Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • The Budget
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

…is go

I predict increased tax on 29″ tyres, Scottish energy consumption and dropper seatposts

binners

I predict him really shocking everyone by not dropping the top rate of tax from 50% at all, but instead raising it to 85%, then telling the bankers et al, that if they don’t like it they can **** right off!!

Then raise the level of earnings before tax to £12,000. He is then carried aloft through the streets of London by the smiling, whooping, dancing working classes 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I predict that a small increase already planned in the taxable threshold for most earners will be hyped to high heaven and more than offset by a top-end giveaway, and that few people will notice or care about it.

highclimber
    Free Member

construction firms get extra funding to make cheap crap matchstick housing to sell off at exorbitant prices. YAY!

kimbers

i predict lots of posturing, stern phrases and empty rhetoric

from a chancellor who doesnt really know what to do (not that the opposition seem to know much more)

trail_rat
    Free Member

“construction firms get extra funding to make cheap crap matchstick housing to sell off at exorbitant prices. YAY! “

this – and the fact that people dont know any better …..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wonder why Vince Cable didn’t get a seat? Why is he left standing by the Speaker’s Chair?

binners

because he’s a minor irritant and utter irrelevance

highclimber
    Free Member

Why is he left standing by the Speaker’s Chair?

I don’t think he is an MP is he? hence does not have a ‘seat’

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agree binners, but someone told me he was also Business Secretary and an MP for Twickenham. Must be wrong!

I wonder how the seating is decided?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Paper, Scissors, Stone. Obviously.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sounds like A level Econ students better read the HMRC and OBR reports on impact of tax changes published today.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So can Ed Milliband now step up to the plate?

brassneck

When the music stops ….

chewkw
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Ed’s tactic is to oppose everything … 😆

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Seems like a pretty balanced budget – 7 or 15% stamp duty on “mansions”, 2m taken out of paying tax, reduction in tax paid by people on minimum wage of 50%. Nice to see David (Not Ed! – edit) Millipede already slating the government for pandering to the rich. Maybe he wasn’t listening…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Who?

🙂

binners

Definitely time to pack in smoking. Again.

highclimber
    Free Member

So stamp duty for land over 2million is up to 7% but the income tax people with the income to afford such land is reduced by 10%.

chewkw
    Free Member

What’s with Ed always mentioning ” … same old Tories …”?

Has he no new thing to say? Can’t he be a bit more creative?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

VAT on sport nutrition drinks. WHAT?

So these have gone up in price more than fags.

You couldn’t make it up.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Looks like we’ll be paying 20% more for sports nutrition drinks such as SIS and Hi Five etc as they now attract vat. Get your orders in now.
    Edit: Too slow again!

binners

Sock it to him Ed! You’re a tiger! Ggggrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

hora
    Free Member

construction firms get extra funding to make cheap crap matchstick housing to sell off at exorbitant prices.

Around Manchester the flats going up look shoddily constructed. I’d say they were built along the lines of commercial 30yr-lifespan buildings..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Balls’ face is a picture – is he thinking, “6m, 12m, 24m, how long ’til I have got this guys job?”

camo16
    Free Member

It’s hurting but it’s not working.

Rhyming gold from Ed right there. 😉

Suitably raucous behaviour from the HoC. I was wavering, but listening to the rah-rah-toilet paper heckling I realise these chaps deserve their huge salaries and über-perk lifestyle. It’s pure democracy in action, people.

😐

MSP

Any details on “closing the tax loopholes”?

Or is this just hyperbole to sell the tax cut for the wealthiest?

Suitably raucous behaviour from the HoC. I was wavering, but listening to the rah-rah-toilet paper heckling I realise these chaps deserve their huge salaries and über-perk lifestyle. It’s pure democracy in action, people.

Yep, the mother of parliaments is roundly mocked by all other nations 😳

camo16
    Free Member

Or is this just hyperbole to sell the tax cut for the wealthiest?

This one.

loum
    Free Member

Today is the end of “we’re all in it together”.

Most memorable quote of the day, don’t reckon he thought of it himself though 😉

warton
    Free Member

so, low and middle earners get an extra 136 quid a year, by way of the increase in Personal allowance. high earners get an extra 5 pence on every pound over teh 150k threshold (and they get their 136 quid too)

keep on sticking it to the rich george 😥

loum
    Free Member

Radio 4 had that as a “£40,000 tax cut for 14,000 millionaires”

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Any details on “closing the tax loopholes”?

Stamp duty land tax on properties over £2m bought by a company is going to increase to 15% from tonight – he also made crystal clear he will close down any avoidance schemes pro-actively, and importantly, retrospectively should efforts be taken to avoid the tax. That sends a very strong signal that “creative” schemes will be clamped down on.

vinnyeh

Are there really 2 million earning between £7475 and £9205 annually?

Hell, the minimum full-time wage for even 18-20 year olds is more than that.
    That’s quite sad.

so, low and middle earners get an extra 136 quid a year, by way of the increase in Personal allowance. high earners get an extra 5 pence on every pound (and they get their 136 quid too)

keep on sticking it to the rich george

aah, envy.

Wait til they decide to stop renting a bedsit and buy a mansion though, then we’ll stiff ’em.

binners

That sends a very strong signal that “creative” schemes will be clamped down on.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Same as banking regulation

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Warton – earners over £100K lose already lose their personal allowance – £1 reduction for every £2 earnt. So by £110K, earners at their level don’t get any personal allowance at all – and anyone earning between £100K and £115K effectively pays a marginal tax rate of 60%.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Around Manchester the flats going up look shoddily constructed. I’d say they were built along the lines of commercial 30yr-lifespan buildings.. “

there is a certain block of flats in aberdeen with a 4 person limit on the kitchen floor. (despite the room being big enough to comfortably get more folk in

i best not say who built them as ill get done most likely

but a house party went wrong when as you do a few folk were chatting in the kitchen and the floor decided to fail – not catastrophically but still a failure – rather than fit the correct floor boards instead of cheap ones in the other flats – he issued a notice saying that there was a 4 person limit in the kitchens of the flats ….

looked at a 5 year old house in blackburn(aberdeen) with cracks you could fit your finger in between walls and roof and down one wall corner in……. yet the 60 year old house built from real brick (including interior walls) is not showing any signs of movement…..

so yes goverenment keep this country in business by making buildings that will fall apart and need rebuilt in 30 years due to poor construction methods – planned obscelence much – the cashcow that keeps on giving !

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MSP – yes. Interesting to note his admission that gap between now and introduction will lead to loss of revenue (cant remember exact number) as people avoid tax in next 12 month.

OBR:

As discussed further in Box 4.2, a key driver of this shortfall is lower-than-expected revenue from the 50 per cent additional rate of income tax introduced in April 2010.

Estimating the size of such behavioural responses is very difficult, especially for high- income individuals who are likely to be more willing and able to alter their working lives and financial arrangements in response to tax changes than the bulk of the population. The overall size of the behavioural response can be captured by estimating the Taxable Income Elasticity (TIE), the overall responsiveness of total taxable incomes to changes in marginal tax rates. The March 2010 costing used a TIE of 0.35, implying that the introduction of the 50 per cent rate would cut the total taxable income of the affected taxpayers by 5.9 per cent.

HMRC have now undertaken the first ex post analysis of the 50 per cent yield, based on 2010-11 self-assessment tax returns. One striking finding is that high-income individuals appear to have shifted at least £16 billion of income that would have been taxed in future years into 2009-10 so that it would be taxed at 40 per cent rather than 50 per cent. This has a one-off cost to the Exchequer of around £1 billion. The scale of forestalling, which was not factored into the March 2010 Budget costing at all, illustrates how willing and able high-income individuals are to adjust their behaviour in response to changes in tax rates.

Using a methodology broadly consistent with that of Brewer et al, and adjusting for forestalling, the HMRC study also suggests that the underlying behavioural response to the 50 per cent rate has been more powerful than the March 2010 Budget costing suggested. It points to a TIE around or above the Brewer et al level and significantly higher than 0.35. In its costing of the move to a 45 per cent rate, the Government has assumed a TIE of 0.45 – broadly in line with the Brewer et al estimate. We believe that this is a reasonable and central estimate, both for the costing and for our underlying forecast. Taken at face value the HMRC study might suggest an even higher TIE, but this would risk placing put too much weight on a single year’s outturn evidence – especially given the complications from disentangling the forestalling effect. There is also reason to believe that the behavioural response to the cut in the tax rate may be smaller than to the increase, because of the costs involved in swiftly reversing expensive decisions on retirement, migration, tax planning and evasion. But it is very important to emphasise the significant uncertainties around all such estimates.

midlifecrashes

Part time work vinneyh. Plenty of parents especially out there take shop work in school hours only, or students doing a few shifts of retail or bar work a week.

wrecker
    Free Member

VAT on sport nutrition drinks. WHAT?

That is going to monumentally **** some peoples businesses overnight. Wonder if protein powder counts?

gonefishin
    Free Member

So stamp duty for land over 2million is up to 7% but the income tax people with the income to afford such land is reduced by 10%.

Nice mangling of percentages there. If you are going to apply the relative change in tax rates then it should be “stamp duty up by 40% and income tax down 10%”

Of course comparisons between stamp duty and income tax are quite silly as people tend not to buy new houses every year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘The Budget’ is closed to new replies.