Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • That's it I've had enough! Sky content.
  • Kryton57

Bastards! Negotiated down to £65 a month last year, its crept up with price rises £80 again and they’ve just sent me an email with another £4 a month increase proposed.

I’m done with them quite frankly. I’m going elsewhere. What are my options (already have Amazon Prime)? I keep hearing that Virgins TiVo box is rubbish.

soobalias
    Free Member

their inabiltiy to identify whats in the box was enough for me

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just be aware that when you do ditch Sky you are going to get lots and lots and lots of calls and emails from them offering new deals etc.

Get ready for some dude wearing Hessian underpants to pop along shortly and advise you not to watch telly because he thinks it’s rubbish

joebristol

We’ve got a Virgin Tivo box – it’s ok, but we haven’t had a recent Sky equivalent to compare it to. Sometimes slow accessing certain content like on demand / catch up etc.

Virgin like sneaking up the monthly cost so you suddenly find it’s really quite expensive. Think it start at £35 a month just over 3 years ago – recently edged up again and it’s now £70!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ll be moving tv from Sky in April when that contract ends, and september when my fibre contract ends. Phoned last week to see if I could get a short contract on the tv and get the price down, best they could do was £about £20 off a 12 month contract.

Virgin have just installed cable in our area so I’ll be moving to that.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive just had the same email but going up £1.59 a month

it does really get my goat this, and its the reason I left talk talk

In my eyes, I sign a contract at the start with a set fee, as far as I’m concerned that fee shouldn’t change at all unless I add things to the package

with talk talk I got a price increase every 2 months at £2 a time, in the end I just sacked them off as what started off cheap at 20 quid, was almost 40 by the time I left just off these email price increases

I don’t go to various people like Vodafone and say, well I don’t want pay my normal monthly contract price this month, so ill pay you 2 quid less, why on earth are they allowed to do it to us with tv packages????

(I know it will be in the small print, but even still its ****!!!)

zilog6128

I keep hearing that Virgins TiVo box is rubbish.

Pretty sure that all other boxes are shite compared to Sky unfortunately. I actually did quit for a month, then signed up again for another year as they sent me a ridiculous offer, which worked out cheaper for a year than buying a half-decent freesat box.

br
    Free Member

, its crept up with price rises £80 again [/I]

Presumably because you’ve Sky Sports, as ours is nowhere near that.

somouk
    Free Member

Virgin have just installed cable in our area so I’ll be moving to that.

Wasn’t aware they were still expanding… that’s promising.

They have just released another box to compete with the new Sky one so look in to that.

aide

Cancel it, do without for a few months and they’ll phone you back with an offer. Bloke i work with cancelled sky a while back, they phoned him up a few weeks ago and he now gets sports/movies for £15-20 (cant remember the exact amount offhand)

skiprat
    Free Member

We quit Sky when we moved house. Sky kept calling and emailing offers for us to come back to them. Currently have 75% off for a year. I could of got everything for £20 per month as above. When that ends, i’ll call them back up and ask for a repeat order (or go through to cancellations and get them to do it). The kind lady at Sky to me to do this.

Tried other TV boxes but the sky one is just so much easier to use.

franksinatra

I’m not quite in the hessian underpants category (I’ve just ordered a new TV today) but I do think £50+ per month for TV is really steep, you must be watching a lot of TV for that to consider it worthwhile. I find enough on standard TV and Netflix so don’t feel the need to pay more. Why not just try that instead and spend the money you save on some nice stuff?

This only works for me as I don’t really watch sport, I guess if you ar einto sport then paid for TV is more valuable

legend
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Get ready for some dude wearing Hessian underpants to pop along shortly and advise you not to watch telly because he thinks it’s rubbish

“What is Sky? I’ve never even heard of it” FTW!

nickhit3
    Free Member

hessian underpants

love that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Wasn’t aware they were still expanding… that’s promising.

Think they’re putting cable into pretty much every house in Kilmarnock, not much use to you though.

I find enough on standard TV and Netflix so don’t feel the need to pay more. Why not just try that instead and spend the money you save on some nice stuff?

I can spend money on sky and some nice stuff, one isn’t exclusive of the other.

stumpy01

franksinatra – Member

I’m not quite in the hessian underpants category (I’ve just ordered a new TV today) but I do think £50+ per month for TV is really steep, you must be watching a lot of TV for that to consider it worthwhile. I find enough on standard TV and Netflix so don’t feel the need to pay more. Why not just try that instead and spend the money you save on some nice stuff?

This only works for me as I don’t really watch sport, I guess if you ar einto sport then paid for TV is more valuable

+1.

We’ve got a Freeview HD recorder box & that’s it. Well, now we’ve got a ‘modern’ telly we can have easier access to iPlayer, 4OD etc. as well, but it’s all free stuff.
    The odd thing pops up that I think ooooh, that looks interesting but not enough for me to pay £50+ a month for….

Can you just see how you get on without – you’ve got kids though, haven’t you Kryton, so perhaps more pressure to have the latest TV stuff? Our 15 month old isn’t too demanding in that respect, as of yet.

The thought of spending £600-£1000 a year on telly just boggles my mind though – I don’t think we could actually afford it, if we wanted it, to be honest.

legend
    Free Member

I can spend money on sky and some nice stuff

Silence peasants!

🙂

stumpy01

Gary_M – Member

I can spend money on sky and some nice stuff, one isn’t exclusive of the other.

But he actually said ‘spend the money you save on some nice stuff….’
    In which case one is exclusive of the other…..

rickmeister

I’m not a Sky subscriber nor ever will be but £80 per month … sheesh….

johndoh
    Free Member

In my eyes, I sign a contract at the start with a set fee, as far as I’m concerned that fee shouldn’t change at all unless I add things to the package

But they have to increase charges to cover their increasing costs, otherwise they would end up with lots of people paying way below current market rates.

You do realise that if they do increase rates you have the right to cancel the contract even if you are only 1 month into an 18 month contract don’t you?

chakaping
    Free Member

Who’s gonna tell him they might be dropping Eurosport too?

willard

If you have prime, then FreeSat and a Prime dongle should sort you for all but the worst things, surely? 80 quid seems very high for a TV package.

peteimpreza

“Who’s gonna tell him they might be dropping Eurosport too? “

Source ?

This will end my subscription if true .

transporter13
    Free Member

The new v6 box from Virgin is so much better than their tivo box.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Mine is proper rubbish, but my old dears is actually ok, no multi second pauses between pushing a button and something actually happening, it’s not buttery smooth but it’s not shit either. Tivo itself is pretty good.

There’s also a new one too which I guess you would get as a new punter. However having had Virgin for the last few months I’ll be binning it off when our year is up, I barely watch anything on the non freeview channels anyway, well except for Impractical Jokers on Comedy Central. Freeview and Netflix and to a lesser extent Amazon Prime is all I need.

johndoh
    Free Member

But the V6 is only available to current subscribers if they have 100+ broadband. I have 70 and I really don’t need the additional speed just to get a shiny new box (which they would charge me for too).

duckman

And the discovery channel is going as well…

prawny

peteimpreza – Member
    “Who’s gonna tell him they might be dropping Eurosport too? “

Source ?

This will end my subscription if true .

Horses Mouth

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/changes-to-sky-channels?DCMP=snt-skycom:ec_channel_changes

If it wasn’t fot the kids channels and the earache I’d get this would be it for me.

franksinatra

Does you spending money on Sky = you giving money to Rupert Murdoch or has he split off that business?

jimmy

Murdoch + Fox = cancelling as soon as poss.

Freeview + Netflix will be ample!

anon1
    Free Member

writing this subtly…

i would wait a month or two (or do without for a while). There are other providers out there, with Eurosport, and the ability to use NowTV (if you need Sports/Cinema for a short while, or SkyAtlantic), and Netflix. And some new providers are coming out in the very near future.

As I say, I’m trying to be subtle, so do read between the lines. 😆

dabaldie
    Free Member

Pete,

Its true. If you go to discovery and /or eurosport there is a banner across the bottom. Its to do with Sky not continuing with Discovery which is part of the same group as Sky wont pay Discoverys price.
    http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315571.

OK..too slow.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

But they have to increase charges to cover their increasing costs, otherwise they would end up with lots of people paying way below current market rates.

You do realise that if they do increase rates you have the right to cancel the contract even if you are only 1 month into an 18 month contract don’t you?

but I signed a contract with a set fee per month, its not my problem if they forecast the increase of running the business wrong, they should have overcharged me (which they do anyways) at the start! they simply shouldn’t be allowed to do it

and yes I realise that I can now cancel if need be, but I don’t want the hassle of it, so they’ve got you by the short and curlies! which is exactly what they want

the idea of signing a contract for a set amount over a set amount of months to me is concrete, it shouldn’t be altered

Jamie
    Free Member

The new v6 box from Virgin is so much better than their tivo box.

Yup. If it hadn’t of been released I was going to cancel. As was sick of being able to recite the Lord’s Prayer while I waited for a button press to register.

@johndoh

Ring retentions, have a moan. I bet they’d pop you on to the 100mb band for free if you’re going to get a V6.

It really is pretty nifty. i.e. Useable.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Don’t bother with BT either. They make the cockwombles at sky look like professionals. 😐

As the antithesis to this thread – just ordered Sky Q (have HD at moment) with 2 x multi-room, full package to compliment Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Looking forward to watching F1 in 4k

tjagain

OK I had to do it having got my hessian underpants on. I would never give Murdoch a penny of my money and £1000 a year for tv?

That’s entirely your prerogative tj – different matter to telling someone not to watch tv cos you think it’s all shit.

Demoted to mildly scratch hemp undercrackers

Kryton57

anon1 – Member

writing this subtly…

i would wait a month or two (or do without for a while). There are other providers out there, with Eurosport, and the ability to use NowTV (if you need Sports/Cinema for a short while, or SkyAtlantic), and Netflix. And some new providers are coming out in the very near future.

As I say, I’m trying to be subtle, so do read between the lines.

I don’t really do subtle 🙁

So Eurosport & Discovery going too – thats 50% of my viewing. Its definately going after I’ve broached the subject with Mrs K tonight.

We have Virgin here so if the new box is better and we can get it they’ll be 12 monthly swaps onto new offers from now on at least between them & Sky.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘That's it I've had enough! Sky content.’ is closed to new replies.