Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 463 total)
  • That time of year is coming again – what's hot in the lighting world?
  • evillittlegoat
    Free Member

@ Johnbot – I think the Solarstorm logo on top should have a TM instead of an R.

cruzcampo
    Free Member
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    evillittlegoat
    Free Member

The Solarstorm website does show a square connector on the X3. That seller seems very similar to 360digital2011 who I bought a fake from. Description-wise, and the name, and the fact that the seller is based in China but ships from the UK. Its a minefield. Yet to see legit units for sale in the UK.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    scandal42
    Free Member

[quoteCan anyone who knows anything about lights/batteries give an opinion on this please:

The light in question

Was thinking at least he is honest about the output and that the battery is a least made by Trustfire….also thought I might be able to use the battery case and replace the cells inside if they don’t last.[/quote]

I have just pressed the buy button so I’ll let you know when I get chance to test. likes the fact I can change batteries if needed.

J273
    Free Member

I’ve bought an XT40 just the head unit as I’ve already a battery box, bought from DX EU so should get it in the next week or so. I’ll be using an MJ872 on the lid and the XT40 on the bars.

Am I ok to charge the battery’s in the box using the MJ872 charger?

Thanks

snownrock

I enjoy all this talk of whether the solarstorm units are ‘genuine’ or not, like these Chinese supplies have any IP or brand Kudos, Solarstorm is just text on the body of a light chruned out in god know how many factories. Don’t get me wrong, I use the Chinese lights but for the cost why get so bothered?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The beast cometh………….

Already got the battery out and on charge. Charger is very light, battery seems very small. Even more worryingly, the ‘charger’ is labeled ‘power supply’, implying there really isn’t anything clever going on inside.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/pMmFWe]20141023_175032[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr

Hmmmmm not a good start, the mount is plastic an was already snapped off. Looks like a plastic version of the normally aluminum mounts you get with most lights. The hole the wire goes in is pretty big and only sealed by the plastic mount (i.e. not very well). So it’s not going to survive any kind of dunking (hot case rapidly cooling down in water will suck water in unless it’s really well sealed).
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/pMqY5A]20141023_175052[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr

The front unscrews in the usual manner, there’s 7x XM-L2 wired in series, battery voltage is a nominally 8.4V (or 7.4, or whatever the nominal value of li-ion batteries is), which means either the driver is boosting the voltage, or it’s not and it’s going to be quite dim, seeing as the wires are just there and accessible I might measure the voltage and see.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oQyhfa]20141023_175451[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr
    Each of the LED’s is connected by 3 pins to the board (+ve, 0V and i’m guessing a thermal connection, it doesn’t seem to be an earth? The board itself is stuck to the case with some white gunk which I’m assuming is thermal epoxy or similar, there’s no screws or anything holding it in so not much chance of upgrading/complete dis-assembly without some more effort.

So far I’ll admit to being quite underwhelmed, we’ll see if it redeems itself in terms or output.

pk13

All the lights are coming in the same boxes and the same head bands supplied I’ve brought 3 this month all the same packaging as yours.

I’ve even used different supply outlets ebay, Amazon ect. All the ones I’ve got have better assembly than yours it seems

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I guess the headbands might be coming from a different manufacturer and they all get them from one of a few places?

It wouldn’t surprise me if there were factories churning out CNC’s bodies and others buying them in and fitting their own combination of drivers, switches, LED’s etc. It would certainly explain why there seem to be a few visually identical lights with some being a bit crap and others being much better.

TBH unless the output is stellar then it’ll be going back for a refund. It was the cheapest of the similar looking lights on DX so maybe there’s a lesson learnt, or maybe they’ll all be crap.

pk13

It’s a shame it’s so hit and miss. I’ve been experimenting a little with s2 light units. My original from last year has been ace the battery’s died so I swapped that with a proper pack from torchy resulting in 3 hour run times on full/med.

The next s2 came in the proper branded box looks better construction than the original and is most definitely brighter. battery life is over 2 hours on full but the battery is not even in the same ball park as the torchy unit build wise.

no3 s2 flashes on the rear leds to indicate battery life (my others don’t) and build quality is the worst I’ve seen so far but it looks original correct screws ect.

If I could get battery boxes and batteries for a reasonable cost I would be and selling them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well, tried it out, compared to my lumenator it’s nearly identical in terms of output, so that’s 2000 theoretical lumen at the most (so as usual the reality is probably half to third that), pretty crap really so it’s going back.

Northwind

cruzcampo – Member

@stoney the Hope R4 battery pack is mantle piece worthy

They need to upgrade their LEDs though, surprising for Hope as their slightly behind

http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp/Discrete-Directional/XLamp-XPG2

http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp/Discrete-Directional/XLamp-XML2

Even the Hope R8 sticks with the older G2 but double the quantity
    http://www.hopetech.com/product/r8-led/

I’d love to see them use XML2s

ooh, interesting reading, ta…

It’s a bit odd… The XML is listed as having a wider viewing angle than the XPG, but the real world experience always seems to be that without clever optics, XMLs are comparatively spotlighty and XPGs floodier and more even. Suppose there might be a selection thing here, manufacturers going for raw output choosing the brighter XML and manufacturers going for quality of beam choosing the duller but lower max power and cooler running XPG or something?

Kbrembo
    Free Member

My New Lumicycle Explorer arrived! Wow what a light!

Explorer,MJ872,Joystick,AyUp,Solarstorm X2..

richardthird

kbrembo you’ve got a bit of a light fetish going on there.

A while back we were talking about the new all in one multiple T6s which take 18650s inside, rather than wired. Enclosed ali body with 3-7 leds iirc.

Anybody’s arrive yet & any good?

Kbrembo
    Free Member

kbrembo you’ve got a bit of a light fetish going on there.

Always searching for the “perfect” light!

Think I have found it 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I apologise for this, but I can’t handle reading 12 pages…

I’m looking at stupidly cheap Chinese jobs, because I have a drawer full of high quality 7.4V batteries and smart chargers from my old Lupines, but I was wondering if any of the smaller single lamp units are decent? Something like this? I’ve already got a troutie and I want something small for my lid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-LED-Bike-Light-Bicycle-Rechargeable-Mini-Light-CREE-XM-L-U2-2000-Lumens-/321553643083?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item4ade17364b

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

http://www.7dayshop.com/products/7dayshop-bike-light-hyper-bright-t6-cree-led-bicycle-light-with-headlight-kit-rechargeable-genuine-cree-t6-xm-l-led-DS-009

You can get a Cree T6 light with two spare batteries for just over £50 here. I know the link has been shared before, but they are doing a bundle right now, and so with 3 batteries, its a bargin….

I already have one of these lights so now i have a spare battery for each light.

duckers
    Free Member

I bought 2 solarstorm x2 head units from lightmalls and didnt get the ones in the picture, not sure if it’s worth the hassle of contact and return over 15 quid, normally I am a man of principle and would battle to the end of time over it but i’ve stripped one down, made it water proof and have had a few runs and it seems fine. As long as I get a winter from it I’m happy.

What I can say though is wow! Switched it on, bright, it must start in high mode I thought, pressed the button expecting it to go into low mode, but it went brighter, wow, that must be high now, pressed again, BRIGHTER!!
    And run time is very goog, ran it on a combination of low, med, high for 2 hours tonight and the unit only just went down from 3 to 2 battery indicator lights ont the last couple of mile. Its a decent 4 cell 18650 rather than the battery that comes with the x2 but I reckon 3 hours should be possible, even 4 or longer.

Casting doubts over quality aside just go buy one and a seperate battery from torchy or smudge and embrace the darkness!!

pk13

molegrips if its just a light unit your after

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251693934661

nice and bright.shit battery’s. i use it with a torchy battery pack and its brighter than my solar s2. if i fall off and smash it up its only £12 to replace and as its on my helmet this will happen 😆

oh and charging bags can be got for £3.50 here
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301177616322?

J273
    Free Member

Ive just bought some 3400 Panasonics from torchy the battery boy which I’m going to use inside a battery box i bought off here a while back.

Can anyone tell me am i ok to charge the batteries in the box using my solarstorm MJ872 battery charger rather than charging them individually?

Thanks

Sui
    Free Member

Me! I have one!

Used it a few times. It’s ace! decent runtime, good beams, hasn’t set my hair/helmet/house on fire.

My “Uniquefire” chinese knock off of a chinese knock off came over the weekend. I thought the XM-L2 were supposed to be 50% brighter than the U2’s?? anyway, they’re not. It’s all OK, but that’s about it. Battery pack seems to be well constructed in a rubberrised container and you get a 3 pin plug – wahoo.. Still 20 odd quid who cares.. My S2 is brighter on max, but probably equivalent on Medium.

duckers
    Free Member

cruzcampo
    Free Member

J273 – Member
    Ive just bought some 3400 Panasonics from torchy the battery boy which I’m going to use inside a battery box i bought off here a while back.

Can anyone tell me am i ok to charge the batteries in the box using my solarstorm MJ872 battery charger rather than charging them individually?

Thanks

Not sure how much if any protection that will offer? Torchys batteries don’t have a protection circuit either so you could easily overcharge.

How about an Xtar VP2?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/solar-storm-x2-xtar-vp2-torchy-3400mah-battery-box-review

Sui
    Free Member

Just an update on the Uniquefire……. They are rubbish… Beam is woeful, battery may need some cycles or is just shit. On the positive side the chargercworks well..

J273
    Free Member

Not sure how much if any protection that will offer? Torchys batteries don’t have a protection circuit either so you could easily overcharge.

How about an Xtar VP2?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/solar-storm-x2-xtar-vp2-torchy-3400mah-battery-box-review

Yeah i might have to get one of these. I planned on charging in the box but i don’t think its a good idea with them not being protected and overcharging

I currently use one of these:

Which I’ve been using for the past few years when i was using 501B torches and trustfire 2500’s which worked fine, Ive just received my XT40 and got the 3400’s from torchy a few days back, but I’ve found charging the 3400’s using the above ultra fire charger they only last 1hr on low 🙁

Could this be the charger at fault or the batteries themselves?

Thanks

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Hmmm what amp does the charger work at?

I set the VP2 to 1a, they charge up to 4.19v in around 1-2 hours and even on medium the XT40 is still going after 4 hours.

I doubt the torchy batteries are faulty, it could be the ultrafire charger isn’t going up to 4.19v?

J273
    Free Member

According to the specs : 4.2V @ 450mA

Not sure if its actually doing that though. After having a quick search it seems this charger over charges, which is probably why it was killing my trustfire batteries I’ve had for years so maybe time to ditch it and get the VP2.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Got mine from here, next day delivery, its great as shows the volts while charging too.

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/batteries-and-chargers/xtar-vp2-dual-bay-lithium-ion-battery-charger.html

Good for epic all dayers too doubles as a powerbank too for charging phone etc

J273
    Free Member

Got the VP2 yesterday and its a nice bit of kit – Got the torchy’s charging now and hopefully test them later on see if i get more than an hours runtime.

J273
    Free Member

^^
    Thanks for the link btw Cruzcampo

eulach

I bought one of those ebay £26 chinese lights linked to on pages 2&3. I’m not impressed to be honest. The two beam thing is quite good but really not very powerful. I’ve been using a CandB Seen light for commuting for the last year (been used at least 2 hours a week in summer – more in winter) and it’s way betterer. The battery is still going strong. Worth the extra money IMO.
    Also bought a Fibre Flare Shorty as a rear light, also not impressed – not bright enough. I’d appreciate any feedback on a Niteflux if anyone’s got one.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I bought one of those ebay £26 chinese lights linked to on pages 2&3. I’m not impressed to be honest. The two beam thing is quite good but really not very powerful.

Was it one of the ones I linked to.? If so after comparing it to my single cell single led head torch it seems pretty dull. It’s enough to ride with and is ok on the road but it does feel under powered in comparison and the battery life is not all that either.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

I bought 4 of these of ebay after Finbar recommended them.

[/url]

absolutely fantastic, gave two to mates, and kept two for myself all are still running strong after 3 months,

battery lasts over 2hrs on full, takes around 4hrs to charge from flat + uk seller, took 2 days to arrive all for £15

Also got a free back light and no problems with hot battery chargers.

bi6al
    Free Member

Got myself one of these below great value

http://www.sprocketscycles.com/one23-extreme-bright-1000-front-light#.VF-0BycgGSN

Had a Chinese thorfire Cree light but it lasted 10 mins then wouldn’t switch between modes
    And stank of solder .

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

great thread, the annual ‘what light’ never disapoints.

one question, i’ve gone through all the pages and maybe missed it… is there a recommended battery holder (for use with a solarstorm) to use with individual 18650 batteries?

eulach

@ neils….
    Yes, it was. Exactly what you said ^

bigdrew
    Free Member

There is the solar storm battery box which is exactly what you are after. Wish i brought one rather than the pack I have. I’m sure it was linked on here.

Anyone have any recommendations on a helmet mount. Its for one of the single XML units. Lower profile the better:)

bigdrew
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/solarstorm-battery-boxes/page/3

Battery box buying info there, looks like they are 11 quid..

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 463 total)

The topic ‘That time of year is coming again – what's hot in the lighting world?’ is closed to new replies.