Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The benefits of cycling!
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

There was me thinking this was a cycling forum…

Jamie
    Free Member

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’m personally quite excited about the potential to reduce cycling fatalities by two thirds by adopting Dutch infrastructure. What about you jamie?

Jamie
    Free Member

I am enthused. The problem is that so often these things get proposed, but they end up getting cut off at the knees.

In relation to your OP, and the lack of response to it. A lot of people just quickly check on STW, lots on phones/tablets, so just linking to a website/pdf file may put them off. Why not summarise what it is you’re linking to?

brooess
    Free Member

This stuff is so compelling you do wonder quite what’s holding them in power up…

Jamie
    Free Member

This stuff is so compelling you do wonder quite what’s holding them in power up…

I imagine lobbyists for someone or other.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/oct/10/lobbyist-canary-wharf-london-segregated-cycle-lane-crossrail-bikes

ahwiles
    Free Member

fourbanger; it’s not that we’re not keen to see better funding/infrastructure/awareness/etc. for cyling/cyclists/people on BSO’s.

there’s not much to discuss, we’re all onboard, but we’ve all been here before, and nothing ever happens, ever. Men in suits will talk and talk, and nod, and make commitments, and then proceed to do absolutely ****-all.

thousands of people will continue to die, our towns and cities will continue to develop on a model that promotes car use above everything else, to the detriment of everything else. A few gutters may get painted brown, ‘cyclist dismount’ signs will continue to proliferate.

it’s all quite depressing.

brooess
    Free Member

ahwiles – one the one hand I agree with you re lack of action from councils, central government etc, hence my post.

On the other, cycling doesn’t need an organised push from government – people just have to go into a bike shop and buy a bike – which from the massive increase our club has seen in membership and the sheer numbers leaving South London on Sunday mornings (and numbers of cycling commuters), it’s happening with or without government leadership.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The benefits of cycling!’ is closed to new replies.