Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • That new Marin Hawk Hill…
  • dogthomson

Finally! An affordable, upgradable full-sus that doesn’t appear to have a fatal flaw that oh so many entry level bikes appear to have.

I’m tempted! Looking forward to hearing a review of sorts.

MoreCashThanDash

It got my attention. Not that I’d want to get rid of my hardtail. Voluntarily.

maxtorque

Fatal Flaw? Like having square wheels, or brakes discs than are actually made of mini cheddars?

That sort of thing?? 😉

dogthomson

Haha, no maxtorque, more like bad geometry, crap forks, wheels made of cheese etc.

chestrockwell

Interested also as another maternity period may require a cheaper option for 9 months or so.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do tell us more about these fatal flaws?. I have no idea what you’re on about.

prawny

If I could have waited in would have been very tempted, but no release date, no geo info yet and no reviews. It looks mint, but I can’t see it being much if any better than the Bossnut or Boardman (boardmen?)

andyl
    Free Member

1×10 running 11-42 on a deore rear derailleur is odd in a production bike as its outside of the recommended cassette size for the derailleur. Must be something like a sunline cassette too.

superstu
    Free Member

Looks promising to be fair, and far less ugly than some of the bikes they’ve produced in recent years. Decent spec for the price.

dogthomson

More info over at Bikerumour here.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I best sell my flawed anthem and 5 to buy one of these..
    But should I keep my 1×11 as surely that’s an improvement over 1×10, or is it a case of more is less?

Ok 5 isn’t entry level

Mackem

STW says Sektor fork, the above says Recon.

woodster

Yeh, but the picture on STW shows a Recon too so guess that was a mistake. Quite a big difference isn’t it?

Still seems decent for the money though. Like the wide range cassette and wide wheels on a cheaper bike.

andyl
    Free Member

Sektor is 130/140mm isnt it? I assumed it was similar to the Recon just different travel like the Reba is the Revelation.

Mackem

Yeah, still good for the money but I’d immediately be after a better fork (unless they’ve improved a lot)

prawny

Recon = cheap reba
    Sektor = cheap revalation

Don’t see too many Revs specced these days though, Pike has taken over that end, I’d forgotten about them to be honest, so they even still make them?

chestrockwell

Plenty of bikes still come with revs. Most of the longer travel ht’s I’ve been looking at have them.

dogthomson

More coverage over at Dirt here.

mountainman

Reads good and tidy price point at £1100.

chestrockwell

Yep, like the look of this.

coomber
    Free Member

Like the look of this

Reckon its a good challenger to the vitus escarpe

asbrooks

Yeah, looks good for the money. listed at £1100, wonder what it’ll drop to after 6 months or so?

prawny

I’d be surprised if they don’t all sell out with the hype.

The cheap full suss bikes the mags hype up are an absolute PITA to get hold of, I had a bit of a game getting a Rock rider 8.1 a few years agof, swapped it for a Bizango now trying to get eutter a Calibre Bossnut or Boardman Team FS.

The way it’s going these will be out before I get either, I might end up stumping up the extra. Now, where’s my nearest Marin dealer…

dogthomson

Well… I’ve taken the plunge today and put a deposit on one, due in early August. Exciting!

cokie

Great value for money! Makes you wonder what the mark up is on bikes like the Aidrop Edit. The frame is a generic catalog frame with some geometry tweeks, yet it’s £750 without a shock. This reminds me of a 2016 version of the Spec Pitch. This could be a great winter FS.

thepodge
    Free Member

I had a 1998 Marin Rift zone, if I remember correctly that also cost £1100

From this… 1998

To this… 2016

dogthomson

Still waiting to hear when these will be arriving, can’t wait! Anyone else preordered one?

twisty

Hawk Hill circa 1996. Bought the frame with cro-mo ‘marin-lite’ forks 2nd hand.
    Snapped the forks on my first ride.
    Replaced with Z2 Bombers, worked quite well for a few years until I found there was a crack growing on the chain stay where the brace/mudguard mount is welded.
    Interesting to see how much the bike has evolved from a steel rigid to an Aluminium full sus.

asbrooks

Sorry to drag this one up. But did anyone get one? I’ve just noticed that tredz have them listed Hawk Hill. Has anyone ridden one yet? Not sure whether to get one or something in the sales.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Saw one of these in my LBS today and it looked really good, wouldn’t have guessed it was on the budget end.

asbrooks

@Mr adequate. Where’s you LBS. No one seams to stock them East Mids way. I’m weighing up whether to go for the Hawk Hill or the Boardman pro, I’d like to try before I buy.

chilled76
    Free Member

I had one of the yellow ones circa 1998, completely different bike obviously but same name.

Rode like an absolute peach, proper springy cromo frame. Cracked one and Marin kindly replaced it, the replacement cracked in exactly the same place.

First ever proper mountain bike

andytheadequate
    Free Member

It was Holy Spokes in Leeds, they had what looked like a medium or large on display. They have a website but not sure if they deliver, might be worth ringing them if you’re interested.

asbrooks

Well it seems that the Boardman pro is in limited stores too.
    I’m leaning back to the Marin as it’s available on the ride to work scheme. I can get £400 of the price.

dirtydog
    Free Member

1×10 running 11-42 on a deore rear derailleur is odd in a production bike as its outside of the recommended cassette size for the derailleur. Must be something like a sunline cassette too.

Thought exactly the same, no Goat Link or Radcage either 😕 , just waiting for an influx of “Marin Hawk Hill my gears are slipping and it’s only a week old” threads.

Sunrace cassette.

I’m leaning back to the Marin as it’s available on the ride to work scheme. I can get £400 of the price.

Put some of it towards an 11 speed rear mech and sell the 10 speed one that’s on it.

asbrooks

Put some of it towards an 11 speed rear mech and sell the 10 speed one that’s on it.

Dropper post too!
    I think that’ll end up swapping parts over from my hardtail. It’s running a rad caged slx 10 speed mech. I have a new 11speed shifter and cassette that I got in the pre xmas sales.
    One thing I don’t like, is the crankset. It uses some weird BCD, getting an oval ring will be tricky. I’ll probably end swapping it for the one on the hardtail.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘That new Marin Hawk Hill…’ is closed to new replies.