Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • That meteor on Sunday night?……
  • somafunk

That meteor on Sunday night?…………I was sitting in my chair reading rouleur, big window in front of me that is western facing and all of a sudden something catches my eye blazing across the framed window and by the time i look up and focus i just catch the last few seconds of it as it passes over from a southerly direction – i have to admit my jaw dropped as i initially had the thought of Not **** fireworks for mothers day, that’s taking the **** piss but as soon i focused on it i could see this was no **** firework – I’ve camped up in the galloway hills and on the top of the merrick (dark sky park) in the depths of winter with the most amazing clear and starry nights and spent hours disappearing into the milky way above but i’ve never saw a meteor so close and with so much of a fierce burning tail behind it.

It was over in a few seconds but Wow!…… 😯 .

Anyone else spot it?

racingsnail
    Free Member

Yep I saw it, didn’t know what the hell it was, though it was a plane going down

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What I want to know is how the hell do people mistake it for a distress flare?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Didn’t see that one but spotted this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHYjzQTavI (not my vid btw).

I was half cut as it passed over the house, I thought it was a chinese lantern or similar before I realised it was travelling far too fast for one.

By the time my brain had engaged it was over before I had chance to film it, very impressive.

I often see shooting stars but I’ve never seen anything as stunning as that and I doubt I ever will again.

racingsnail
    Free Member

I think because it gone by so quick you don’t really know what you’ve seen, my first thought was flare but it was way too bright and didn’t last long enough.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Cycling over Vinesend/Storridge one night with Mike the Biking Lycan, we saw a large meteor much like that, heading directly North away from (us so looked as if heading vertically down) – and right before it disappeared it split in two, perfectly, becoming two new mini-meteors shooting off at at 45 degrees outwards, like an upside down ‘Y’. Was open-mouthed it was ace.

scaredypants

you lot won’t be so happy when you start to remember what the aliens did to you

racingsnail
    Free Member

you lot won’t be so happy when you start to remember what the aliens did to you

It’s the Triffids what worry me

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Darn…missed it!

Got this on saturday night…

Waderider
    Free Member

I was working, outdoors, at a dark location on the shores of Loch Ness and I didn’t spot it. Gutted!

CountZero

Seen a couple like that, last for a couple of seconds, with a long, distinct tail behind. Always feel a bit privileged to have seen them.

Drac

Got this on saturday night…

Ain’t stars brilliant!

somafunk

I think the fact that it had a clearly visable burning head and the sheer size of it as it burned through the atmosphere made me initially think “Shit!…..WTF was that?” , although my imaginative brain immediatly shouted “Meteor!!!!!….it’s a **** huge meteor 😯 ,my rational brain thought “Nah……must be something else” but then I thought what else could it possibly be?.

Was pretty cool to have seen it, even for those few seconds, would it have burned up?, hit the earth?, or just skimmed through the atmosphere?.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘That meteor on Sunday night?……’ is closed to new replies.