Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • thatched roof – what do I need to know
  • Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

I'm in the process of finding somewhere to accomodate a family unit that is going to double in size in the next few months, going to look at a place tomorrow that has a thatched roof.

What questions do people think I need to ask? So far I've got:
    – work out the orientation of the building in terms of NSEW
    – when was it all / bits of it last thatched
    – cost associated
    – is there any membrane beneath the thatch to keep wind out
    – recommendation for a local / good thatcher

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Matthew

mogrim

Basically, if it's thatched it's time to move in.

sqwheeler

I grew up under thatch…lovely! But be prepared for a bit of a shock under the 'cost associated' category. Those sound like all the right sort of questions to ask (although I've not come across an under-membrane before?). If re-thatching is imminent, might be worth actually talking to the local thatcher (if you can find one – if it happens to be in the Gloucestershire area I can rec one!) One thing to find out is what the waiting list is like – last time my folks had theirs done had to wait c.18 months, and I don't think that's unusual. Also, word of warning, if you end up there, be prepared to be very severe with any rats in the roof. My neighbours had them last year, caused a lot of leaks and a huge bill for rethatching. If the house is listed, in a conservation area etc. you may be eligible for grant funding to cover some of the costs of rethatching.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Firstly, find out whether its long straw, wheat reed or water read. This will have a huge impact on cost and how long it will last. Depending on the type of thatch it could be anything from 10 years to fifty. Check the Ridge, are the spars showing signs of rotting, if so it won't be long before a new ridge is due. Does it have an extension? if yes, check the gulleys, water can get trapped and rot the straw. Is the thatch fire-proofed, there should be a written certificated confirming it. I haven't thatched for about 15 years but when I did i was charging £500 a square 100 sp ft. so this will give you of an idea of a re-thatch. If it needs work then make sure you use a Master Thatcher, theres alot of cowboys about. Take some photos, and if you're not sure then email me if you want some advice. (My dad has recently retired after 40 yrs of thatching so could get his opinion of the roof)
    EDIT – don't worry to much if theres an odd damp patch, they can be easily repaired without having to do the whole roof. Chimney will need to be cleaned regularly. One of the most common causes of fires in thatched roofs.

Lummox

don't fit a woodburner!!!!

Have a very thorough inspection of the chimmney with regards it's condition.

Consider very seriously fitting sprinklers into the roof void.

I'm not trying to alarm you but recently in hampshire there has been a spate of thatch fires caused by retro fitting super efficient wood burners, these cause serious issues in the roof voids leading to fires in the thatch. The sad reality of thatch fires is it's salvage rather than extinction, by the time they're discoverd it's usually too late to save the roof and first floor.

If you want further advice with regards fire safety in thatch's please look at Hampshire fire services page http://www.Hantsfire.gov.uk for further advice.

Having seen the end result of a thatch fire many many times, i'd rather stick with a tiled roof.

Al

Trimix
    Free Member

Sounds like a whole lot of trouble you dont need.

Get something simple to keep in good order.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Get it know. We used to live in a thatched cottage. Heated by a log burner very warm no leaks. We replaced the ridge. If done well last about 20 years a good thatch should last 50 years. The only part that needed attention every 5 years was the joint between the chimney. Cost about £70 every 5 years. No need 4 membrane 2 keep wind water out, but i would look in the loft as they can be very dusty places.

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

thanks all, will take a look tomorrow. The roof is just one element in the whole equation of location, space, bedrooms etc but good to have a bit of a heads up

Matthew

Anna-B
    Free Member

I lived in a thatched cottage, rented so no costs associated with repair, but contents insurance double what it would have been without thatch.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Condition and period to next rethatch is key. You might want to get a thatcher out to give you a professional opinion. Rethatching is expensive, particularly if it's a big roof, and you need to chisel the house price on that basis if necessary.
    Is it listed? If it is, and it's currently thatched with longstraw wheat then the planning authority may insist it is rethatched with the same material. Longstraw tends not to last as long as water reed. Unfortunately it is highly unlikely that there will thatching grants available these days.
    There is no reason in principle not to have a modern woodburner if you want one – but you must get a proper flue liner at the same time that will insulate the old chimney lining from the liner. If a woodburner is fitted already this needs checking – plus regular sweeping is needed.
    Buildings/contents insurance is slightly higher bit not much – if you go to an insurer that knows about thatch. NFU Mutual seem to be OK. I'd say their costs are within the margin of variation of insuring a normal house.
    As noted above, loft areas are not so good for storage as they tend to get dusty.
    Thatch is great thermal and noise insulation.
    Dripping off the eaves can be annoying as it goes on for ever after rain, and there aren't usually any gutters.
    But – it looks great and you can get good value because of the numbers of people who talk complete rubbish about the disadvantages.
    Potentially more of an issue if it's thatched are things like damp if it's an old property – e.g. cob.
    I like thatch!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘thatched roof – what do I need to know’ is closed to new replies.