Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The bike build you've been most chuffed with!
  • the-muffin-man

Of all the bike I’ve built over the years this one is the one most pleased with (and those who know me know I’ve been through a lot of bikes!).

I built it for my daughter a few weeks ago from a mix of old parts and some eBay/STW bits. Total ‘new’ bits was £120ish (wheels, frame, headset and seat QR), and some of the parts are over 10yrs old if not more.

I like it because it looks right (in my eyes), was cheap and is my daughters first proper mountain bike. And I actually took the time to clean everything before chucking it together – apart from the tyres as that would be silly!

So what’s been your favourite bike that you’ve built yourself?

stevied
    Free Member

This one 😀

the-muffin-man

Awesome – love the forks!

Klunk
    Free Member

for klunk jnr (6’1″ scaffolder :)) fleabay/stw/parts bin/some misc low end new stuff

rides really nicely, frame has moveable dropouts (singlespeed option included) and came with a chris king headset ! total cost was just over £450.

postierich
    Free Member

Even built the wheels and are still going strong!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dxXedx]DSCF2391[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ddnGtC]20120923_141043[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cRc5xo]P8131496[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

northernmatt

This one. It was the first bike I’d built up myself. Long gone now though, I do miss it a bit.

weeksy

I’ve only really built 2.

1 was a Yelli that was too big

The other a Spearfish it could be argued I shouldn’t have sold

unovolo
    Free Member

This one

bearing in mind that the frames old tech(20years old)built with a mixture of more modern tech(including a ebay carbon bar) it rides surprisingly nicely.
    Grips have been changed for some ESI style silicon ones(very good)and may change stem for a Silver one if I can find a nice light one.

shredder
    Free Member

This one
    [/url]2014-09-06 14.43.51 by rlockwood64, on Flickr[/img]

moff

stevied where did you get the wheels from?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Probably my Soul. It’s nearly finished, just need some spokes for the real wheel.
    But really love my Genesis Flyer too. But I’ve only really customised it rather than built it.

Can’t decide. I love both.

househusband

My first build so perhaps that’s one reason why I was so happy with it, especially having moved on from a bike (a Marin Wolf Ridge) I never got on with – a mid-00’s Soul:

Onzadog
    Free Member

What’s wrong with cleaning tyres?

tizzzzle
    Free Member

My Bfe looked good, didn’t love the ride as much as the 456 evo2 that replaced it though.

My fave is my 650b Heckler though, coz it’s new (hence why it’s currently in my kitchen)!

ska-49
    Free Member

The Stooge- I built it up in a couple ours with zero issues. Was a dream to build (and now ride 8) )

core

My 2nd build, large Scandal V2 29er raw, 100mm reba forks, salsa by formula/sun ringle wheelset, all off classifieds on here. 11-36 xt cassette, deore double cranks, thompson elite post, spoon saddle, ragley wiser bars, m part pro stem, odi vans grips. Deore brakes to go on, still need chain, mechs & shifters.

1st build was a rigid, ss (with dmr tensioner) barry white inbred, but don’t use it, getting broken soon, forks are crud.

scaredypants

mine’s for one of my kids too – everything bodged on very nicely; only thing I bought was the frame

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5wyzeg]LRB[/url] by scaredypants, on Flickr

bensales
    Free Member

This one. First mtb I built.

1994 Orange Clockwork
    Pace RC35 forks (a whole 2in of travel with no damping!)
    XT mechs and STIs
    Onza cantilever brakes and Avid Speed Dial 7 levers.
    Red Hope titanium XC hubs with Mavic 531 rims and DT Revolution spokes
    L&M Stardrive cranks with Pace rings
    USE seat post and bars, Onza bar ends
    Flite titanium saddle (when there was only one model)
    Ritchey WCS Z-Max folding tyres
    XT SPDS
    X-lite titanium skewers.

Loved that bike. £1600 all funded by a single paper-round.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘The bike build you've been most chuffed with!’ is closed to new replies.