• This topic has 45 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • That portly chap in the Lampre kit might have kin in Fife.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

wwaswas

That’s an AeroBelly™ – it’s all about marginal gains, innit 🙂

portlyone

That’s plump, not portly.

I was out on my road bike at the weekend, nicely colour coded in black and red. I looked like a sun-burnt killer whale!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It’s like a scene from Richmond Park on a weekend.. But more Sky kit though.

scud
    Free Member

If it was Richmond Park it would be a Pinarello and Sky kit and the sound of creaking carbon wheels.

gwaelod
    Free Member

His lungs are so huge they displace his belly when he inhales…same with all top pro riders

woody2000

Fuel tank for a big engine? 😉

zippykona

Fair play to him though, he has actually ridden his bike today !

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Its aerodynamic, the belly pushes the air under his ballbag.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I`d be over the moon if i looked that svelte and trim on my road bike ! .. ive alot more fuel tank than the chap above 😀

nemesis
    Free Member

That is all.

daveagiles
    Free Member

More frontage for advertising as well. You wait till the big companies catch on.

nemesis
    Free Member

Mind you

woody2000

Ah, Fat Jan – he loved his pies in the off season, then shifting it all with erm “diet coke” 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I somehow think Mr Kennoway Road Club up there will be quicker than most of us posting on this thread!

cookeaa

Are we certain that’s a fella?

bigjim

Its just aerodynamic fairing

I wish I could unsee that

jobro
    Free Member

Wish I looked that good on a bike!

taffy
    Free Member

jobro – Member

Wish I looked that good on a bike!

I wish i looked good!

I know i had a bit of a gut even when i was 18 and lived on my old zasker and was a 10 stone rake.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

He would have been better off spending the money he used for aero bars on some yoga sessions to allow him to get a lower position

D0NK

I somehow think Mr Kennoway Road Club up there will be quicker than most of us posting on this thread!

With all he’s spent on kit I should certainly hope so*.

I’ve never TTed, you’re probably right.

*I would say the same if it was skinny bloke aboard

Speshpaul

he is out there riding. that’s all that matters.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Speshpaul – Member

This. Ah for all those jibers and diggers, I wish you could TT against my large friend who is so quick it’s unreal.
    Who really gives a shit?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Some older fat TTers are fast, they don’t need to climb.

Some are just fat though.

cookeaa

Seriously, looking at the build of that person, just doesn’t look like an overweight bloke to me; relatively slender arms/shoulders , all the “Bulk” seemingly on the front in the Stomach area, some chest (Ahem) frontage (could be “bitch-tits”, may simply be err, tits?). You can’t really tell gender from facial features in a low res picture side on in that pointy hat…

I actually reckon that could be a Pregnant Woman, in which case, she double owns all of you point and laugh at the fatty, interweb cycling experts…

If its a tubby Fella, fair play to him for riding despite bitches like you lot, with your chiseled physiques, chucking about judgments…

legspin
    Free Member

wow slimming world weigh in not go well last night cookeaa?

cookeaa

wow slimming world weigh in not go well last night cookeaa?

Why not, I’ll bite…

Like I say I think its actually a Pregnant woman…

But as a side note I generally dislike the tone of mockery and piss taking that it still seems acceptable to aim at overweight people. Especially given this forum is awash with pasty scoffing, desk-bound IT professionals with a passing interest in bicycles… I’d have though a bit more empathy towards those in a similar boat might be due but clearly not…

My weights not ideal, but I’m in the right region on the BMI tables currently (thanks for the concern)…
    My issue is really due to seeing those close to me deal with their weight and my own realization that most of their battles are dealing with day to day casual abuse/criticism/assumptions and the impact other peoples attitudes have on them psychologically, that’s what triggers overeating and inactivity…
    Write me off as a lefty hand wringer if you like, but its some of the worst casual bigotry still going…

Its no longer acceptable to take the piss out of peoples ethnicity or disabilities for the majority of us, but fatties? Oh yeah you can take the piss out of them because its all their own fault…

I Just don’t like it, sorry if choosing not to be an Oafish Twunt about other peoples weight problems, and not wanting to join in on the piss taking of someone who actually chooses cycling as a means of getting some exercise makes me a bit of a killjoy…

Carry on….

cupra
    Free Member

Well at least they are out there giving it a go. Some of you should go and read Man in the Arena by Theodore Roosevelt.

kcr
    Free Member

m1kea
    Free Member

Speaking as a roadie, TTer, photographist, it’s not difficult to make someone look like they have a massive paunch when they’re tucked in.

The tester in the 1st pic will have a bit of a belly ‘in real life’ but I strongly suspect he’d look a lot better than many other folk (on here).

I’ve taken photos of Hutch that make him look ‘overweight’ and he definitely isn’t!

LS
    Free Member

Indurain above is the obvious winner in the ‘big lungs’ game, but any knockers of the guy in the photo should try TTing against Roger Iddles.
    Must be in his 60s now, less than svelte, 19 minutes for a 10m TT.

scuttler

Good call Cupra – To the knockers, “Man in the Arena” is not a book but a speech made by Roosevelt in 1910 and it goes like this

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Of course Mr Kennoway in the pic may have all the gear and not much else, or he may be regional champ; regardless he’s having a go – and riding a bike in that position makes sucking it in very difficult. He looks sturdy rather than lardy to me.

bob_summers

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

But as a side note I generally dislike the tone of mockery and piss taking that it still seems acceptable to aim at overweight people.

Especially given this forum is awash with pasty scoffing, desk-bound IT professionals with a passing interest in bicycles… I’d have though a bit more empathy towards those in a similar boat might be due but clearly not…

Write me off as a lefty hand wringer if you like, but its some of the worst casual bigotry still going…

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Oh the irony……

big_n_daft
    Free Member

“That portly chap in the Lampre kit might have kin in Fife.”

and where I live, in fact in my house, because it’s me

at least I’m now riding my bike properly again

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Good on you mate. Don’t listen to this rabble – or if you do only after you’ve compared times for a 25.

nealglover
    Free Member

Like I say I think its actually a Pregnant woman…

I think I would be more offended by someone mistaking me for a pregnant woman rather than a few people saying I was a bit more than my ideal weight, based on a photo of me doubled over on a bike.

Funny how sometimes when you try and do the right thing, you just make things much worse.

TiRed

This plus lots!

Fastest guy in our club is short, a little round and just posted a 3:52:25 PB and vets club record for a 100 last weekend. All you naysayers are welcome to post your 100 times. Perhaps we can start with 25’s 😉

m1kea
    Free Member

Here you go TiRed

Personal Bests
    10 Thu 08/06/06 G10/98 0:21:29 M Anton 00:21:29
    25 Wed 16/08/06 P885/25 0:54:52 B Instone 00:49:33
    50 Sat 31/05/08 E2/50C 1:56:52 Nik Bowdler 01:39:02
    100 Sun 23/07/06 G100/59 4:09:35 S Jardine 03:58:58

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Using E2 times is cheating, I live near Bury, haven’t TT’ed in years and even I know that 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘That portly chap in the Lampre kit might have kin in Fife.’ is closed to new replies.