Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • that plastic disc behind the cassette…
  • FallOutBoy
    Free Member

what does it do exactly!?

Mine is currently jammed against the cassette and preventing the freewheel from.. er… freewheeling.

Is it like a bell and wheel reflectors… ie. destined for the bin?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

stops your rear mech over shifting the chain into the wheel. But if your mech is set up proper then it wont do anyway

Militant_biker

What he said ^ ^ ^

You can take the cassette off to remove it easily, or just smash it up and tear it out. Carefully.

s
    Free Member

It has a gps data tag imbedded into the plastic, which sends you location to dog/stick owners who then can plot the best route to get in your way!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I hate to be a pedant about this, but it doesn’t stop your mech overshifting.

It prevents the chain falling between the rear of the cassette and the spokes if your mech does over-shift.

As has been said, a properly adjusted mech shouldn’t overshift in the first place.

jfletch
    Free Member

Just search for “Pie Plate” on Google to view the shame you have bought on your family by not removing it immediately.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Put a reflective sticker on it and tell your mates it uses mystical energy to make your bike roll faster.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It indicates that you’re not a real mountain biker, and all your friends will be sniggering and pointing behind your back 🙂

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I’ve had some spokes a little cut up at the base when a chain once went over badly and jammed. It didn’t affect the bike immediately but may have contributed to some later spoke breakages. I guess it protects from that if you have a crummy set-up.

Coleman
    Free Member

Vanity and the knowledge I have a perfectly set up drivetrain means I never use the plastic spoke saver discs.
    However, last season during a particularly gloopy cross race, my chain over shifted ripped through 3 spokes, gouged the hub flange, wrecked the rear mech and chain – about £100 damage – ouch!

I now run the rear wheel with, yes you guessed it No spoke protector!

Vanity rules. 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

Yes I used to mock people who didnt just KNOW you shouldnt have one on your bike.

Until

My rear mech took a knock on the way out to the Marmotte, I didnt check my gears and guess what I, I repeatedly lost my chain into the spokes, eventually jammed it right in, ripped off my rear mech getting it out! All in 30c heat half way up Glandon/Telegraph.

Cost me 1.5hrs and a whole world of panic/pain.

Hey you asked.

(You still have to take it off or people will call you a douche)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘that plastic disc behind the cassette…’ is closed to new replies.