Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • The Beast cable cam
  • MentalMickey
    Free Member

Just spotted a vid I’ve seen before, off one of the links.

This video is a great example of cable cam work, love the gnarly dog too. 🙂
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGdXcitOUzY[/video]

slowrider
    Free Member

Shining cliff woods might work

grantway
    Free Member

Good going just need to add in panning shots.
    DONT take this wrong just a bit to much cable shots
    DEFFO keep it up mate 😉

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

Just thought it might be worth saying that as the ‘guy’ garethh is copying it’s not me it’s my missus he’s copying. All I do is hump gear, push bikes and do what I’m told. Hannah is the genius and driving force behind the films. Props should go to her. 😀

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

ooop…should also say great work garethh. I know how much sweat and effort goes into those few minutes of footage. You got some really great shots.. I really liked the front facing stuff as well. 😛

iain1775
    Free Member

slowrider – Member
    Shining cliff woods might work
    POSTED 56 MINUTES AGO #

No it wouldn’t
    Riding there is troublesome enough without people rigging cables around the really old and really quite protected trees within a SSSI
    Sorry to sound like some sort of tree hugger but it’s sensitive enough up there all ready

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[geek mode]

Pinch flat at circa 1:15?

[/geek mode]

Mugboo

It’s all the rage this cable cam lark.

A mates been experimenting up at Stainburn

vdubber67
    Free Member

Seems like it’s been said a lot in this thread already, but that’s BRILLIANT. Both riding and filming are superb. Never seen the Beast ridden so bloody fast! 🙂 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

No it wouldn’t
    Riding there is troublesome enough without people rigging cables around the really old and really quite protected trees within a SSSI
    Sorry to sound like some sort of tree hugger but it’s sensitive enough up there all ready

There are plenty of not so old trees as well as trails that no walker would venture near

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

What specifically is the SSSI status here? Is it the trees? People bang on about it but no one has really said. Is it the northern hairy wood ants?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ace vids, nicely executed. Now you just need rider tracking on the panning of the rig! (another project on the list damnit!)

Must take some time to set up the cable etc but the results are great.

milkman100
    Free Member

Going to sound a bit of an old hippy here and this is not directly aimed at the OP as I can’t see how he’s tensioned the rope for his setup, but. If anyone is going to do this can they please use a flat (wide as possible) slings around any trees rather than wrapping a rope directly around them. An 8mm rope at such high tension could seriously damage the trees.

lol, they are short of trees in this area…..not
    make sure you dont hug them to hard

great vid, I can see you put a lot of time and effort in to it, and I just wish I could ride down there that fast,

well done

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff.

This is by far my favorite way of filming mtb, especially when the camera is infront.

29erconvert
    Free Member

I’d like to try this on my fully ridged 😯

Baldysquirt

Good effort Gareth, nice to see it all edited. Looks like we’ll have our work cut out at the weekender again this year!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Have you got a pic of your rig Gareth, this is the one used at Stainburn

bullandbladder
    Free Member

That is ace! Anyone got a link to a route that includes that descent? I fancy a bit of that.

slowrider
    Free Member

It’s easy to fit it in to a win hill/ derwent area ride, lots of other great descents there too.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Some of the others could have done with some way of controlling the speed of the camera’s slide down the rope, and some way of panning the camera. Can’t think how those could be done easily though.

One question though – how did you avoid the camera smashing into bits when it went into the trees at the bottom of each slide?

The one I’ve seen the slide speed can be controlled by using a strap tied round the rope which drags on the rope to slow it down – I think he uses a leather strap with some kind of adjustable tensioner on it , so that he can tighten it to get the right speed. It looks really smooth even on very slow technical riding.

For avoiding it smashing he uses foam with a hole in (pipe lagging maybe, or handlebar grips, can’t remember), which the rig bashes into.

Panning the camera would be brilliant, but I can’t see any simple way of doing it – I’d be sticking a servo on and some kind of control hardware – either a radio control receiver, or just a simple microprocessor (arduino or something else cheap and simple to work with) pre-programmed to do the pan that you want. That would be neat actually – if you were bunging a microprocessor on there anyway, you could also rig up a servo to a braking strap, for varied speed throughout the shot.

One thought on panning – if you rigged up a radio controlled pan-tilt & speed control, you could stick on a second wireless camera to the same mount – we have some at work, they’re tiny and dirt cheap (I think they were £30 on ebay or something ridiculous, and size wise, they are much much smaller than the 9v battery that powers them, about 1cm x 1cm x 2cm) – that would allow the operator to have an idea of what they were pointing the camera at.

This guy has built a radio controlled pan-tilt for a go-pro, which looks disgusting, but appears to work and uses pretty standard parts that model airplane places will have (RC receiver, servos) – http://www.rcflighttest.com/home/2010/11/quick-and-simple-pantilt-mount-for-gopro-hero-hd/

Alternatively, with an HD camera and a very wide angle lens, you could probably point it half way between the two shots you want and then fake the pan in software without losing too much quality, which might be easier!

garethh
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, just looking at getting 100m of 5mm static cord for some longer runs, trying to bodge a lighter version to take skiing, will post up some pics when I’ve got it sorted 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘The Beast cable cam’ is closed to new replies.