Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The blurry lines between bike models & what travel?
  • topangarider
    Free Member

Looking to delve into full sus for the first time.

Currently riding a Soul with 130mm forks – mainly Peaks, cannock, dalby, Yorks Dales areas (peaks mostly).

Ride everything from polaris challenge type events, Wiggle Enduro6, SITS, Bonty 24/12 – as well as loving the trail centre stuff.

Finally realised I ‘need’ a full susser, but what travel. I’ve always thought about 120mm (Trek EX8 perhaps), but I can’t help but lean towards 150mm (e.g. Remedy), with the thought that I’ll still have the Soul for the more XC stuff.

Read the Remedy review in What MTB which mentioned “whats the point of the EX8, when the Remedy is so versatile”

What’s the STW opinion – what do you ride, i.e. where and on what?

TheFlyingOx

Well my Pronghorn is pretty lush, with 150mm rear and 160mm front. Climbs well, descends well, weighs in under 28lbs with a fairly standard build, although in reality they’re probably a bit overpriced and pretty damned fugly.

If you fancy shorter(ish) I’m hearing nothing but praise for the Transition Bandit.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I went for a Remedy when it came out in 08. I had an EX8 for the weekend first, but when I demoed the remedy I was immediately going faster and jumping off stuff that I was nervous about before. After riding both I concluded the Fuel was to similar to my hardtail to justify all the extra cash. The Remedy allowed me to have fun on some DH days and generally steeper stuff than I would have otherwise attemped.

Then that frame got replaced by a 2011 remedy, which was back down to 150mm and steeper HA but still with my Lyriks…nicer on singletrack, slightly more nervous on steep stuff.

Then that got nicked, so now I’m going for a Slash, which is like the 08 bike all over again! Trek have really blurred the boundaries over the last few years. I almost went for the 9.7 2012 Remedy but in the end chose the Slash as it has the chunky Lyriks and I have a mmmbop too. For your requirements I imagine the remedy would be perfect.

swoosh
    Free Member

I have a 2010 Boardman FS pro with 120mm front and rear which has done everything in the Peaks/Lakes/Cannock/Long Mynd fine for me.

I’ve taken it down The Beast, Stanage Plantation and Helvellyn which are probably some of the ‘biggest’ stuff you can do in the uk on a regular trail ride without seeking out specific DH stuff.

I’m sure a bike with more travel will allow you to go slightly faster more confidently but sometimes it’s nice to know your limits and still have some input into your riding.

Conversely, I don’t find too much on local loops where a rigid bike will be just fine too as it’s sub 27lbs.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I do pretty much the riding you do and ride an Anthem X with 100mm travel, I dont see the need for more.

People buy a bike with the amount of travel they think they need or want. The way bikes are going at the minute, people are led to beleive that they think and want more travel.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Have a look at the specialized stumpjumper evo as well or if you can find a cheap pitch buy that. Pitches are dh orientated but kit one up for xc and they are superb. Ive known of two that have sold for 400quid recently and thats a superb bargain.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of different bikes and combinations thereof over the past few years but have finally settled on a light hardtail with a 150mm fork and a 160mm full-susser for my XC/AM riding.

So yes, I’d say a Soul and Remedy would be a good combo and offer a certain amount of overlap while still being clearly different bikes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘The blurry lines between bike models & what travel?’ is closed to new replies.