Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • The BBC cuts – an opportunity missed?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Sadly it seems that we’ll still be stuck with many TV channels full of brain rot rather than two channels with something worth watching, and the likes of Radio One, 1Xtra, FiveLive, as well as multiple, dire, little local radio stations will still clutter our airwaves rather than being combined into regional radio with enough to broadcast. The BBC had the chance to ‘contract into quality’ but they’ve bottled it.

binners

You mean you’re not looking forward to endless re-runs of Two Pints of Lager…. on BBC3? What about Snog, Marry, Avoid?

You’re a right picky bugger, you 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s ironic that such high-def, digital, plasma screens are showing repeats of Batman, George and Mildred and the Professionals. I’ve even spotted On The Busses in the TV shedules! And Freeview, just how many shopping channels do you need?…

uplink
    Free Member

repeats of Batman

When?, where?

Kapowwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

ITV4.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

It is bloody sickening that the BBC pays absolutely stupid salaries to its employees. It’s equally sickening that they are on a gravy train in general.

Sod em.

camo16
    Free Member

BBC4’s worthwhile. Don’t know about the others…

Batman: “Better put 5 cents in the meter.”
    Robin: “No policeman’s going to give the Batmobile a ticket.”
    Batman: “This money goes to building better roads. We all must do our part.”

thebunk

ohnohesback – Member
    It’s ironic that such high-def, digital, plasma screens are showing repeats of Batman, George and Mildred and the Professionals. I’ve even spotted On The Busses in the TV shedules! And Freeview, just how many shopping channels do you need?…

Um, you do know that they’re not all BBC channels right?

BBC – Best broadcasting service in the world. Imagine what our telly/radio would be like without them…

grum
    Free Member

It is bloody sickening that the BBC pays absolutely stupid salaries to its employees. It’s equally sickening that they are on a gravy train in general.

Sod em.

I know someone who works for the BBC – they work very hard indeed and get paid an average salary. Don’t believe everything you read in the Daily Mail/Sun.

What’s actually happening here is that the BBC is too good for it’s competitors, and they are making it worse to keep people like Murdoch happy. Wonderful.

djglover
    Free Member

No offence, but you sound like a right snob

RustySpanner

swedishmatt – Member

Sod em.

Price of everything, value of nothing.

The BBC are being punished for not supporting the Eton Mess in the last election – nothing more.

Yes, I’d like to see lower salaries at the BBC, but surely, as all the right whingers on here keep saying in relation to the banking sector, you have to pay to get the right people.

Let’s get rid of a few more celebrity presenters, that should save a few quid. Andrew Neill for a start, followed by Simon ‘smugfest’ Mayo, Nicky Campbell and Anne Robinson.

Personally, I’d like to see fewer antiques/property/cooking programmes, more documentaries presented by experts instead of celebrities, and the end to ‘humorous’ panel shows such as ‘Mock the Week’.

But, as with the NHS, decent state education and cheap energy it will soon be done away with anyway, because it doesn’t fit in with Dave’s ideology.

donsimon
    Free Member

When was it that Pink Floyd sang about “thirteen channels of shit on my TV to choose from”, the good old days, eh?

djglover
    Free Member

Also know a few working at the beeb, one is a production assistant and the other in IT. believe me they are on no gravy train

sadmadalan

Given what the Beeb costs – it is very good value for money. The problems that it has are

1. A very small number of people earn huge amounts of money. The vast majority do not – but the media focus on the very small number.

2. We all have a our favourite bits of the BBC and can’t understand why the rest should be funded.

3. It is used as a political football – hence the off loading of the World Service to it, or the demands for local radio stations from MPs.

Without the BBC, most local radio would fold, TV would become like the US and the cost of TV would rise. I have Virgin and compared to that the TV licence is cheap for what I get.

I also get p*****d off with all those who go on how ‘free’ the commercial channels are. They are NOT free. I pay for those through the goods and services that I buy or subscriptions or both.

(Sorry – must get off high horse and go for a ride!)

Houns

Quite happy for my licence fee to go towards Radio 1, 1xtra and five live (well apart from the football programmes)

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’m interested in how they manage to spend £199,000,000 a year on online activities. Are their servers made from solid green?

Source: BBC – How is the licence fee spent

randomjeremy
    Free Member

double post wtf

binners

A full Sky subscription is how much compared to the license fee?

And for that you get a lot of football, some shite films, The Simpsons and, erm……. erm……. erm…..

for the license fee you get an unbelievable amount of amazing quality stuff. ie: Six Music, Cbeebies, CBBC,Radio 4, 5 Live etc etc etc etc

I reckon the BBC needs to sack off its Sports coverage completely. It just can’t compete with Rupert’s Wallet. Its pointless to try. And concentrate on the stuff it does so much better than anyone else

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Everyone I know who worked at the Beeb was fired and taken back as a contractor to save money.

Huge salaries? I would imagine it’s not too bad, when you’re actually working.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Lot of BBC apologists. Bunch of left leaning environmental labour supporter loonies.

If you don’t realise it’s left leaning you’ve got a problem.

It is NOT neutral. At all.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s ironic that such high-def, digital, plasma screens are showing repeats of… the Professionals.

Nothing wrong with that.

“Who are you? The police?”

“No, we’re worse. Much worse.” 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Lot of BBC apologists. Bunch of left leaning environmental labour supporter loonies.

😆

But you’ll miss it once it’s gone. And it will be gone if our ‘slightly right of centre’ government has its way.

RustySpanner

swedishmatt – Member

Name a country with a better TV service than the BBC.
    Then you can start with the insults.

grum
    Free Member

Evidence? Anyway, even if it is, surely that just provides some balance against the vast majority of UK media which is right wing. If you want to see a lack of balance, try Adam Boulton on Sky – he can barely conceal his hatred for the Labour party.

camo16
    Free Member

Ah, there’s the rub. 8)

thebunk

Who on this thread said that it was neutral?

Turns out that left leaning environmental labour supporter loonies make better telly than right wing gun toting racist pigs, is all…

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner: The BBC is extremely expensive. Completely over the top staffed, and a stupid amount of staff on all functions. They bid on stuff they shouldn’t. They compete with private channels where they fill no public service function. They should stay well clear.

I suggest you all ask yourself the question why the BBC has its own commentators. Ask yourself why other channels bring outside experts in more often. Could it be that the BBC wants to give you their view? Next time Stephanie Flanders, the so called economic commentator interviews the powers that be, or talk about quantititative easing, or the next time they give airtime on politics. Are they being netural? No they’re blatantly not.

Google “BBC left bias”. Even Mark Thompson admits it himself, of course it was only “in the past”. Oh yeah it’s all changed hasn’t it? It’s not like the BBC is pushing a pro-man-made global warming piece is it?

“BBC Director General Mark Thompson has admitted the corporation was guilty of a ‘massive’ Left-wing bias in the past. ”

pypdjl
    Free Member

What’s actually happening here is that the BBC is too good for it’s competitors

It doesn’t have any competitors, given that it’s funded by taxation.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Some other quotes:

The BBC is operating in a “left-leaning comfort zone” and has an “innate liberal bias” according to a report commissioned by the corporation

camo16
    Free Member

I suggest you all ask yourself the question why the BBC has its own commentators. Ask yourself why other channels bring outside experts in more often. Could it be that the BBC wants to give you their view? Next time Stephanie Flanders, the so called economic commentator interviews the powers that be, or talk about quantititative easing, or the next time they give airtime on politics. Are they being netural? No they’re blatantly not.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue. 😳

binners

The BBC constantly debates its own failings. Very publicly. Just like the commercial oprganisations. For example; when all the Murdoch press outlets gave extensive coverage to the debate about illegal phone hacking

Oh….erm…. hang on a minute…..

gonefishin
    Free Member

Evidence? Anyway, even if it is, surely that just provides some balance against the vast majority of UK media which is right wing.

Well it doesn’t give unfailing Fox like devotion to the right and forces the general stadard of TV up rather than maximising revenue for the owners so obviously it’s left leaning and must be eradicated, DUH.

Quite why the term left leaning is being applied to labour supporters is however beyond me. The labour party hasn’t been left leaning part for a very long time.

given that it’s funded by taxation

Hmm you really don’t understand what taxation is, do you.

CaptJon
    Free Member

swedishmatt – Member

Sod em.

Such as…?

binners

swedishmatt – You are James Murdoch and I claim my free Sky subscription

gonefishin
    Free Member

Are they being netural? No they’re blatantly not.

Name one, just one, neutral news source.

mcboo
    Free Member

I reckon they got it just about right. 25% cuts is no picnic…..daytime TV with original programming is a nonsense in this day and age. Huge back catalogue of repeats to be shown or they can just beef up BBC News 24, thats plenty.

Going to be less spending on sport, I dont think is really a bad thing. If the BBC doesnt bid up for F1 rights say, those interested are still going to see it on commercial channels. Sky’s coverage of the Test match cricket is about the best sports coverage I’ve ever seen, it’s tremendous.

And maybe a bit less on foreign productions? I hope they still buy the likes of Mad Men, but when they do can they please air them primetime, say 9pm on a Thursday night? Why was maybe the best show this decade tucked away on BBC4 on a Tuesday?

Left-wing? Yes unavoidably so given the demographic of it’s employees but still great for current affairs. The Guardian is left wing (I’m not) but I still buy it first. I know what I’m getting, I can figure it out, and it’s a great newspaper.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The BBC is operating in a “left-leaning comfort zone” and has an “innate liberal bias” according to a report commissioned by the corporation

So it’s effectively state run.

However, to have it any other way would involve massive amounts of advertising. And probably not a lot of funded decent TV programme making (they are expensive after all).

I would argue that the BBC is a national treasure. Sure, it may lean to the left but this is more than made up for by the overtly right capitalist, advertising-funded private media, with Sky being the obvious candidate here.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

gonefishin have a google mate. They say themselves they’ve got a left bias.

grum
    Free Member

It doesn’t have any competitors, given that it’s funded by taxation.

Eh? 😕

Again, so what? Virtually all the other media in the country is owned by Murdoch or other big business interests which pursue a nakedly right wing agenda. Nothing wrong with a bit of balance surely?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I see SwedishMatt’s problem – he doesn’t realise he leans to the right. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘The BBC cuts – an opportunity missed?’ is closed to new replies.