Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • The Alps
  • maffyg
    Free Member

Heres the deal which is the best for singletracks . Les Gets/Morzine or Chamonix ?

RHSno2
    Free Member

either or.

maffyg
    Free Member

we booked a holiday in Morzine/Les gets but they keep changing the hotel . So i asked about any other places they said Chamonix now not sure what to do ????????????

RHSno2
    Free Member

Les Arcs will do you better than either. Chamonix IS excellent but problems with access in Summer. Look at TrailAddiction or BikeVillage. Top guys

TheSwede
    Free Member

+1 TrailAddiction

maffyg
    Free Member

The thing i have paid my deposit with alpine elements . which is better for an experienced rider like myself and a newby on my spare bike. The bikes we are taking are my orange 5 pro 2011 and a marin alpine trail thats been moded a tad.

coogan
    Free Member

Been with The White Room the last two years. All amazing riding. Sanite Foy/Les Arcs and all that. Plenty pics here if any use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemilne/sets/72157620506140969/
    The Alps

jedi

chamonix. mbmb.com for the win

anto164
    Free Member

After all i heard about TA, i’ve booked a week with them on 27aug-03sept. Going on my own, so it’ll be interesting on who i meet!

Just get out on the internets and do some searching, you’ll find there’s lots of good advice wherever you go.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Chamonix so much better it doesn’t compare.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

anto164 – Member

After all i heard about TA, i’ve booked a week with them on 27aug-03sept. Going on my own, so it’ll be interesting on who i meet!

You will love it.

Been with TA many times; great guys. Last year, in addition to my group there were:

3 Spanish guys
    3 guys from Hong Kong (two originally from Essex, one from Mexico)
    3 Belgians
    1 Canadian
    1 Australian

Most of them just randomly found TA by googling ‘singletrack Alps’.

All had a great time (except for the Spanish dude who bust his collarbone on the first morning…)

Joe

They are so close to each other…who gives a ****. Go ride in all of them. Chase the sunshine.

finners

if you could do one trail in chamonix what would it be?

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

if you could do one ride in chamonix what would it be?

One ride: The ride back to Samoens from Brevent.
    If I had to stay in the valley: Grand balcon sud: – brevent to argentiere.

But I wouldn’t do either in July or August.

As far as the OP’s question – I’d say your newbie mate will probably struggle to find a lot he’s happy to ride in Chamonix. There’s some stuff there – Le Tour springs to mind, but the best stuff in Chamonix is not for beginners.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Go late June and get quiet trails. I’ve done 7 years in Morzine, this year it’s Chamonix .. so I can’t answer your question really! Sorry. Guess it depends maybe what you want out of hte holiday and riding and also are you DIying it or tour company. you defiantely dont’ need a guide in Morzine.

sharkymark
    Free Member

+1 for the White Room if you decide on the Tarentaise. They cope well with mixed abilities too.

freeridenick
    Free Member

“if you could do one trail in chamonix what would it be?”

Probably the Holy Trail

Or the Trient ride from Le Tour.

or Sicktrack

or Brevent down to Servoz

😀

nickjb
    Free Member

which is better for an experienced rider like myself and a newby on my spare bike.

Morzine is great for a mixed ability group. You can pick different lines and and bits of trails but still ride together all day and both be challenged.

steveh

Error number 1 was booking with alpine elements, they’re cheap for a reason. If you’re with them and therefore without guiding (whatever they say) I’d go to morzine/Les Gets as it’s easier to navigate around and there are more folk to ask for ideas. Chamonix has some good trails but they are more spread out and i think you need a guide to get the most out of the place.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

ha I love that the two answers to “if you could only ride ONE trail” both have more than one 🙂 – including my answer.

Goes to show – there are some right belters up there – both in the valley and heading out of the valley.

Not done the Servos ride – I guess that’s a bit of Holy trail then turn right somewhere?!

And Sicktrack.. what’s that then?

RHSno2
    Free Member

I really must ride in Chamonix this year. MUST

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So all these trails you’re on about, are they in the green book?

jhw
    Free Member

Chamonix does take a little more work than Morzine. It’s harder to find the good stuff, which is more spread out (most days begin with a half hour train ride). It takes a little planning, I found. If you just want to show up and ride, go to Morzine. Also, Morzine has more lift infrastructure. You’ll spend more time climbing/pushing in Chamonix.

Ha, ignore all that bollocks, it’s awesome. I’m really just trying to talk you out of it because there are only a few singletracks there, but really, really, really sweet ones. Only they’re very fragile – I do not want to see them go the way of BKB in Peaslake, which they surely will if CHX becomes the “go to” destination in place of Morzine.

Munque-chick: yes, mainly. I don’t actually know where the holy grail trail is, which tends to be the one everyone wants to do…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so JHW you are trying to keep the sneaky trails for yourself?? 😉

jhw
    Free Member

Nah – the information about the sneaky trails is all in the public domain already…and rightly so!

It is true that it requires a bit more effort than Morzine (especially in high summer with the ban) but it’s so much better (for my kind of thing) that it doesn’t matter.

wl
    Free Member

Just to complicate things, what about nearby Verbier? Bike Verbier do great holidays with access to amazing singletrack no other company knows about, including trails to suit the most experienced and talented alpine riders. Easier options too, for those that want them. Plenty of folk on this forum will testify. Check it out at http://www.bikeverbier.com

RHSno2
    Free Member

Chamonix will remain semi secret/unused as it takes the effort. Thats what Manzine is for…the lazy ones 😉

freeridenick
    Free Member

Sicktrack is really rather sick, with some high consequence corners! As hard as anything I rode on the shore etc. not one for the feint hearted!! top middle in this one.

The Tom wilson north book is a good starter for the valley. Although he misses some of the proper gnar…ie sicktrack, holy trail (illegal techincally) but plenty to get going with for your first visit,

Servoz, yes turn right.
    forgot, what about The bellachat refuge trail

jhw
    Free Member

Sweet! Thanks

I have an enormous scanned IGN map with many good trails marked on it, but it’s too large to put up here. If anyone can suggest technically how to disseminate this I’ll put it up. I’d get TWN’s book anyway as it has useful “on the ground” information, details about logistics, etc.

The other killer is the 5-bikes maximum on the train. I’m going with 4 people in July and this could be a real problem. You don’t want to be doing that horrible road ride from CHX to Argentiere on an Enduro.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Bus available then

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Wowzer!

I’ve been toying with the idea of going to Chamonix or Verbier in late June this year as I’ve intended to ride in the Alps for the last 3 years and not managed it yet.

This thread is great for helping me make a decision. Although still not sure which one 🙂

I’m tempted to book with Bike Verbier although this is the expensive option. I’m also equally tempted to drive down to Chamonix with bike and tent and spend a week riding the trails out of the Tom Wilson North book.

jhw
    Free Member

But I wouldn’t do either in July or August.

Guy – on what basis? Too many pedestrians? I’m particularly interested to know whether the Brevent-Samoens ride gets busy…

OP – the really great trails in Chamonix are at the top and bottom end of the valley (and in neighbouring valleys) and therefore outside the scope of the ban. But a faff to get to. The steep wooded trails right above Chamonix are ruled out but they’re not the best anyway in my opinion.

I don’t know whether even the legal trails get too busy with thousands of walkers in July to be fun. I’d be interested to hear.

chakaping
    Free Member

So how good/bad an idea is it to go to Chamonix in July, considering this ban?

Already doing PdS, Verbier, Pila and Les Arcs – other options are Alp d’Huez/Les 2 Alpes, Sauze d’Oulx… and will have car.

wl
    Free Member

KoB – you’ll defo get more than your money’s worth with Bike Verbier. Check this forum – it’s full of people who’ll rave about their holidays with BV, myself included. They’ve been in business long enough to have every aspect properly dialled – guiding, accommodation, food, transfers, group splits, van transport to out-of-the-way trails etc etc. And the riding is incredible – partly because they know the region like no one else. Much of their biking is done away from Verbier itself.

RHSno2
    Free Member

When you add up all you get BikeVerbier isn’t expensive. Guiding, Food, Transfers + Hell of a Good Time (and Phil who is funniest man in Europe)

doris
    Free Member

(and Phil who is funniest man in Europe

its true he is :o)

jhw
    Free Member

Show me some Verbier stuff then, I’m bored

jhw
    Free Member

sweet

RHSno2
    Free Member

Yes. Very.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘The Alps’ is closed to new replies.