• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by will.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The Beast – CX bike Video
  • will
    Free Member

Was a great ride yesterday! Loads of people out and about. And trails so dusty!

Anyway the viedo. Let me know what you think.

martyntr
    Free Member

You're arms must have been pumped out to the max…

Great soundtrack, pity about the skipping towards the end..

btw – who's the soundtrack ??

Aristotle
    Free Member

Good work.

I rode my Crosslight down the Belmont descent from Winter Hill and the Rivington Ice Cream Run on Thursday.

On Saturday morning, as I negotiated the Trans-Pennine Trail in the badlands of Cheshire, there was more creaking than usual. The handling then went a bit loose as if the back tyre had gone down. It was pointed out to me that there was daylight showing through where there shouldn't be….

Maybe I'll use a more suitable bike in future….

Surfr
    Free Member

Great video and looks like a nice ride too. I feel your pain regarding the pump as I've recently learned this lesson for myself. What camera are you using?

oldgit
    Free Member

That's a great vid.
    How much longer will youre bike survive? Mine went the same way as Aristotles, thought the bars had loosened.

will
    Free Member

Thanks guys! Think it will last, well i hope it will 😆

Soundtrack is Biffy Clyro (can't remember name of track)

Arms were pumped yes 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

you want some proper tyres on , like mine 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Things is I really like the vid, but I'm affraid I have to hate you. I was hoping you wouldn't be clipped in but you are. Do you know what it's like to be technically retarded and watch that?

samuri
    Free Member

bummer on the snap Aristotle, I've been down those tracks a hundred times on my crosslight, must be user error. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pahhhhhhh…………..

I've done it on my road bike

With old skool 19/20mm tires

And toe clips

Surprisingly enough, the fork snapped the next day.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I was hoping you wouldn't be clipped in but you are. Do you know what it's like to be technically retarded and watch that?

Much harder not clipped in I'd say! You'd be bouncing all over the place. Unless you stopped and put your seat right down, which isn't really the point with cross bikes/normal riding (at least for somebody stuck in the past such as me!) 😆

samuri
    Free Member

nice video Will, the camera is pretty steady there, not as much shaking around as I thought there would be, how have you mounted it to the bars?

james
    Free Member

Thats great, I like the camera position just being able to see the wheel but loads of whats ahead. Seeing the brakes on/off adds to it on that really well I reckon

Where is the bit after the 'beast' where you appear to knock the camera over?

GEDA
    Free Member

What a boring film. Look at mine its much better🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

you have started a new niche; downhill trials on a road bike. welcome to the fold

cynic-al
    Free Member

IS it actually fun?

slowrider
    Free Member

living up to your username there al! though i have to admit, it doesnt look half as much fun going that slow when you know how good it is to tear down there on the absolute limit

fontmoss
    Free Member

sweet ive just moved to derby which seems pretty close to the peak district-where can i find these beast then? 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

i liked that, tough descent on a CX bike, respect sir, especially with canti brakes. I ended up fitting a disk onto my CX bike on the front for the few times I actualy use it off road. Made a big difference in the Clywds and even some steep drops in delamere. Like others have said they arent every day bikes for 'real' mountains.. but on the occasions I've had to use them (or just when I decided to for the hell of it) they work better than you'd imagine offroad.

hated the song ;O)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Genuine question. I've tried a cx bike on mtb trails a couple of times, while some say it's fun once you've learnt how, I can't see me learning…

soobalias
    Free Member

hell of a lot of 'trail erosion' type lines getting picked there.

not saying that a lot of mtbs dont do the same mind.

dont get it, might as well be fixed.

will
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    Things is I really like the vid, but I'm affraid I have to hate you. I was hoping you wouldn't be clipped in but you are. Do you know what it's like to be technically retarded and watch that?

I suspect doing it not clipped in would be harder. However i agree that mental aspect of the fact you are fixed to the bike would be hard to get over at slow speeds. However flat pedals on a cx bike would be as bad as say smoking outside a pub…

Samuri – Thanks pal, the camera is amazing! So stead and the fisheye provides a great view. Camera is attached using Go Pro's bar mount, did cost £25 but tbh it's worth that!

James – Thanks again. The view was much better than I thought it would have been! The bit after the beast is up on the other side of the valley. AT the top of the climb onto the cut throat decent, just before you follow the wall to the top. I stopped there and had a little play.

Slowrider – I thank you 🙂 Can't really see it catching on though 😆

Fontmoss – Welcome to the most amazing place in the world, better than those small Alps somewhere. The beast is located at the top of Hope Cross, look on an OS map, it will tell you. Then head right from hope cross and your there.

Ti Pin Man – I find these brakes actually to be quite good! Certainly work well what ever the conditions, plus i just love the lack of maintenance that the bike requires!

Cynic al – Yes it is fun! The satisfaction you get from riding these trails is amazing! You see guys on full dh bikes and you can ride the same stuff (all be it a little slower) It is a completely different use of bike handing skills i find, anybody within reason can get down the beast on a mountain bike, but on a cx bike takes line choice skillzzz
    Also for a brief section on cut throat i was keeping up with a chap on a sub 5, he probably wasn't trying, but it felt like i was doing 100mph, very fun!

SooBalias – Fair point, I do hate taking "those" lines, however i was finding it just too hard/impossible to take a normal line, especially given the low BB and big chain ring…

After seeing the cracked frame I am worried 😆 so i shall clean and inspect it tomorrow.
    Thanks again guys for the feedback, very much appreciated, as i always try and put some thought into my videos 🙂

cyclistm
    Free Member

Will, what brakes/levers are you using?

will
    Free Member

Ummm…. Tekto ones 😆 sorry not sure, but they are standard equipment. Very good, can ever pull an endo. There mini Vees though 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘The Beast – CX bike Video’ is closed to new replies.