Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The big wide world of shoes
  • rhys_gibby
    Free Member

Morning All!

I’m on/been on the hunt for a new pair of MTB for a few weeks now.

I’ve tried on –
    Mavic’s which were too tight around the toes and the next size up was too big.

SIDI’s had a similar fit.

Bontrager’s were pretty good although the front of my feet felt ‘lost’ in them.

Shimano, I tried a pair of tri shoes on with were ok but the shop didn’t have MTB in stock.

Specialized were good and i’ve bought a pair of S-Works with the BOA dials, I try to avoid velcro straps as I tend to pull them quite tight so the strap stretches over time. My feet are quite narrow. Now i’m a couple of rides in to the Specialized’s i’m just not getting on with them so i’m going to have to take the hit and sell them and continue my hunt for shoes.

Ones I have not tried are Northwave’s, Diadora and Gaerne (which are pretty expensive, though i’ll pay for the right shoe)

Any other brands/recommendations you have?

I’m practically travelling the length if the M4 tomorrow from South West Wales to Surrey so any good MTB shoe shops to visit?

ton

always been a spesh man with my huge plates…………..but bought my 1st pair of sidi dominator mega’s recently in a size 12.

make the spesh’s seem very plain…………. 8)

mieszko
    Free Member

I always liked Shimano shoes, only tried MTB ones though, but they seem to fit my feet well. Regarding SIDI, maybe the higher end models are better, but my mates Bullets fell apart after a season of training and racing, my Shimano shoes lasted 2 years longer (we were in the same club so riding roughly the same). He then bought a pair of Sh-m120 and 4 years on still has them. But there must be something with SIDI as he told me he’ll get another pair sometime in the future but a higher model.

You can also try Nike shoes. Had a pair of YVR and they seemed to be well made.

cp

have you tried one of the different insoles for the spesh shoes?

rhys_gibby
    Free Member

cp – I’ve put a pair of Specialized’s blue ++ insoles in but it’saround the ankle that I can’t stand. It’s really uncomfortable. I’ve got to try a pair of Shimano’s on really. Trying them on in the shop is one thing but riding with them for a period is another.

RealMan
    Free Member

What size are the spesh ones you’re selling?

Shackleton

Try Lake. They fit my apparently text book anglo saxon foot perfectly. I’m UK11.5 and take Lake 47-48 depending on choice of socks and foot bed. Also very well made.

Have you tried chopping up old insoles to fill out bits of the shoe? I transformed a pair of shoes from awful to excellent by cutting an old insole to go under the current insole in the region of my toes, balls of feet and arch.

Markie
    Free Member

I saw these I think in a Singletrack Eurobike show report and thought they looked great. Choice of carbon or non carbon soles and velcro or ratchet fastenings…

http://www.suplest.ch/ (stupid flash site that I can’t link to)

rhys_gibby
    Free Member

The Cycle Show is in London t’aan in a couple of weeks so hopefuly there will be loads of brands under one roof rather than trawling round a few shops.

rhys_gibby
    Free Member

RealMan –

It’s these Specialized S-Works MTB in a 44, i’ve only worn them 3 times, they’ve got a couple of tiny dings on the sole from gravel but that’s it, i’ve been wearing overshoes with them as well.

I held out to get these as they’ve got the two BOA ratchets, as my feet ar quite narrow I always end up with velcro half way round the shoe!

I dont know who else does a ‘non velcro’ shoe closure?

nickc

I’ve pretty narrow feet and Sidi Dominators are about the most comfy MTB shoes I’ve ever owned. Last well, as well.

RealMan
    Free Member

How much would you be looking for them?

rhys_gibby
    Free Member

RealMan – If you’r still interested i’ll send you some photos and info. If you could reply with your e-mail address that would be top!

Rhys

mudpup
    Free Member

Lake MX300 or MX170

RealMan
    Free Member

hmmmbeee at fsmail dot net, cheers.

woffle
    Free Member

Sidi all the way for me – if you look out for them you can get lucky and find Dragon’s in the classifieds / on ebay. Not got the pennies to buy them at retail of £200 odd but I have to say they’re fantastic – one pair has had 7000+ miles of use and I’d expect to get another 7000 out them easily enough.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The big wide world of shoes’ is closed to new replies.