Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The Bike Chain Edinburgh best LBS?
  • FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Fantastic service from these guys, quite blown away by them going the extra mile.
    Truly independent service,
    I thought my LBS in Cardiff was good until now.
    Only wish I was closer to pop in 😀

ton

2nded 8)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

3rded.. 8)

And their not local… 😥

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rickmeister

4thstendid

Top team in there. Really helpful…

That’s good to know. They recently became a Dialled Bikes dealer.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Not been in to the bike chain, but surprised that noone’s said how good the bikeworks are?

GW
    Free Member

erm.. not being local would negate however good they are for me.

druidh
    Free Member

Yeah – not exactly an LBS if you live in Cardiff.

Best BS wouldn’t quite have the same ring to it though 🙂

MussEd
    Free Member

GW – the clue’s in the title I suppose….how can you vote it your best LBS if it isn’t local?

I’ve nowt against the place, folk have always looked after me for small purchases and a couple of friends for significantly bigger buys…but folk from Wales and Yorkshire voting it their best LBS? The STW Hive mentality is stronger on a Friday afternoon I suppose.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – Member

Best BS wouldn’t quite have the same ring to it though

BS – Bullshine?????? 😉 Pretty good at that as well

Love you guys really

GW
    Free Member

IMO there are no longer any bike shops in Edinburgh worth actually travelling to. (for me, personally anyway)

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Defo the bestest bike shoppe in the capital for me, even tho it’s a b!tch for me to get to sometimes.

Would certainly recommend dropping in for a gander if you’re in town, look out for a guy called Mark tho… he’s a bit weird. 😉

Thomo.

coastkid
    Free Member

22 miles away but best local as on my route into town 😮
    free postage on deliverys too…
    nice bunch of lovely chaps…
    can straighten any wheel too… :mrgreen:

coastkid
    Free Member

whats going free for the plug? 😉

daveb
    Free Member

I use them a lot, very helpful and excellent work on my bikes recently. They are just round the corner from my work so very easy to get to.

They keep a good stock of kit and can usually get stuff in quickly so all good for me.

They also do an online deal for STW users. I think the code to put into the voucher box is TBCSTW (or maybe its STWTBC) and it gives you an additional 5% off their online prices.

ChrisL

If you want a bike then they’re the best LBS in Edinburgh, IME. If it’s repairs and parts then The Bike Works are good too and they’re a lot easier for me to get to than The Bike Chain.

ds3000
    Free Member

When I lived in Edinburgh my local was The Bicycle Works, who were superb, however I did venture down to The Bike Chain a couple of times and found them very knowledgable/friendly.

fbk
    Free Member

As with others, they’re certainly not my “L”BS but I’ve always been very pleasantly surpised at how great their customer service has been – def go the extra mile.

pixelmix
    Free Member

can straighten any wheel too…

Pfft, I took a wheel in once after having an altercation with an un-marked police car, and I was told that it couldn’t be salvaged. It didn’t even look as bad as yours coastkid. Sure it would have buffed out nicely, but they weren’t interested.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Not my LBS but someone’s LBS hence the title – pedantic STWers 😆

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Stop it, their heads are big enough as it is 😉

druidh
    Free Member

All this unsolicited praise is very nice – but I just wish you would all BUY MORE STUFF!!!!!!

ojom
    Free Member

Well i am off to the pub – thanks for the cheer up!

jimmy

hmm, they’re OK. I suppose. apart from the insults dished out about my ‘ugly’ bike. HAARRRRRRUMPH.

AlasdairMc

I like them too, but I wish they’d answer their Facebook messages (note the ever so subtle bump of the message I sent last night)

Al

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

They are my most local BS and definately the best.
    Go in there lots, mainly to drool at the ibis bikes.
    Top guys though.
    🙂

ojom
    Free Member

Al – not seen anything from you… maybe fb is bein crap.

what you needing?

AlasdairMc

All sorted now – nothing at all to do with TBC and all to do with Facebook.

One soon to be satisfied customer here.

kaesae
    Free Member

I have a had a couple of fallings out with thebikechain, mostly because I was being an ass shat and winding mark up.

However I have spoken on the phone to staff members and been impressed with their knowledge, I have also been made to feel like a bit of an @sshole, after seeing all the good work that these guys do.

I’m not one for bullsh1tting I prefer to tell it as I see is. The bike chain are a bunch of bikers helping out other bikers. I think that’s why a lot of riders trust them.

For some people mtbing is a job, for these guys however, it’s a way of life!

I’m sorry I wound you up Mark, ridefree!

akira

Only dealt with them once and they were great, not as great as me but a close second. 😉
    Dialled dealers, hmmmmmmm we don’t stock dialled stuff.

ojom
    Free Member

kaesae – you aren’t an ass hat. Don’t put yourself down – you seem to have a ton of determination and that is quite admirable.

Keep at what you are doing as long as it’s paying the leccy bill eh! 8)

Stay consistent and predictable and things just slip into place (most of the time), an even keel counts for a lot.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Best LBS ever (well, they are an LBS to me when I’m working up there, so surely that counts 😉 )

They is super tolerant of my pedantic requests for anodised nipples and if I wasn’t so skint, they’d be building me up another set of fab wheels right now.

Xan
    Free Member

Pah those guys are rubbish. I mean how dare you give me good advice and give me a good price on stuff I buy. 😛

MrKmkII
    Free Member

bikeworks?!

i always heard it was good so took my hope tiglide in to get the BEARINGS replaced. they gave me back the wheel with PAWLS replaced and insisted there was nothing wrong with the (12 year old) bearings. the guy even span the wheel, and said “there, wheels don’t roll much better than that!”

got home and spun it – it felt like it was running on grit, exactly as when i took it in. so i never went back (except to get them to put new bearings in FOC), because TWO people showed their incompetency – the mechanic and the sales person. awful awful awful

the bike chain, on the other hand, helped me size myself to my bike quite nicely 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Friend of mine picked up his bike from the ‘works and thought it felt funny as he was going down the mound or maybies hanover st. Stopped and discovered they hadn’t done up the stem bolts tightly enough. Know of a few more sloppy jobs by them too. Wonder if it has anything to do with the mechanics having to stop and serve people in the shop and then forgetting where they were with the task.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘The Bike Chain Edinburgh best LBS?’ is closed to new replies.