Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The best route in the Lake District?
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

After recently doing Helvellyn and high street, I have got the itch to do some more epics in the Lakes.

So in the humble opinion of the singletrack massive…….what is the best route in the Lake District?

Thanks

boxelder

You’ve pretty much done it now – thr rest is crap.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

A66?

jekkyl

All 3 loops of Whinlatter one after another then a great run down the huge road hill for a pint of Stella in Braithwaite.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

LOL at jekkyl 😀

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Starting from Stonethwaite Honister pass climb,Wharnscale Pass descent, Scarth Gap to Black sail Hut, Black sail Pass to Wasedale Head (for a pint) Wasedale Head to Styhead pass into Seath waite..Lots of carrying but with a good bike set up and the right weather a brilliant day out.

Its not a bad idea to start at Gatesgarth farm before scarth gap,(Buttermere) wharnscale is very unforgiving and i have seen plenty of mechanicals, shredded tyres and punctures on it over the years but a good one to end the day on,some good pubs and cafes in the village too 😉

boxelder

All non-cheeky too.
    Good call.
    Honister can be climbed off road too, using the permissive route NW of the road.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The start of the Honister pass off road climb is just out of seatoller, before the road gets steep, its on your right through a couple of huge gate posts,and joins the old route NW of the road, up honister pass as Boxelder says.

bren2709

Park Haweswater then head up Nan Bield dropping down into Kentmere.
    Then into Sadgill and up Gatescarth back down to Haweswater.

Bit of a hike up NB but worth it for the Descent!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

GaVgAs, how long timewise for that route? 6 hours do-able?

globalti
    Free Member

Up to the summit then the circuit of Skiddaw is pretty good. Just don’t go over the bars and kill yourself on the Lonscale Fell side path like my mate John Graham.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

6-8hrs I would say,Punctures, Beer and mORE beer always slow things down a bit,boshing a dual ply on the back is a good idea.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I loved High Street!

ran out of water (2L) really struggled along that “path” alongside Ullswater as I was totally goosed by then. Walkers were clapping me on so I must have looked proper tired.

badllama
    Free Member

We did Torver > Dunnerdale Fell to Seathwaite and walna Car road from Seathwaite back to Coniston > Torver today the downs were great the up to the top of Walna Scar were …………..character building 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheers Gav, I wouldn’t be having beer due to having a 3 hour drive home afterwards!.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The best route in the Lake District?’ is closed to new replies.