Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 463 total)
  • That time of year is coming again – what's hot in the lighting world?
  • bentudder

Liking all of this – top work, everyone!

I’ve a couple of questions; I have been given a bunch of Sony laptop batteries by a friend – his laptop died, so the batteries are pretty much unused. They’re made up of 18650 cells. I’m guessing these are not protected, as there was a small amount of circuitry in the pack I’ve taken to bits. I have removed the tabs and they fit perfectly in the battery holder linked to above, as well as a few other 18650 holders I have. The question is: can I use some sort of fancy charger to charge them, or do I need to remove each cell and charge it individually? On top of that, is there a way for me to tell for sure that they’re protected or not?

And a final one – does anyone have a link to hand for the extension leads you can get for Bastids or Solarstorms? I need to update a couple of the holders to these, as I’m making a switch from using an old Nightlightning unit to running Solarstorms on both bike and helmet.

benp1

There was a chap on here called Olly who was importing Panasonic cells, the waterproof cases and SSX2 lights. I bought a battery pack off him for the SSX2 I already had, is good quality. To be honest my SSX2 battery pack wasn’t too horrendous, I just wanted more runtime. I now have the SSX2 battery pack as a backup. No reason to upgrade the SSX2 right now, never say never though

I keep being tempted by the Exposure Joystick, or maybe the Axis, as its such a good looking design. But my current set ups work so well I’m not sure there’s much point in upgrading. I use a Sunwayman V20c on my helmet, had a couple of these already, not bought specifically for biking so was a cost effective solution. It has infinite adjustability using a control ring. Pretty throwy with some nice flood

On the bars of my road/commute bike is a Fluxient U2 mini, its great value (bought from Torchy boy). It comes with charger and I bought a spare cell, it also comes with a mount that I butchered into a very secure helmet mount. Takes 18650 cells so I can swap them out when one runs flat, or take them out and charge them at work. Its basically an 18650 torch with a very diffuse beam and a U2 LED, two setting and a handy flash. The Exposure Axis is probably closest in output beam but I don’t have one so can’t say for sure. I mount it on my bars with a twofish lockblock so I can easily remove the light when leaving the bike somewhere

murf
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gloworm X2 which I’ve been using happily the last couple of years. Just bought a £15 solarstorm for the bars, can’t have too much light.
    Will charge it with my Gloworm charger and if the batteries are duff I can build a pack with some spare cells I have from a laptop battery.
    Roll on the dark nights!

bentudder

Found a source for extension leads if anyone else needs them: BikelightsUK.

Del

FWIW i’ve been using a yezl torch on my lid for a year or so. takes 18650 ( that xtar one + charger looks like a good deal linked earlier in the thread ), and also fits very nicely in a joystick mount, which can be had for ~ £10 quid from wiggle at the mo. useful amount of light for looking around corners and doing repairs, shows up in my bar mounted light ( a triple XML IIRC, I made myself ), just about, and gives good depth perception. they’re about a tenner.

iainc

ordered one of these ones linked by BillOddie on previous page. It’s more as backup/experiment anyway – if it’s crap the kids can use it 🙂 certainly wont be leaving it charging at night tho….

ordered yesterday morning and dispatched today….

rickon
    Free Member

£15?! Holy cow. That’s gotta be denting some of the profits from USE… although they still have the USP of longer battery life, a fully enclosed unit and less explosions.

iainc

£15?! Holy cow. That’s gotta be denting some of the profits from USE… although they still have the USP of longer battery life, a fully enclosed unit and less explosions.

yeah, that’s what I though, and I am using 2013 USE Joystick and Maxx D’ss my ‘proper lights’ 🙂

AlexSimon

iainc – Member

ordered one of these ones linked by BillOddie on previous page. It’s more as backup/experiment anyway – if it’s crap the kids can use it certainly wont be leaving it charging at night tho….

ordered yesterday morning and dispatched today….
    Good Lucy to you all!

BillOddie

@iainc Let us all know how you get on with them!

Just starting to need to light up for the final descents off the top on evening rides in my neck of the woods.

Nothing wrong with my old lights but an upgrade never hurt anyone (unless they explode)…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have the glowworm X1 and X2, the 850 and 1200 lumen versions, and a SSX2 and the YingDing light.

The Gloworm X2 is still a slightly nicer light than the others, more amenable to running at medium than the others, and also a slightly different light color.

But there isn’t an awful lot in it, with the gloworm also winning on better build quality and the remote switches and battery indicators.

For use on the head though the X1 is better as it is more beamy.

I also had a fluxient mini torch which I tried on the head, but my mk7 Joystick, although berated by Torchy and a lower output, is actually better as it is a better spot.

So I would say that an SSX2 on the bars with something more spotty, maybe one of those single XML things like C&B seen do, might work very well.

Those battery cases are a good shout as well as they have a screw link which mates with the SSX2, and you can use high quality cells which can be replaced or spare carried as separate cells which might be stashable in your bag easier than a complete battery.

rickon
    Free Member

For use on the head though the X1 is better as it is more beamy.

I find the new X2, the 1500 version with a spot and a wide optic the best for an all in one light – so no bar light needed.

I do have the X1, with the wide optic, which I find excellent for when I do want some extra light on the bars.

For me the Gloworm represents the best value for money, as the reliability, build quality, support and overall cost in superb.

z1ppy

For me the Gloworm represents the best value for money, as the reliability, build quality, support and overall cost in superb.

I’d agree, my m8’s is a much better light than my SSX2, but then it did cost quite a lot more & I have other (cheap) lights to compensate with. I have to say though I am not a fan of remote switches, but imagine thats a just my opinion (I see it as something go wrong too when out of warranty and no real advantage)

PS: CRG Moto (Gloworm distrib) currently have a sale on!

jamie_bkc
    Free Member

Arrived at the trail late on Wednesday night and felt a pang of envy as I saw some nice bright beams flying along at the other side of the woods. Two days later and I’ve ordered a SSX2, going to build a battery pack but looking for advice on chargers. There doesn’t seem to be much suggested out there other than that the stock ones are crap. There’s plenty of options for charging single cells but I’m after something with terminal wires to charge the pack as a whole. Any suggestions?

dudeofdoom

So is there still a market for the £300 plus Exposure, Lumicycle and other premium brands ? What is better about them and is the price tag justifiable ?

Being harsh as long as there’s someone willing to pay £300 for a torch then probably 🙂

I’ve had the better brands in the past but now tend to stick with the cheap Chinese cnc’d lights…

Constant commuting tends to kill whatever you buy so I don’t buy into expensive lasting longer 15quid a year for a light and battery is nothing .

I do have a rather nice set of £70 lights from kickstarter which replace a front spacer and fix in the seatpost so they can be left on without being easily tealeafed and actually look good which I did think was a bit of innovation.

And tbh anything bright on the handlebars seems to upset the other users of the cyclepath anyway and yes I do angle it correctly,

iainc

@iainc Let us all know how you get on with them!

light arived at work a few hrs ago. looks pretty good, well finished and battery sealed and then in a velcro pouch. The battery has been plugged in beside my desk and charging for about 2 hrs so far, the charger is quite hot but not too hot, or smelly…yet 🙂 wonder when charger light will go from red to green….

iainc

So it charged fine and I just tried it on the bike in a dark garage, side to side with current model Maxx D. The solar storm is brighter, a bit whiter and wider beam, although less even and diffused. Will try properly once dark.

wavejumper
    Free Member

I need to get some lights for an unlit road commute of 1 hr each way. Any good recommendations. Was thinking to get a helmet and bar combo to maximise visibility and not leave me stranded if one dies on the way home. I need good lights without spending hundreds. Any good suggestions?

iainc

Any good suggestions?

…aye, nearly 3 pages of them in this thread ! 🙄

wavejumper
    Free Member

Any good suggestions?

…aye, nearly 3 pages of them in this thread !

yep I know that but after something for dark country lanes, not off road MTB riding. Getting the balance between brightness, visibility and beam spread is different for this kind of riding unless you want to blind everybody.

iainc

On dark country stuff, which is my norm from the door for winter road rides I use the MTB setup of Maxx D on bars and Joystick on head. I point the bar light down a bit and if I see an approaching car tend to look left a little to dip the helmet light. At 25mph it can get scary dark without bright lights !

DT78
    Free Member

My SS turned up yesterday. Super impressed for £15. I’ll use it to replace a much bigger, heavier and brighter unit, that tbh is complete overkill – offroad you actually forget it is night…

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Neil’s how much does the head unit weigh? I asked the seller and he stated 550g which can’t be correct.

M yinding is tiny but the light is very yellow and poor so woukd like this for a helmet light

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Not sure but certainly not 550 grams. On holiday with no scales at hand but no more than a couple of hundred grams max. You wouldn’t notice it on your head that’s for sure.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Ok found it on another seller’s page claimed weight 140g

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Sounds about right.

pictonroad

3 hour ride last night with my £15 light.

Bloody hell. Considering I paid £15 for the bit of plastic my USE Diablo clips into I’m totally staggered. It even came with a free rear light that I was about to spend £5 on.

Charger gets hot but I stick it on an extension lead on the concrete shed floor. Just. In. Case.

I do know it’s wrong and all that but it’s every bit as good as my £300 USE light. For £15!

dudeofdoom

Told ya 🙂

iainc

went for a 10 min spin from the house last night – right hand side of bars – MaxxD (current version) as usual. Left side – £15 Solarstorm. Tried them togther and more importantly seperately. Light wise there is nowt in it, with pretty similar beams. The SS is whiter and a little bit more irregular. It’s also a bit of a jumble of cables wrapped around the battery pack and stem.

The MaxxD is great, as I know, and will keep going, with great warranty backup and it looks super and its cable free and dead neat.

You could buy 23 of the Solarstorms for the price of the MaxxD….., albeit I will need extreme care as to where and when I charge the Solarstrom due the heat from the charger and perceived fire risk

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone used something like this for a helmet light..
    Do the headtorches stay on a helmet?

http://www.lightmalls.com/k33-middle-yellow-color-zoomable-cree-xm-l-t6-3-mode-800-lumen-headlamp-2-18650

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’ve had an Exposure Diablo for a few years now , brilliant helmet light , it’s never let me down.

Question – when it does eventually die , has anybody ever had one serviced ?

Where did you send it & what was the cost & turnaround time ?

z1ppy

Cloud9, not used one but as that has the battery pouch included in the strap, you’ll find it’s extremely noticeable addition to your helmet. I used to run a ’torch’ on my helmet and even with only one battery, it was definitely not lightweight. The main issue with that will be keeping it attached & stable on your the helmet (Eg zip ties), even then the extra weight will make your helmet unwieldy. In all honesty I’d suggest a SSX2 unit & helmet mount (annoyingly tall TBH), with an extension lead to put the battery in your pack (or back pocket) will be easier.

PS: That look like a seriously good headtorch, but not for mtbing

Daffy

stanleigh – Member
    I’ve had an Exposure Diablo for a few years now , brilliant helmet light , it’s never let me down.

Question – when it does eventually die , has anybody ever had one serviced ?

Where did you send it & what was the cost & turnaround time ?

If you have problems with it, Exposure themselves will quite happily deal with it, usually at nominal cost.

Daffy

I use a Reflex an Equinox and a Revo. I’ve also tried (and own) an X2 and a Glowworm. The Reflex easily outdoes the X2(1500) and lasts almost 4 times as long on it’s battery.

The Equinox is (on full) only good for 30 mins, but set to 2/3rds will last over an hour and makes the perfect companion for the Revo when I’m on the country lanes on my way home after work.

I’d also not really wanting to be charging either of the two cheaper lights at work…in fact I charge both of them using the outdoor plug due to the heat in the charger.

When bought with a degree of economic savvy, Exposure lights aren’t too badly priced seeing as they hold their value quite well.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Nice if you can afford almost £1,000 worth of lights

bentudder

I’ve got an Exposure rear light (the Flare mkII) which does a smashing job when the contacts are clean. With daily commuter use in the autumn, winter and spring, that means cleaning it about once a week when swapping the battery out. I tend to take a while to do this, as the plastic thread on the lens / light unit part seems a little vulnerable to cross threading. I’ve had to return the charger for repair. The rubber band for holding it on has started to tear, and the rubber band on the under-saddle fitting that I bought to replace it that stops the unit from sliding out of the holder didn’t last a month.

I doubt a cheap rear light would last quite as long, but then I’ve used a couple of cheap rear lights as backups, because I don’t trust the Exposure unit not to fall off or simply stop working. The warranty support is superb – but I imagine that’s what you are paying the extra for.

In the same time, I’ve used a Nightlightning with a Smudge battery on the bars and an SSX2 as a helmet light, both of which have been completely reliable. One cost me about £120 four years ago, and the other cost me £25.

Much as I’d love to support a UK business (and I’m a big fan of both Exposure and USE – they’re smashing people) and as much as I hate the disposable nature of cheap lights, I’m plumping for the cheap and cheerful option.

Del

ahem cloudnnine:

Del – Member
    FWIW i’ve been using a yezl torch on my lid for a year or so. takes 18650 ( that xtar one + charger looks like a good deal linked earlier in the thread ), and also fits very nicely in a joystick mount, which can be had for ~ £10 quid from wiggle at the mo. useful amount of light for looking around corners and doing repairs, shows up in my bar mounted light ( a triple XML IIRC, I made myself ), just about, and gives good depth perception. they’re about a tenner.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

If you have problems with it, Exposure themselves will quite happily deal with it, usually at nominal cost.

I think the question was more about general wear and tear. I’ve got a 5 year old MaxxD and Joystick and the batteries aren’t what they were – steps down to save battery after an hour on full beam, not 3. Nothing wrong with it, just old. can you get them refurbed?

Alex

Exposure fixed my (very) old Joystick which had a dead battery after 5 years. Cost me £30 I think. Someone off here also does it but wanted me to get the battery out and I couldn’t shift the thread. My Lumi XPG3 is about 3 years old now but at 900ish lumens and still three hour life, not worth upgrading. Might get a diablo this year as I like the Cable Free Design on the helmet.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 463 total)

The topic ‘That time of year is coming again – what's hot in the lighting world?’ is closed to new replies.