Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • That there Trillion Prime in Fresh Goods Friday….
  • vinnyeh

Lets see….

“We officially unveiled the production models of the Trillion Prime at the UCI Fort William Downhill World Cup”

Why would Singletrack throw a prototype into a test against production bikes?

Why wouldn’t Singletrack mention that the frame was a proto in the article, rather than some time later in the comments?

Why are Trillion taking orders?

Shades of the Edinburgh defence here.

And wildly off target mickomcd, people on here are almost without fail helpful and constructive when asked, just don’t take too kindly to weasely antics.

ajantom

Really you teach welding and don’t know that would be adequate for its purpose as a prototype id hazard your first post was a dig at something but now someone has pulled you on it .

I never said it wouldn’t be adequate as a prototype. I assumed (naively maybe?) that they’d have sent a finished model to be tested.
    No-one has ‘pulled me on it’ I volunteered the information freely, thinking it might be relevant to the discussion. Obviously you think you just had one over on me 😆

Teaching welding is a very small part of what I do, and I don’t claim to be an expert, just someone who can pass on the basics, and hopefully instill an idea of quality and accuracy in making to students.

However, all of my points about the poor aesthetics of the welding, and daft pricing still stand.

Can I just add the you’re not coming across very well on this thread, and it might be time to consider shutting up.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If it’s a (rough) prototype why would you then splash it all across the internet?First impressions and all that.

People try hard to put a product out……people slag ot regardless , its boring

Oh,they’ve tried hard <polite clapping>….it’s a bit shit but please don’t have an opinion.

know some of those people have been making far more critical things than a bike frame and would be able to weld both you and me under the table

One assumes then,they just could’nt be arsed doing a half decent job on this then.Breeds confidence.

mickmcd
    Free Member

just don’t take too kindly to weasely antics.

are you accusing them of weasely antics or referring to something else?

And again aracer so far off base , ever just think their pricing might be based on what it costs to run a place making pretty much anything these days

a lot of the people who know me know i dont make anything for the bike industry anymore because it pays shite and always has

aracer
    Free Member

People slag it off when it’s a bit rubbish. The pricing being rather optimistic also means the expectations of the quality are high.

Really you teach welding and don’t know that would be adequate for its purpose as a prototype

“adequate for purpose” rather depends what the purpose is. If the prototype is simply for in house testing then that’s totally accurate. However when one of the purposes of the prototype appears to be hawking it around for evaluation – and when the pricing is super premium – then no, it’s not “adequate for purpose”.

I do know some of the story behind it I know some of those people have been making far more critical things than a bike frame and would be able to weld both you and me under the table

Well WTF don’t they demonstrate that then?

And your right aracer you can go and buy some shit from Halfords that will pass a test that’s all it has to do. It doesn’t have to make you feel warm and fuzzy

That prototype isn’t making me feel all warm and fuzzy either.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Obviously you think you just one over on me

no because honestly its irrelevant , I once got told if youv’e nothing nice to say ,…..further to this you seem to assume like many others that coming across on a thread well has any bearing on wtf has that got to do with anything ,

you can add what you like to the thread as obviously you saw fit to start it with the fact that for your money they had better up their game which would be fair enough …you weren’t starting a thread to have a dig

aracer
    Free Member

Given other people appear to be able to do a much better job for less, no. Unless they’re terribly inefficient. I suspect their pricing is set at what they think they can persuade some mugs people to pay (as usual) and that they’ve looked at the super premium end of the market and assumed that’s what they are.

davosaurusrex

This is starting to remind me of the failed pop star in League Of Gentlemen. “It’s a shit business really”.

First things I thought when I saw the Trillion on the front page were “how much!?” and “the welding on that seatstay bridge looks shit”. Pull your head our of your arse Mick, you’re making yourself look stupid.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Well WTF don’t they demonstrate that then?

. maybe they think they dont have to why not tell them they need to as inyour opinion they completely handled it in a shite manner and should know better.

All i have seen on here lately is the poor **** at Sick getting slated

hebtro co getting slated

now trillion getting slated by people

not a single positive, well done lads for having a go or nuttin

just typical miserable STW criticism and really you ,me ,us could be doing more to support uk making if its shite tell em support them and push them in the right direction,

but its not your job is it and easier to snipe

aracer
    Free Member

A surprising lack of marketing nous in that case. No I’m not a marketing professional, but I’ve spent time working in marketing and I know people very high up in marketing for the outdoor industry (since we appear to be throwing around credentials here).

You are Andrea Loathsome and I claim my £5

mickmcd
    Free Member

It’s a shit business really

no one said that ….its more people don’t want to pay what something costs to make , however whenever anyone mentions id buy that if it were UK made Yada Yada Yada you think FFS chances of people putting their hand in their pocket …

and for some reason the bike industrtry seems to think of it as more expensive than anyone else

No I’m not a marketing professional,

No neither am i ,

You are Andrea Loathsome and I claim my £5

yeah yeah

ajantom

No neither am i

Yes, we can tell.

I don’t think it’s that people on here are overly negative or down on stuff. However, there is a healthy scepticism of silly marketing guff and the spin that certain parts of the industry seem to feel the need to put on their products.

mindmap3
    Free Member

All i have seen on here lately is the poor **** at Sick getting slated

hebtro co getting slated

now trillion getting slated by people

That Sick bike looks horrid to me. The lack of info made is poor, the marketing comes across as a bad joke. Just because it’s made in the U.K doesn’t mean I have to like it.

The welding on the Trillion is undeniably bad. It’s a nice looking bike but the quality does not justify the price. It’s been mentioned here and elsewhere, they’re supposedly aware of it but in these latest pics show they’ve not done owt about it. That’s a poor show.

I’ve seen prototypes for the likes of Stanton and they look loads better than this in terms of welds etc.

The HebTroCo thing…well that’s just STW at its finest.

Rorschach
    Free Member

not a single positive, well done lads for having a go or nuttin

if its shite tell em support them and push them in the right direction,

Erm…I is confuddled.Which one are we supposed to do?
    Mick…some chip you’ve got there 😕

mickmcd
    Free Member

Erm…I is confuddled.Which one are we supposed to do?

do what you want

why not be helpful

Rorschach
    Free Member

why not be helpful

Ok….PUT THE SHERRY DOWN.
    But apparently it’s considered sniping or slating…..I’ll add dissin’ too (for t’kids)

mindmap3
    Free Member

why not be helpful

People have been and said the welding isn’t good enough yet it’s fallen on deaf ears. They’ve said it since the first pictures.

mickmcd
    Free Member

But apparently it’s considered sniping or slating

cmon you know exactly what taking the little snippets of someone else’s post is and using them to make your post moar (for the kids) valid

slowster
    Free Member

I would have thought that the comment and opinion on a website like this is helpful to a business launching new products. Especially negative feedback, even if you and the business owners think the opinions are ill informed. Those ill informed people are still likely to be the sort of people whom the owners might expect or hope to be potential customers. Your berating them is not going to make them suddenly see the light and decide they want to buy one.

Far better to know in advance that at least some people are going to question the finish and pricing and that they may need to review these now, rather than proceed blindly without any feedback or comment on social media and then be surprised when they don’t get the sales they were hoping for, for the reasons that are being mentioned on this thread.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I really like the bike. But I have a bit of a soft spot for hardcore hardtails.
    However, at that price point quality is everything. Quality product, service and support. I really really hope Trillion do well and get off the ground. A few more years/products and they may well be in a position to compete with the established names.
    As that is where the competition is, Shand, Cotic, Stanton etc.
    Choice is good.
    Best of luck to the guys.
    But I have to agree, that welding isn’t selling the product.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dang.
    No sniping.No slating…….No quoting 🙁
    You’re going to say no Memes next are’nt you?Or just no bombing/heavy petting?
    You monster.

ajantom

There are definite positives about the bike.
    Nice clean lines, slidey dropouts, good stand over, long TT and slack head angle.

However, as mentioned before the dropper cable routing is odd, the seatube/seat stay junction is a bit fussy, and designwise there doesn’t seem to be much of a USP over many other steel hardtails. If you looked at its silhouette it could be any number of bikes. Not a bad thing per se, as the low stand over/brace design works well.

sirromj

The seatstay to top-tube thing, I guess is for more vertical compliance?

LAT

Or just no bombing/heavy petting?

Gosh, your local pool sounds ace, even regular petting is verboten at mine!

You see, if you’re going to be makin’ a dis, at least be subtle. Good work and certainly better than what I was planning to add, “that seat stay/top tube junction puts me in mind of a GT with a steeply sloped top tube.”

About the welding, strong welds don’t need to be pretty. I once saw a Ferrari on Top Gear that was so good that it had no carpets. The welding on the floor looked like metallic slugs. My Old Pop, who worked in the oil and gas game, could never understand why the welds on my fancy bike frames hadn’t had a file taken to them. Even my de kerf! He wasn’t even a welder! Cheeky sod.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

😕

As an industry we have entire rule books about keeping prototypes out of the public eye. Disguises, closed facilities, instant dismissal for idiots taking photos and so on.

Then a special run of shiny protos for the press. With proper welds.

LeeW

While it is an expensive frame, I think it looks pretty cool – welding aside. Full RRP is taking the piddle on the build components as you could save at least a third buying from most of the online retailers.

Worrying thing about the pricing as is (for me) is that if they do employ AN Other to do more aesthetically pleasing welding, will it cost more?

Maybe if they invent a back story and market it as being built in Nottingham, where thousands of bikes used to be built, and now there’s only one factory working a three day week making BSOs for Argos. Now Sanjeev is back to make Notts proud again, they’ve put down the arc electrodes (though not quite yet from what I see) and are ready to save the British bike manufacturing industry.

NotaBikeCo hasn’t yet been registered as a company name, I only give it time.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

At least that could be interpreted as Nottinghamshire Bike Co when you outgrow you original factory in Nottingham itself and move to one 25 miles away.

benpinnick

As an industry we have entire rule books about keeping prototypes out of the public eye.

I thought it was de-rigeur now to leave your proto in the back of a van with the doors open at tescos while you get a coffee so that you can tell the world it was stolen and get loads of easy press coverage without pesky things like questions or testing?

sirromj

You see, if you’re going to be makin’ a dis, at least be subtle. [/quote]

Well it was what I thought it might be for. Was hoping someone with the approrpriate knowledge would say yes it would help with vertical compliance, or no, that is just form not function 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

benpinnick – Member
    As an industry we have entire rule books about keeping prototypes out of the public eye.
    I thought it was de-rigeur now to leave your proto in the back of a van with the doors open at tescos while you get a coffee so that you can tell the world it was stolen and get loads of easy press coverage without pesky things like questions or testing?

tescos? 😯

You are dead to me…

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

‘Hello, designers? Yea, so those gussets you put in – any chance you could fill them with odd, pointy cutouts?… I don’t care if it’s a terrible idea, I just like my strengthening features to be full of stress raisers…’

Anyone else remember hope’s lightning bolt rotors?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

why not be helpful

I’d say observing that their welds are ugly, the bike looks inferior and overpriced compared to more established reputable competition in the market, and trying to charge full rrp for parts used to build the bike is questionable are quite helpful observations.

By comparison I recently bought a road frame from Reilly, a small UK company. The welding is gorgeous, I did loads of research and it compared favourably to the competition, and the full build was only £500 more than the frame and fork bundle. The Ultegra groupset would have cost me £500 if I’d shopped around and used discounts online, everything else (including their equally lovely in-house carbon seatpost) was effectively free.

Trillion aren’t exactly some garden shed kickstarter project in need of defending either,

Liberty House an international metals and industrial group, It’s current turnover is approaching $6.8 billion and it employs over 4,000 people

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Be interesting to see a video demonstrating any vertical compliance 😉

And

HORRID WELDING! 😉

RustyNissanPrairie

I can see that gusset/plate cracking round the seat tube weld.
    Nice paint – I had a nosey at Fort William but didn’t know the price at the time.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Don’t think it’d be worth it. Half a dozen rubbish shots from a mobile and a speculative article in jalopnik (i think) got us something like half a million unique hits on the home page and several thousand dealer enquires……..

aracer
    Free Member

Just form not function. HTH

benpinnick

What was that for @ghostlymachine?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Solar powered penis pump.

benpinnick

Quite.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If memory serves, the new XC90.

We only do pneumatic penis pumps here, not enough sun for solar. Allegedly.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘That there Trillion Prime in Fresh Goods Friday….’ is closed to new replies.