Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • That Nick Larsen Interview
  • toons
    Free Member

Sounds like he's got a mass chip on his shoulder about the STW forums and the perception of charge bikes on it. He also sounds jealous of CY and Brant.

Do kids really think mountain bikes are uncool?

grievoustim
    Free Member

please give more info on what he said for the skinflints among us

ta

brant
    Free Member

I'm still not entirely sure of what to make of it. But it did seem a bit odd.

nickegg
    Free Member

Not sure what he expects….his fixie type bikes have created more interest in the brand of late than any of the mountain bikes in the range.

Plus didn't he just sell Charge (via Hotwheels) to the Dorel group??

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Maybe its becuase I know who brant is. WTF is Nick Larsen, does he make bikes for radge muppets to push between street cafe's when they're not RLJ'ing?

backhander
    Free Member

All I've heard about charge is that their customer service is sh1t.

chargebikes
    Free Member

What did I say to make you think I was jealous of Cotic and On-one? I do admire what they do, but I think jealously is a bit strong. I think the forum comment related to one particular thread some time ago that I got involved with about Charge and "Marketing Bullshit". I should never have.

Nick

hilldodger
    Free Member

Do kids really think mountain bikes are uncool

bmx – yup, cool as…
    fixies – yup, in a hoxton kinda way
    mongrel bikes – always cool
    but mtb – aaah c'mon, there's absolutely nothing 'cool' about mtb's

brant
    Free Member

Well… perhaps you were misquoted Nick, but… "…the geek side of it needs toning down. It’s odd that people admire Cy from Cotic…"

crispedwheel
    Free Member

does he make bikes for radge muppets to push between street cafe's when they're not RLJ'ing?

This made me laugh. Good description.

miketually
    Free Member

Interview all about Charge bikes being for non-bike geeks, then finds it odd that bike geeks don't fawn over the brand?

chargebikes
    Free Member

Brant, well all I can say in my defense is that I do personally admire what Cy from Cotic has achieved, what he designs and produces, and I genuinely am sorry that I used his name and brand to illustrate my point that, "the geek side of it needs toning down." That was wrong, I regret doing that and I apologise.

nickegg
    Free Member

Surely to design great bikes you need to be a 'geek'??

james-o
    Free Member

true! c'mon folks, do any of us who are into alfine hub ratios, head angles or fork damping NOT think of ourselves as a bit geeky? 😉 in a positive way n'all..

Swiftacular
    Free Member

but mtb – aaah c'mon, there's absolutely nothing 'cool' about mtb's

THats the main reason i love it so much still. When it becomes cool it gets jumped on like any bandwagon.

chargebikes
    Free Member

I am a geek, I think… well I hope, I am after all posting on this forum. The point was that to make mountain biking attractive to non-cyclists (rather than fixies) it needs to be less geeky.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Surely to design great bikes you need to be a 'geek'

but you certainly don't need to be a geek to enjoy riding one 😉

it's the obsessive keyboard kit-fwappery that defines the 'geeks', and that's what makes mtb 'uncool' – middle aged, middle class, middle england blokes posting about esoteric niche bikes, £500 coffee pots and mortgage woes whilst correcting each others punctuation & spelling and all the time pretending they're part of some sort of 'scene' or 'online-community'………

…rad

tankslapper
    Free Member

Less geeky?!

I mountain bike to escape 'geekiness' 😥

ahwiles
    Free Member

you've failed.

kelvin

The whole fixie thing is a geek culture/fashion gone mainstream, isn't it? It may by ironic, but that's how I see it.

alexmorris
    Free Member

Hey nick

I haven't read the interview yet – but I think I get what you mean and I reckon it's down to semantics.

If you exchange 'geek' for 'nerd' – what you're saying totally makes sense. There are few (if any) truly aspirational brands in MTBing. By that I mean brands that even if you are a non-cyclist and don't get the geeky stuff (which actually draws a lot of us to the sport) then you'd want to be a part of it. In the same way people who have never stepped on a skateboard would happily wear a skate brands t-shirt to get some of the associated cool that it brings.

Brands in cycling don't seem to be particularly important for the real enthusiasts – who genuinely care about function over form. Some of the best bikes i've ever ridden have logos that i'd never want anywhere near my t-shirt.

anyhoo just my 2 cents…

A.

NagsNog
    Free Member

t's the obsessive keyboard kit-fwappery that defines the 'geeks', and that's what makes mtb 'uncool' – middle aged, middle class, middle england blokes posting about esoteric niche bikes, £500 coffee pots and mortgage woes whilst correcting each others punctuation & spelling and all the time pretending they're part of some sort of 'scene' or 'online-community'………

Hilldodger wins….. 😀

proven by the fact people are now arguing over what Geek means….. 🙂

stonemonkey
    Free Member

That charge marketing bullshit thread… that was me that was. dont forget Howies too.

clubber
    Free Member

I think that all the UK bike designers should meet up somewhere central and have a big geek-scrap. The last one standing then can safely say that he (I don't know of any shes) makes the best bikes. Job done and all the handbags can be put down.

MTBing and cycling in general is a geeky sport, like it or not – something to do with the combination of individual (rather than team) effort and techincal equipment that geeky types love. Occassionally some people/groups transcend the geekyness if only temporarily (fixie, DH, FR) but that's rarely a long term thing.

user-removed
    Free Member

whilst correcting each others punctuation & spelling

Surely, "others" should be graced with an apostrophe…..".

Grammar matters too. I'm just saying….

ourmaninthenorth

If you exchange 'geek' for 'nerd' – what you're saying totally makes sense.

FFS.

toons
    Free Member

To me this came across as you been jealous “He makes steel hardtails and titanium hardtails and that’s it” and “what Brant does is great and what Charge does is ‘marketing bullshit’ and compare it to Howies”

Re-reading, perhaps jealous is a bit strong, but you totally went off on one with that last reply!

BTW I thought the interview was great and I really enjoyed reading it.

mdb
    Free Member

Many aspects and disciplines of cycling are geeky / nerdy. Its part of being in the tribe. It is also what deters (sometimes offends) others from getting into cycling. Cycling is primarily driven by the sport / enthusiast base.

In my view this is one of the biggest barriers to more people cycling.

brant
    Free Member

I think it's the rain, myself.

F-StopJunkie
    Free Member

I think there's two issues here.

Like photography, I find that mountain biking feeds both the tech part of my brain and the soulful bit too. When I'm buying a bike I'm looking at machined bits, geometry, disc brake mounts, and then thinking 'that's rather cool.' As a purchaser you buy into that image, be it Charge, Cotic, Bontrager or Yeti. You can't help but think "I'm buying a Lapierre, I'm being different!"

I can't say that I've ever seen a Charge that excites my tech brain like a Ragley or proper Klein does. They're good, don't get me wrong, but they lack that shock and awe. I then see a brown leather saddle, or the cohesive design across all their parts, and it becomes desirable. I like the image, I just can't get enthused about the design.

The fact that Charge makes hipster bikes, or parts in varied colorways, makes no more difference to me than Specialized making the Langster when I'm considering a Pitch.

What Nick/Charge do *very* well is creating bicycles and parts which fit an overall image and sell well to the public. Charge as a brand, and as a range, could sit very easily in big department stores where others couldn't. If that means that 'geeks' don't see them as a proper bike brand, is that a bad thing? How many of us have had friends and colleagues say "I'm thinking of buying a bike, what would you recommend?"

For me, though, bikes for riding. Then image. In that order.

toons
    Free Member

Surely the biggest barrier is laziness?

lapize
    Free Member

I don't own a Cotic or a Charge bike, but for me the Cotics look cool and look like you could ride them for hours a day. The Charge bikes do neither. What is with that plain gauge tubing? That makes me a geek, I guess.

I do have a Charge Spoon saddle mind you. Very happy with that.

Cool, geek and nerd are all states of mind.

Why would anyone want to make mountain biking attractive to non-cyclists anyway? If they're non-cyclists, we shouldn't really give a $hit what they think about our sport/hobby.

vinnyeh

Why would anyone want to make mountain biking attractive to non-cyclists anyway? If they're non-cyclists, we shouldn't really give a $hit what they think about our sport/hobby.

😯

Why not?

naokfreek
    Free Member

They don't get it and should all be thrown in the sea.

Why not? Because if they're "non-cyclists", trying to entice them to become cyclists/riders on the premise that it's "cool" is getting them into it for the wrong reasons.

brant
    Free Member

If they're non-cyclists, we shouldn't really give a $hit what they think about our sport/hobby.

Largely agree.

I must need my bumps feeling or something, as I'm increasingly agreeing with Mike a lot.

Either that or I'm "growing up" 🙁

I'm working on a considerably more mainstream brand relaunch right now, which will still be "mountain bike" but a lot more "normal" than stuff I've done before.

NagsNog
    Free Member

Why not? Because if they're "non-cyclists", trying to entice them to become cyclists/riders on the premise that it's "cool" is getting them into it for the wrong reasons.

I wrekon probably half are already in it cos they think its cool…i see them all the time….

Then there are those who get into something because they think its cool and then really get into the sport..but the initial clincher was the COOL BIT ..is that not ok Mike…there are lots of customers to be gained that way…and good marketing tempts them….

Then there are the likes of me who just love outdoor sport and bikes

Junkyard
    Free Member

try it on people who dont cycle – I include pople who only go to trail centres in this as I want to widen the argument out to include arguing about what cycling is as well as whether it is geeky or nerdy 😉 🙄

Want to spend a grand on a bike that you cannot ride up the hills because they are too steep. You cannot ride down them because it is too scary, technical or dangerous. You will be cold , wet, muddy and injured from crashing …..not many people jump at the chance for some reason…. I dont get it either what's not to like about it ?

chunkychew
    Free Member

This is a great thread.

Upfront I have to say that I haven't read the article. However, I have never understood why the majority of posters on this forum like/love/get On-one/Ragley, Cotic and Dialled bikes, but don't like/love/get Charge. After all, they share many similarities. I wonder if it is purely based on a snap reaction to Charge's marketing and the fact they make fixies? If that is the case for some, then I find it sad. I'd hope people were no more inclined to completely disregard a brand based purely on marketing they didn't like than buy a bike based purely on marketing they did like?

If you don't like a bike after you have ridden it, then fair enough. If you don't like several bikes made by a brand then maybe you will never like that brand. Fair enough. (I feel that way about Cannondale).

As for Charge (or anyone) making "trendy fixies", who cares. Why dislike a brand for doing it? Different strokes for different folks, and the more people riding bikes the better eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘That Nick Larsen Interview’ is closed to new replies.