Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • That singletrack compass stem cap in advert >>>>
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I had an idea for this about 10 years ago but thought it wouldn’t work due to metalic objects (esp a steel stearer tube) messing with the readings?

Yay or nay?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Aluminium or carbon aren’t magnetic.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

It doesn’t take much to interfere with a compass, as a min the stem bolts will be steel in most cases.

dabble
    Free Member

It doesn’t take much to interfere with a compass

mucky pup, thats a well niche fetish, leave em alone!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

where do you think Capt Scott kept his compass to stop in freezing en route to the pole?

dabble
    Free Member

😆

“bagsy not navigator!”

sputnik
    Free Member

Friend of mine went for the clock cos he had reservations about the usefulness of the compas .

charliedontsurf

Oddly they actually work, and the ones I have can be supplied with a non magnetic star nut bolt.

I like the thermometer ones as they are most pointless, but do hint at what a fat bike can do…. As if I Will ride in minus 15!

Cletus

How do these gadgets work to actually replace the stem top cap – do they have a bolt poking out of the bottom to go into the star not or do they work some other way?

avdave2

Actually I don’t think you’ll find Scott had to worry about that my great great uncle Henry Bowers was navigating.

johnnystorm

I don’t know for certain but you could tension with regular top cap, clamp stem then replace redundant top cap with compass, etc.

charliedontsurf

It’s a top cap,, shaped like a small ash tray, fit it In The normal way, then pop in the gadget

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i can’t imagine they will sell more than 3 or 4………really, who wants one? 🙄

thehustler
    Free Member

Here’s a free one for singletrack towers, make a bike comp that fits there and I could see that being very popoular

robsoctane
    Free Member

the hustler – Member
    Here’s a free one for singletrack towers, make a bike comp that fits there and I could see that being very popoular
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

+1 for this.

spooky_b329

+2. A basic speedo and if it were wired, the wire could pass through the steerer.

tazzymtb

a small spirit level with “wheeeee!” when the bike points down, “pedal monkey boy” for when it’s level and “oh you XXXX” when the bike is going up climbs. Would amuse my simple little mind, every time

JoeG
    Free Member

An inclinometer is available. Doesn’t say “wheeeee!” and “pedal monkey boy” though. I’ve always wanted one but couldn’t get myself to spend that much for one…

rexated
    Free Member

I reckon Charlie the BM almost had it – a handy ash tray would be a nice touch for that mid-ride panatela.

drlex
    Free Member

I reckon Charlie the BM almost had it – a handy ash tray would be a nice touch for that mid-ride panatela.

Or, conversely, a small snuff box for the likes of CFH and other chaps? Perhaps one for Bike the CharlieMonger…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

P_L – you need to know about Kelvin’s Balls.

rexated
    Free Member

the CharlieMonger…

and you could have a hollow top-cap bolt just wide enough to get a rolled up £10 note through….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘That singletrack compass stem cap in advert >>>>’ is closed to new replies.