Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • The best ever leather walking boots are……………
  • ton

your recommendations please.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Scarpa Manta.

ourmaninthenorth

My FIL rates his Zamberlan boots. Had them for years, and only changed recently as they were starting to pinch (his age, rather than the boots).

snaps
    Free Member

Walking boot you say?

j_me
    Free Member

The ones that fit your feet best!
    I’ve always gone for Scarpas good fit and take years of abuse.

ton

snaps, i meant to email you, but i forgot who i had promised the boots to.
    the miendels had been in my shed for so long, that when i got them out they had pretty much rotted away, all the rubber had cracked/split.
    sorry mate.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Scarpa Manta

although I have now have a pair of Meindl Air Revolution, Very comfy.

snaps
    Free Member

No problem, I want to try a pair as my mate raves about his lasting 8 years & being like slippers when doing the WHW.
    I’m currently using Contour Victors (they’re a discontinued model) http://www.contourboots.vividcreative.co.uk/

ir_bandito
    Free Member

as per j_me – whatever fits. I really wanted some Zamberlans, btu they didn’t fit. where as my Meindls do.
    Now hand-made custom boots, there’s a thing of beauty.

I fancy a pair of those with Shimano MT91 soles for the ultimate mtb boot.

If you have to ask the price, you can’t afford it!

chrisdb
    Free Member

whatever fits your feet. recommendations are totally pointless, with the possible exception of quality in which case Scarpa and Meindl are still good. Salomon are getting better, but aren’t as good. Even still you should buy a Salomon if they are more confortable. You get the point.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

For value and comfort, Berghaus Explorer GTXs in leather are hard to beat. Mine just keep on going and going…

ton

scarpa manta’s are not leather tho??

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/Products/Product.asp?ProductId=37

midlifecrashes

Had Scarpa Manta, had Zamberlan and Trezeta, all fitted my foot best at the time I bought them, none let me down. Now on Brasher Supalites, and they are great, but the leather is a bit soft for scree and scrambling, but the lightness more than makes up for that for me. I’ve usually kept a pair of cheaper fabric boots going simultaneously for days I know I’m going to a mudfest or put them underwater a lot, and don’t expect the fabric to last.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What ever fits – honestly, nothing else matters.

santacrews
    Free Member

ALT-BERG

In my experience these are the best boots out there, made in Richmond N Yorks, lots of different styles and most importantly they work.

Stoner
    Free Member

as above for quality I love my Scarpa SL (wide fitting). Got in a sale for £50! fluke to get a good fit too.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Altbergs come in five different widths so in theory should fit anyone quite well

stevomcd
    Free Member

Second Scarpa LS (think that’s what Stoner meant!). Things of beauty – mine are from the last year (2005?) where they were made from just one piece of hand-crafted leather!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

That’s a bit like saying “what bike for everything?” 😆

+1 for Zamberlan. The pair I bought the Mrs are still going strong after nearly 20 years.

+1 for Scarpa too. I’ve just about killed mine after about 10 years service.

Of course, the real answer has to be Galibier (Google ’em).
    I’m fortunate enough to still have a mint pair that I wear occasionally in the depths of winter.

Edit – Beat this for reviews!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for Altberg Tony,

If you fancy a trip out, then I’d pick you up en route…

They will do custom fit too..

Used them all the time in the Mob, and would get another pair tomorrow…

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/services.jsp

jools182
    Free Member

£1595? ir_bandito I want your job

chutney13
    Free Member

meindl lhotse, had mine for about 8 years now. brilliant boot.

rootes1

ones that fit your feet the best…

ton

gonna go down to ellis brighams tonight and try a load on.
    cheers all.

Stoner
    Free Member

stevo – definitely Scarpa SLs not LSs. Got mine about the same time as you though, 2005 ish I think.

xcgb
    Free Member

£1595!!! I was expecting a fair whack but jimminy!

When you consider the durability, quality, comfort and standard of individual fit, these shoes represent true value for money.

Hmmm

mildred

Altbergs

They’ll even rebuild them for you when they’re getting worn or damaged.

I’ve use Field and Fell day in day out for 9 hours a day minimum, for 10 years, and I’ve had 3 pairs; every pair have felt like slippers after a bit of wearing in.

Yorkshire Boots for Yorkshire people!

BadlyWiredDog

It really is all about fit, different boot brands use different lasts [foot model], you need to find the one which is closest to your foot shape. There are plenty of good brands out there – Scarpa, Meindl, Mammut (used to be Raichle), Aku, Zamberlan, Brasher are all good, as are others like La Sportiva, Asolo etc.

A boot that doesn’t fit your foot is instant misery. Go to a well-stocked outdoor shop, in the afternoon as your feet swell by up to half a size over the course of a day, take your own socks, try lots of different brands and buy the one that fits you.

If you have odd-shaped feet, a good boot fitter can modify the shape of the boot to suit using rubbing bars, inserts and so on, Altberg will do this, but they’re not the only option.

If your feet are a particularly weird shape, Altberg can make a custom boot for you, but it’s heinously expensive and most people will fit into a standard boot, maybe with some modification.

Personally, unless you’re going to wear crampons with them, I’d opt for something light and reaonably flexible, but some folk – generally those with the foot placement skills of a hippo – prefer really stiff-soled boots so they can step on anything without thinking 😉

SSB_UK
    Free Member

Lowa Combat GTX here

ton

might go for a drive to the altberg shop too at the weekend.
    cant ride, but can spend as much on boots as bikes it seems….. 😉

marka.
    Free Member

+1 on Altberg. They’ll measure your foot properly and get the boot which actually fits you, whether it’s one of their own boots or not (they have a normal shop there too). They’ll also choose the right boot for the walking you’ll do. It sounds silly, but they’ll also teach you how to tie your shoelaces properly.

It’s best to book ahead for a fitting. We turned up and just about got served, but they ribbed us mercilessly throughout! Still, they’re from Yorkshire so you’d expect nothing less.

Alternatively, get some lightweight walking or running shoes (Innov-8s or similar) and don’t bother with boots. It does work unless you’re on top of a mountain in winter.

mccett
    Free Member

Another vote for Altberg – had looked at them and found miraculously a local dealer in Northwich. Had them 2 years, great boots. The umpteen width fittings were what initially attracted me to them and very pleased with them.

cinnamon_girl

Why do they have to be leather?

ton

cg………cos my feet sweat too much in manmade stuff.

tang
    Free Member

ones that fit of course! i had some zamberlan leather gtx fitted properly 8 years ago, still going. i look after them and only use them on big walks. short walks/hot places; keen targhee.

cinnamon_girl

cos my feet sweat too much in manmade stuff.

/tannoy [BadlyWiredDog to the Forum again please] /tannoy

Fabric are easier to look after but I really don’t know about breathability hence the tannoy ^

ir_bandito
    Free Member

jools – I never said I could affiord them either!
    Liking the look of the Alt-Bergs. Can’t wait for my existing boots to wear out now so I can get some.

Leather rocks. Waterproof liners don’t work when they’re full of water as they only “breathe” vapour, they’re no better than a plastic bag when full of liquid. Whereas leather will let water seep through and dry out eventually.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Been wearing Lundhags for years.

love em! no other boot that seems to put up with the abuse of day in, day out outdoor use and getting soaked through, yet still come back for more.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I can’t speak for the other makes, but my Meindl “Burma’s” have just worn in enough to not crucify my feet every time I go for a hill walk.

Took about 130 miles, though.

cinnamon_girl

Well, I seem to have got through a few pairs over the years and was certainly not impressed with Brasher’s (leather) or Lowe Alpine (fabric).

A few years ago I bought some leather Meindl’s (think they’re called Burma) and are too big. Eventually bought some Meindl Mid-GTX fabric ones and am very pleased with those.

Actually, buying boots is like buying bikes – nightmare sizing. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘The best ever leather walking boots are……………’ is closed to new replies.