Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • The 2017 Highland Trail 550
  • ianfitz
    Free Member

There didn’t seem to be a thread yet for this year.

Who’s getting excited about riding or dot watching?

I know I am now!

kcal

quite interested. loved the HT550 book 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Starting to get nervous 😯

Considering my bike is in bits ATM, I think I need to sort it out ASAP (See the thread about Hope brakes and Shimano shifters), hopefully tonight I’ll get the frame tape fixed. Once it’s back together a couple of shake down rides then the JennRide next weekend to finalise things.

After that I’ll take things easy and get the train to work then travel up Friday and see you in the campsite or pub 😆

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’m very lucky Bob in that 18 bikes are sorting my bike for me.

I left it, and a very long list of jobs, with them and am picking it up after the weekend.

Kit is mainly decided on. Although the weather forecast a bit further on will decide if a few items come along or not.

whitestone
    Free Member

Similar regarding kit – I’ve got the core stuff sorted, will take up several options and decide on Friday what makes the cut.

Frame is now taped. 😀 New Hope brakes are on but not adjusted and the hoses are loose and will probably need a bit of shortening.

postierich
    Free Member

Will be dot watching hoping to do the Northern Loop in September so i will be on the start line next year if accepted .
    Good luck guys and gals

whitestone
    Free Member

Did the northern loop over the BH weekend Rich. A couple of really tough sections but eased by quite a bit of road (I don’t include the Drumbeg road in the easy stuff!). It’s really, really dry at the moment, there’s a shot on Lars Henning’s route notes that shows the hidden meadow in Glen Golly during last year’s dry run – the left hand channel of the river is currently dry!

No doubt you’ll get to have a word with Alan next weekend.

fatmax

Will be watching with interest as now on my ‘to do’ list…

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ll be spouting the usual commentary on the Twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/ht_550?lang=en-gb

Probably less than normal as I’ll be on Jura running the fell race then wandering about in a camper looking for signal with a 6 week old who constantly demands boob.

richpips
    Free Member

We’re heading up this Thursday, starting on Friday.

Tom has unfinished business.

epicyclo

Oh no! More sleepless nights…

When is the start so I can bank up some sleep. 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

When is the start

Saturday, May 27th, 2017 – 09:00

http://trackleaders.com/highland17

ianfitz
    Free Member

Edit as rich pipped me.

See what I did there…

nixie

Good luck all doing it this year. I really? want to have a go in the future. Looks epic :).

whitestone
    Free Member

Hi Rich, hope to see you and Tom back in Tyndrum after a successful trip.

richpips
    Free Member

Hi Rich, hope to see you and Tom back in Tyndrum after a successful trip.

Yep Bob, fingers crossed. Hopefully see you for a pint on Friday. 🙂

AlasdairMc

I’m excited, but like others I don’t have a working bike yet. Luckily something went bang this week so I know it needs replaced, otherwise I’d be up North and likely scratched if it happened on the trail.

Hopefully I’ll be all set by next weekend. I’d hoped to get out riding this weekend but given bike issues I’ve taken it easy.

tom84
    Free Member

sorry to bother you richpips, i wondered if you were still selling that 9spd mech and if you were fixed on the price please?

ianpv
    Free Member

Yep, excited! LL200 was my shakedown ride and that successfully broke my bike so I can join the “riders with no bike gang”. Awaiting a new shock from chain reaction next week.

I’m taking it easy for the next couple of weeks, and hoping the fitness is there after the last 6 months of training!

whitestone
    Free Member

Had a shakedown ride today in the Dales, a pleasant 80Km. It’s very, very dry – even the bits that are normally bog are dry 😀 Fitness must be there as I got a fair few PBs and some Strava top tens on climbs at the end of the ride 😉

Think I need a new chainring though, there’s a bit of a grinding noise and it’s the only part of the drive train I didn’t replace. Possibly a new saddle as well though it’s a bit short notice to get one broken in in time.

I started a thread a while back about possibly replacing my Shimano XT brakes – I went for broke (brake?) and got some Hope X2s. Much better. In addition the hoses run better for when you attach a bar harness, the Shimanos exit the lever at an angle away from the bar so a harness forces them out of line.

Roll on the JennRide next weekend.

kcal

good luck all – and esp. you Ian PV as at least I know you 🙂

dotwatcher
    Free Member

Tom and Rich will be setting off tomorrow morning. Just for those wanting to get their dotwatcher practice in before the main start. I guess there will be more sleeping than in the main event but more fun guessing the Instagram meal picture at the usual stops. Will Tom get to eat pies at The Pie Shop?

Andy

Hmmm, might do this as a 2 week bimble in June. Cant be much more gnarly than Swinley….surely? 😉

ianfitz
    Free Member

It would be great as a two week Bimble. I look forward to riding it like that at some point in the future.

There’s a lovely guide to riding it like that here – http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/highland-trail-550/

dotwatcher
    Free Member

Ok the guess was wrong. 91 miles since 6ish this morning and still going.

matt_outandabout

😀

tjagain

Me and Mrs TJ will be out there walking some parts of the route in fisherfield. Free jelly babies for any of you we see. Good luck all

GregMay
    Free Member

Another ITT rider off today – Mark Armitage http://trackleaders.com/highland17i.php?name=Mark_Armitage

dotwatcher
    Free Member

After a short diversion to Square Wheels for more brake pads and a wait for the Spar to reopen to stock up on cake and porcine products Tom and Rich put in a few more miles last night.
    They have made a start this morning already – hopefully the weather holds for them. Tom so wants to get back to see the main start.He will be the one who is setting the alarm.
    As they go into uncharted territory I know he will appreciate support from fellow dotwatchers. They are checking Twitter feeds @richpips where they can.

GregMay
    Free Member

Mark Armitage has scratched:

“crashed out yesterday around Ben Alder, physically broken a bit, will mend, mentally broken about not finishing (again)”

whitestone
    Free Member

Mainly a bump since riders (including myself) will be heading up to Tyndrum tomorrow in readiness for Saturday morning.

Minipips and his dad are still going strong on their ITT, they are approaching the Torridon descent as I type this.

The first 5Km or so of the group start will be neutralised and where the route leaves the West Highland Way there’ll be a few minutes’ pause to pay tribute to Mike Hall.

greasyrider
    Free Member

Good luck to everyone. Hope the weather holds. Looking forward to dot watching this.

dpfr

I really must object to the Minipips effort. I’ve already been dotwatching for a week and the main event hasn’t even started yet. I’m guessing, with less than 30 miles to go, Minipis and dad are going for it tonight. Good luck to both, and to all setting off tomorrow

dotwatcher
    Free Member

When I spoke to them at elevenes they were going for the finish tonight but Tom has a split rim which is slowing them down. They aren’t carrying a lot of lumens so it is going to be a crossed finger job. Looking at the spot they are still going for it. Tom wants to get back to do the tribute to Mike so I think they will ride as much as they can and walk the rest where they can’t see. Expect them in Tyndrum tonight or early tomorrow.

dotwatcher
    Free Member

They have just finished it. Just in time to ride the start tomorrow. Then the challenge of getting 2 bikes back to the Peaks on a Bank holiday weekend.

dpfr

Cracking effort! Congratulations to both

whitestone
    Free Member

Absolutely brilliant !!!

mbnutter
    Free Member

Well done to Rich and Tom. An inspiration.

I shall be touching my collar in memory of Mike.

Have a great ride all… weather looks as kind as possible for The Highlands.

pete68
    Free Member

Well all those that set off in warm sunshine this morning will now be soaked. Poured down since late afternoon with some lightning thrown in as well. Tomorrow looks drier.

nbt

http://trackleaders.com/highland17f.php

My mate Pete G is out there at the moment. Just had this update from his wife:

Pete got his pizza (yey!) and is sounding very chirpy and energetic, so is going to press on a bit further this evening.  

The morning was quite tough going for many of them due to heat & humidity, so the rain this afternoon was a relief (it has rained since Laggan). 

Well done Pete, keep it up 😉 

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘The 2017 Highland Trail 550’ is closed to new replies.