Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • that vandalised jet fighter next to the A1 before you get to newcastle……
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

i last went to newcastle about five years ago.its along drive from where i live and towards the end of the drive i could have sworn i shot past a jet aircraft very close to the A1 but it was all covered in graffitti and looked smashed up.
    a) was i tripping?
    b) is it still there?
    c) was it ever there?
    d) why was it there?

GrahamS

Do you mean the big rusty looking plane, stuck tail first down into the ground?

cranberry
    Free Member

Wor flasher?

scratch
    Free Member

The one near Newark?

I think the guy put it there to attract attention to adds that were placed on the side of artic wagons back in the 80's.

dickydutch

Thats not there any more is it?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its an English Electric Lightning if you mean the one somewhere around Newark?

Newark A1 Lightning

scratch
    Free Member

foggy memories coming back of my mate trying to ride off the wing onto the ground by the wing tip.

dave_aber
    Free Member

I remember going past it for the first time in 1985. It was complete and undecorated back then, but well past its best.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Even in that state it still manages to look good

odannyboy
    Free Member

Thats the one! that must have cost loads to put that there?
    is it still there or has it gone?certainly caught my eye mind!

scratch
    Free Member

There's a finer example just up the road here >

Newark Air Museum

Not sure if the one by the A1's still there, moved from Newark years ago.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

not very expensive, didnt Clarkson buy one as a lawn ornament saying it was cheeper than parking a fancy car there, or even a mondeo and looked a lot nicer?

willard

Last time I went to Newark, that lightnig was still there. It's a big shame it's getting tatty, it 's a super plane

Kuco

The one on sundays program about the universe was beautiful. Would love to have gone in that to 60,000ft.

sobriety
    Free Member
    goon
    Free Member

A chap on a scale model forum I frequent built this Lightning.
    It was a prize winner at a few competitions last year.
    (Looks like Hora's dog has tagged it.)

ononeorange

I think I recollect you can see it from the train as well. Unless I was dreaming that (!), I think it was still there a few weeks ago.

dickydutch

I think I might be getting confused with the rocket thing that was closer to Newcastle on the southbound side of the carriageway. Red and white with some type of advertising hoarding next to it i think……
    Sure thats gone now though?

anjs
    Free Member

The one on Sundays program (XS 451) has unfortunately since crashed killing the pilot.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I do remember seeing what looked like a SAM missile on a launcher truck near Sunderland quite recently

last time I went down the A1, the Lightning near Newark was still there – maybe a year ago. You should be able to see it from the East Coast Mainline too, as it's very close to the A1 at that point

Drac

I do remember seeing what looked like a SAM missile on a launcher truck near Sunderland quite recently

Yeah that was the mad chinese woman who was on Dragon's Den.

http://www.lingscars.com/feature/truck.php

konabunny
    Free Member

Yeah that was the mad chinese woman who was on Dragon's Den.
    http://www.lingscars.com/feature/truck.php

Jesus f'ing Christ! That website was like going back in time to 1998!

Drac

That's what you get when you pay graphics designer £50.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

the newark one is still there.

creaser
    Free Member

still there, went past it this afternoon

KonaTC

I saw one many years ago lift off the runway, under carriage retracted and then disappeared out of sight – straight up

A real rocket ship awesome

dave_aber
    Free Member

Had the privilege to work on them in the 80's during my RAF training. Mach2 straight up. Not many modern jets can do that, never mind ones from the 1960's

Northwind

I used to ride past one of those every day on the way to work… ZF584. Poor thing got pretty trashed when they relocated it though, it's in a flight museum now but they chopped its wings off 🙁

PJM1974
    Free Member

Sacrilege.

It's good to know they're still flying though, fantastic aircraft. I mentioned in another thread that my Dad designed bits of them and has a fair few Lightning stories to tell.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘that vandalised jet fighter next to the A1 before you get to newcastle……’ is closed to new replies.