Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • The Budget
  • Farmer_John
    Free Member

Anyway, so where’s the double dip recession that Labour and the Lib Dems were adamant would happen?

MSP

So by announcing the change, he has enabled the tax avoidance that he premisses to be clamping down on.

He’s played that one worse than Brown did when selling the nations gold.

binners

Anyway, so where’s the double dip recession that Labour and the Lib Dems were adamant would happen?

As opposed to the strong, surging economic growth we’ve been experiencing for the last couple of years? 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MSP – its a tax question isn’t it? Correct me if I am wrong, but how can it be introduced before the next fiscal year? But your point is interesting as is the pattern of behaviour re tax rates caused last year.

juanking

Trail Rat, I know exactly who you mean and the way that company gets permission for all of these developments is beyond me. Plus I think he is a nob of similar standing as the UTG fella.

MSP

Is it not the next fiscal year +1?

allthepies
    Free Member

VAT now to be applied to the rental of hairdressers’ chairs.

FFS, scandalous.

richc
    Free Member

Not sure where you have been the last few months, but are currently living in it in the UK.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes changes from April 2013. TBH, not sure how these things work ie, how quickly these changes can be introduced. Seems clear that couldn’t affect current FY 2011/12. But 2012/13?

MSP – that’s one of those basic questions that seems difficult to find an answer. Hopefully someone better informed will help soon!

binners

VAT now to be applied to the rental of hairdressers’ chairs.

Will this include Hora’s car?

yunki
    Free Member

the ‘Sheriff of Nottingham budget’ as it’s being referred to in some circles..

stumpyjon

At least the proposals for reducing child benefit entitlement are a bit more reasonable (though I doubt TJ would agree).

druidh
    Free Member

VAT changes to chairlifts too – might make Fort William uplift more expensive?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yunki – there are always winners and losers but overall a neutral budget as foreshadowed.

OBR:

The ‘takeaways’ and ‘giveaways’ in the March 2012 Budget broadly balance out over the five years of our latest forecast, leaving the Government on course to meet its two fiscal targets with much the same margin for error as in November.

vinnyeh

The chancellor said the 50p rate was uncompetitive, raised “next to nothing” and would fall to 45p next year.

Why not drop it back to 40p then if it’s nothing more than decorative?

midlifecrashes

Wouldn’t an “all in this together” budget mean scrapping of all tax and personal allowances, and a flat rate tax on all earnings either by an individual or a company?

MSP

The ‘takeaways’ and ‘giveaways’ in the March 2012 Budget broadly balance out over the five years of our latest forecast, leaving the Government on course to meet its two fiscal targets with much the same margin for error as in November.

Thats “neutral” in the Governments future budgeting forecasts, not in its relative impact on different sectors of society.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

“Wouldn’t an “all in this together” budget mean scrapping of all tax and personal allowances, and a flat rate tax on all earnings either by an individual or a company? “

Yes, but then the 2/3 of households who currently receive more in benefits than they pay in tax would have to pay more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15843746

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

True MSP – as I said there are always winners and losers and the next few hours of news bulletin researchers will be frantically searching for representatives of both for the rent-a-quotes

MrsToast
    Free Member

Well, on the plus side there’s tax breaks for the UK game and animation industries, hopefully this means we can now compete against Canada and France.

I wonder if Activision and Disney would have still shut down their UK studios last year if the tax breaks had been in place when originally planned. :/

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘The Budget’ is closed to new replies.