Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • The best LED rear light is……?
  • Pieface

I use a smart (7 LEDs) and the Cateye one with the BS reflector. I bought the Cateye for legal reasons b4 the change in the law. The Smart is brighter than the Cateye but I always have 2 in case one falls off / fails

Pieface

I use the Cateye one with the BS reflector – uses 2 AA bats, can't remmeber the model. Then a Smart one with 7 LEDs. With fresh batteries in each they're both bright enough, but the Smart is brighter. I always use 2 in case one falls off / fails

Kahurangi

I use one of these on side-to-side niterider mode

quote from a friend (after busting a gut to catch me up on a commute)

"that new light of yours is very noticeable"
    "blinding bright noticeable"
    "no, very eye-catching"

and one of these 2 x 1/2 W jobbies

£16 from Merlin.

Which is much brighter and I leave it on steady so as not to dazzle too much.

Add a couple of small dangly LEDs from tesco and I'm much more visible than I used to be.

Obviously I can't say "this is better than yours", but it does seem to be a decent combo.

Both get left on overnight in the rain and frost, the cat-eye has lasted perfectly so far, the other one is too new to say anything useful.

HTH

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    barrykellett
    Free Member

Just bought a 1/2 watt smart one because of this thread!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero – Member
    The LD1100 isn't anywhere near as bright as more modern designs like the smart. On flash mode becuase the rows are not syncronised, it dosn't appear to flash at all if you are further than 50 yards away (like most approaching traffic). Its battery life is woeful. Becuase it uses the same clamp design as the lighter units, it snaps mounts all the damn time.

I used an LD1000 and an LD1100 for quite a few years commuting. The only good thing about them is they're fairly robust, both of my self ejecting units managed to just about survive being driven over by a Ford Sierra or kicked around a NSL dual carriageway.

You forgot to mention they cost nearly £30 quid 😉

Not sure what you mean about 'not synchronised' – just push both 'on' buttons at once 😉

I like the effect of them when they're not synchronised anyway, the light appears to 'pulse' rather be merely 'on' 'off' 'on' 'off'

Know what you mean about battery life but then it's dead easy to change the batts (the side comes off, fingers only, no need to remove from the bracket even) – I use rechargeables and keep them fully topped up.

The Smart 1/2 watt is a fantastic light but like I said it's very focussed and not as good as the Cateye for all round visibility.

Like I said, you need two.

Or three. You said you already have a helmet light. If you don't, mount one of these on the back:

walleater

I like the Knog lights for the reason already mentioned (no shitty plastic brackets), but they also seem totally waterproof. They are about the only 'accessory' that I can get remotely excited about. Super bright lights are no use if they are facing the ground or waterlogged!

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘The best LED rear light is……?’ is closed to new replies.