at least ask what the hell they were doing, even if I didn’t physically intervene, or just film it on my phone!

wwaswas

In the US?

Don’t you just shoot either one of them and then ask the other what was going on?

5thElefant
    Free Member

You shoot them both and let God sort it out.

aP
    Free Member

15 years ago I very quietly intervened on a busy streett with two people, one of whom was verbally and physically intimidating the other. I got my nose broken for my troubles. I must admit its rather put me off getting involved.

organic355
    Free Member

true though I would like to see the experiment replicated on British high street, to see what would happen.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’d like to think that I’d step in to help, but it would have to depend on the environment, the people involved, time of day, who I’m with etc, etc.

A friend of mine once stepped in to stop a girl being attached by her ‘boyfriend’ and was stabbed in the back of the leg by the girl he was trying to help (although I think this was probably because he was a little heavy handed)!

I was once walking home from the pub and heard a cry for help from a dark street and I had a real moral dilemma as to whether I should do anything, in the end I decided to investigate and found a guy who needed help (he’d recently had an operation and had fallen) so I helped him get home (and felt good for doing what in hindsight was the right thing), but it was pretty scary as it could have easily been a trap to rob me!

cynic-al
    Free Member

A guy near me (good area) was kicked to death after trying to intervene in a group assault, have to say those sorts of stories put me off. No (good) experience of that sort of situation either.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve only intervened once. Some random fella was having seven shades beaten out of him in the street across from our house, he was on the floor taking a kicking and not defending himself at all. Fortunately much shouting as I ran across the road caused the assailants to run off so it never got into any kind of confrontation, which I guess is probably lucky for me.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Few years ago three guys giving folk some grief in the Bullring in Brum, one of them made the mistake of grabbing my shoulder from behind, after sorting him out i made a swift exit.
    Probably would have just gone about my own business if i hadn’t been drawn into the situation.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

15 years ago I very quietly intervened on a busy streett with two people, one of whom was verbally and physically intimidating the other. I got my nose broken for my troubles. I must admit its rather put me off getting involved.

I did the same but it wasn’t my nose that got broken. So it’s swings and roundabouts really. If you don’t agree with someone physically intimidating someone else, say something.

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve not seen such a thing outside of work, that I can remember anyway, but have wondered about it. I reckon if you are going to intervene, better to face and talk to the ‘victim’ and try and get him away, rather than the aggressor. If you get in between them facing the aggressor, who will be full of adrenaline, you’re just going to appear to him as another threat. Of course that means you have your back to him, but you’ve chosen to get involved anyway so I reckon the less of a threat you appear to him the better. Always depends on circumstances though – kids with you, other people about, loads of factors.

hilldodger
    Free Member

If it didn’t involve people outside my immediate family, then I’d just walk on by. Not my problem and no intention of getting stabbed up to save a random punter.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

If it didn’t involve people outside my immediate family, then I’d just walk on by. Not my problem and no intention of getting stabbed up to save a random punter.

tazzymtb

Ive stepped in, in the past and would do so again. The fact I look like a terrifying mofo kinda helps. Wtf is wrong with people that they would walk on by and not step in? If you were taking a kicking and could see oeople walking by..or just filming on their phone would you be thinking ” yeh, i can see your point…thanks for not helping..I’d hate for you to be inconvenienced by your own humanity” or “please for love of god someone help me!”

dbcooper
    Free Member

my husband stopped one like this by running up yelling “the police are coming quick run away” and then helping the girl to her feet whilst calling 999.

boxfish
    Free Member

A friend of the family was kicked unconscious and subsequently blinded by two thugs for trying to be a good samaritan. The two thugs responsible got away with it as witnesses could/would not identify who made the telling blow. Makes me sick.

dabble
    Free Member

i have a set of telescopic bombers in my back pocket

cynic-al
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    Wtf is wrong with people that they would walk on by and not step in?

Erm…

I got my nose broken for my troubles

etc…

Sidney
    Free Member

To my shame I witnessed something similar at bus stop 10 years ago (I was ~24) and I didn’t intervene.

Two teenage girls were sitting waiting for a bus in Liverpool (nice area but close to toxteth) whilst all of a sudden a large mob (~20-30 kids probably 11-16 in age) came to the bus stop following an older teenage girl. This girl stood about two steps in front of these girls looking down at them. She started saying what the f are you looking at and then hit them a couple of times. They walked off crying and I did nothing. I often think back guiltily to that day to what I could have done differently. I like to think if it was more serious harm would I have acted differently but I honestly don’t know. I also like to think I would act differently now.

Another incident I recall is being woken in the middle of the night when visiting friends in Stoke. The guy (friend of a friend) waking me had been beaten up and he told me my mate was getting beaten up in an alley by three guys. they got jumped on the way back from the union which I had left earlier. I went out there alone as no one else in the house wanted to so I could look for my mate. Was shit scared but did it. Luckily my mate had got away.

So I feel like I have the ability go out against my fear and try and do the right thing but didn’t choose correctly on that night in Liverpool.

Sidney
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeCyrOtNR3Q[/video]

Actually what we need in any situation is supergranny!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘The bullying Experiment – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.