Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The Alps, good for trail riding or just downhilling
  • downthemiddle
    Free Member

Really fancy getting away for a MTB break to the Alps, never been before. Whilst I am into great long downhills etc. I neither have the gear or the interest in the Alpine type riding that you read so much about in the mags. I.e full face, body armour and massive downhill bikes. So what’s the best recommendations for average riders with regular UK type trail bikes and gear, for a more all round riding holiday

bigjim
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

White room guided week

Ambrose

The Portes du Soleil area is well- known for it’s Gnarr DH rides. But there are hundreds of km of amazing XC trails there too. It’s well signposted and offers fantastic scenery. I keep going back. Take a google of Pass’portes du Soleil. It’s a taster of what is there 🙂 I’ve never bothered with a guide tbh and to date haven’t met a single person who has ridden any XC stuff that you can’t find on-line/ on a map/ in a guidebook. There are loads of GPX’s doing the rounds nowadays too.

mkidley
    Free Member

Bloody hell, I’ve just bookmarked that, looks like fantastic value doing the 2 weeks, now, wonder if I can get something last minute in August given funds and time… 😀

downthemiddle
    Free Member

All great stuff, thanks. I have always avoided booking anything in the Alps, as I have stayed in Morzine a couple of times during my Road riding events in the Alps, and shared accomodation with MTB groups, getting all the Stormtrooper gear on and full facers, and I always thought “that’d not be for me” Dont get me wrong I am not a XC mincer, and good downhills are what I ride for as much as anything, just not looking forward to investing in a load of new kit for a one off break, and all round riding is what I’d like to do.

peterfile
    Free Member

The “Alps” stretch for over 750 miles, through 8 different countries. It’s not a destination.

Pretty sure there is some trail riding in there somewhere 🙂

steveh

Trail addiction around les arcs do exactly the kind of thing you mention. Huge singletrack descents that go on and on.
    I’ve been to a lot of alps venues over the years and all I can think of have good small bike trails, many better than the big bike ones!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Garda is much more orientated towards riding natural rocky trails than manicured downhilling.

http://bikemagic.com/mountain-bike-trails/mtb-travel-guide-lake-garda-italy.html

coogan
    Free Member

The White Room. Awesome riding, awesome company.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I went with Trail Addiction (Les Arcs) was its definitely at the burlier end of “XC” and most people did wear full-facers, simply because you end up doing loads of descending at a reasonably speed over rocks, and one fall can end the holiday otherwise. I did 250,000ft of descending in the entire year, 100,000ft of that was in 6 days in the Alps.

I had full-face, knee and elbow pads, although some of the back country days i took a normal helmet.

This probably doesn’t apply if you intend to ride up, but if thats the case it might be best to go out of season anyway as its a bit cheaper?

whippetboy
    Free Member

Spent a week with bikeverbier last year, absolutely awesome – the best singletrack I’d ever ridden, going on for miles and miles. Some of it more narly and some bike park action if you want it, but it’s guided riding and they match the trails to your ability really well. The guides were superb bikers with years of experience, friendly, etc. and the food was great. Wasn’t cheap, but well worth it. I’d thoroughly recommend it, I’d go back again this year but I don’t have the money due to other commitments.

Drac

Wait stop everything.

You can do downhilling it the Alps now too?

All great stuff, thanks. I have always avoided booking anything in the Alps, as I have stayed in Morzine a couple of times during my Road riding events in the Alps, and shared accomodation with MTB groups, getting all the Stormtrooper gear on and full facers, and I always thought “that’d not be for me” Dont get me wrong I am not a XC mincer, and good downhills are what I ride for as much as anything, just not looking forward to investing in a load of new kit for a one off break, and all round riding is what I’d like to do.

You could just use what you’ve got.

Tracey

+ 1 for Bike Verbier, This will be our 10th year with them and its still awsome.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have stayed in Morzine a couple of times…

Mistake number one.

Go to the alps – from Slovenia to Italy, there’s some absolutely stunning riding of all types. Having worked as a guide there I’d also recommend one to get the most out of your time – you’ll be shown trails you want to ride as well as trails you’d never otherwise find.

Loads of great companies operating there – just ask on here. Personally – if I were to go tomorrow – I’d hit the Italian Riviera again on something like an Alpine 160 or a Five.

johnhe

I’ve stayed in Morzine/Les Gets on several occasions. I ride without armour/full face – just with my normal riding gear. I ride a 4-5in travel bike. I’ve also ridden many of the trails on rented hardtails. I agree that the main, faster downhill runs are much more enjoyable at full blast on a downhill rig, but there are plenty of trails suitable for trail riding.

I will confess that Verbier, Chamonix and other areas appeal to me more for trail riding than Morzine, but Chatel seems to offer plenty of trails that are superb for any bike. You regularly see folks on hardtails there.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The Alps, good for trail riding or just downhilling’ is closed to new replies.