Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • That Lifeline tubeless track pump
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Is it any good? It’s half the price of the competition (£52.50) so what’s the catch? I need to replace my track pump and I find my ghetto tubeless inflator a bit fiddly and annoying to use (I appreciate that someone is going to recommend it anyway lol).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-airblast-tubeless-tyre-track-pump-black-one-size/

shermer75
    Free Member

The competition being:

Lezyne

Topeak

Bontrager

Although that Bontrager is reduced to £75- so maybe that’s worth the extra £20??

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I too get bored with the mess and faff of my ghetto inflator so bought this very pump!

It’s OK. The tank isn’t very big is my criticism. 29 x 2.35 tyres need at least a couple of ‘thumps’ to get them on. Similar on 27.5 x 2.2s. However, the pump is really good and fills the tank to 200+ psi in a few strokes so it’s pretty easy to prime, release, prime, release and your tyre’s on. The little flip lever on the valve to switch between tank and tyre makes it so easy.

TiRed

Renkompreesor and An Airshot here. Both are excellent. I’d prefer a better cover to mount the Airshot onto the pump for when I use both, but otherwise very happy indeed.

I’m unconvinced by the merits of a single pump/reservoir.

richmtb

I’ve got one branded Airwave that looks identical. It works pretty well.

Its kind of crappy as a standalone track pump for a mountain bike because it’s high pressure rather than high volume. The gauge is pretty useless for normal pressures too. But as a device to seat tubeless tyres it works pretty well. Although in hind sight as I already have a good track pump and Airshot might have been a better buy.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Never failed to inflate any tubeless with my cheap 20 quid Airace track pump, you just have to put the effort in and pump hard and fast.

zippykona

Never failed to inflate any tubeless with my cheap 20 quid Airace track pump, you just have to put the effort in and pump hard and fast.

Are you preared to take the On One Floater , On One fat wheels challenge?!

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I’ve got to return my compressor after a very long term loan so following with interest….!

jimdubleyou

I, like you, was previously dismissive of others puny attempts to inflate tubeless when I had never had any issues.

Until I did. Then I bought an Airshot.

peekay

The Wiggle one is identical to this one from Planet X, bar it having different brand stickers.
    Planet X one is only £39.99.

It seems good quality for the money, seems unusual that the ‘chamber’ that gets pressurised also includes the hose, with the release valve on the hose head. Doesn’t cause any problems though.

Edit. Link…. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBATUPU/barbieri-tubeless-220psi-pump

joemmo
    Free Member

I have the airwave branded one, it works for road and MTB tubeless. It is a bit weird that the airchamber releases air when you take the head off after normal pumping but doesn’t seem to affect the tyre pressure.

I, like you, was previously dismissive of others puny attempts to inflate tubeless when I had never had any issues.

Until I did.

oh so true 🙂

bruceonabike
    Free Member

The Wiggle one is identical to this one from Planet X, bar it having different brand stickers.
    Planet X one is only £39.99.

SOLD OUT

Until I did. I’m sure I will meet my tyre Nemesis eventually, until then bring it on! 😈

shermer75
    Free Member

Good to know that the Airblast isn’t very good as a standalone trackpump- I am very much looking for one that is! So maybe the Bontrager is the one for me…

mickyfinn
    Free Member

I’ve got the Airwaves branded one and it works. I don’t have any issues using it as a standard track pump either. Good all round and well built/good quality

daern
    Free Member

The most stubborn tyre I’ve ever had defeated my track pump, 3 cans of CO2 and a friend’s compressor. In the end, I left it inflated with a tube in for 3 hours, then carefully removed it and managed to get it inflated…

…and it leaked like a bloody sieve 🙁 This wheel now runs a pair of lightweight inner-tubes and I’ve written it off for tubeless.

My takeaway is that if a wheel is that hard to get blown up, it will probably be rubbish for tubeless anyway.

Northwind

The combined pump/can things seem a good idea til you realise they’re mostly more expensive than an airshot and a decent track pump, for something that generally doesn’t do either job as well. (and chances are you already have a track pump)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Although that Bontrager is reduced to £75- so maybe that’s worth the extra £20??

Bontrager one is crap as a standard pump though, so you still need another trakpump for regular use

no idea if thats the case with the Lifeline one

joemmo
    Free Member

Good to know that the Airblast isn’t very good as a standalone trackpump- I am very much looking for one that is! So maybe the Bontrager is the one for me…

I’ve had no problems using it as a track pump at all.

iian
    Free Member

Using the Airblast for the last few months.

Works great as a tubeless pump, never beaten yet across maybe 12-15 tyres. Only once did it take more than 1 blast to seat a tyre, got on second.

Perfectly fine as a track pump. If you’re super fussy on pressures, you maybe need a separate digital gauge to get accurate numbers, but you’d still save buying the pump and a gauge vs buying any of the bigger brand alternatives. Plus CRC/Wiggle will be good for warranty should anything ever happen.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m sure I will meet my tyre Nemesis eventually, until then bring it on!

The problem isn’t pumping faster, if it doesn’t go up on the first stroke with a track pump, it’s probably not going to work. Compressors* solve this by supplying a constant stream of air to blow the bead/sidewalls up the rim even if there’s a gap.

*the nuclear option, why faff with £80 track pumps when you can have a 50l compressor for less.

shermer75
    Free Member

I went with the Bontrager, I’ll let you know how it goes!! 🙂

zippykona

Minus points with compressor are space taken up and they are all bloody noisy at 11pm when you have to do that last minute fettling.

Del

eh?
    not really. the wee ones use refrigerator pumps these days, so aren’t noisy at all.

theboatman
    Free Member

I have the BETO from Merlin at £42, seemed a bit of unnecessary purchase when I got it. But having a life where time phaffing equals less time riding, this has been worth every penny. Seems absolutely bombproof to, think I’ll be handing it on to my kids when I’m brown bread. You need a 160 psi rated track pump to power it up, and it’s never failed for me yet.

zippykona

not really. the wee ones use refrigerator pumps these days, so aren’t noisy at all.

I wasn’t aware of that , can you link one please.

legend
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    Bontrager one is crap as a standard pump though, so you still need another trakpump for regular use

Attach to tyre, pump until needle points where you want it, disconnect from tyre. Never really seen the issue

ac282

I have the bounty one. It’s a crap track pump. You have to pressurise the chamber as you inflate the tyre so it requires far more effort than a normal pump.

DezB
    Free Member

The Beto looks a damn site better deisgned than the fall-over-drag-it-across-the-floor-piece-of-crap-kick-it-its-fallen-over-again-damn-bastard-thing ahem, Airshot.

theboatman
    Free Member

Think road cc noted the BETO is more than 4x heavier than they airshot, not that this stops me slinging it in the car for biking trips. Having knocked it over a couple of times, the rather protected placement of the valve is a bonus to.
    Can you not zip tie the airshot to a trackpump?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware of that , can you link one please.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/ultra-quiet-air-compressors/

Not as cheap as normal, but they are incredibly quiet.

If you setup an ebay search for bambi compressors they pop up fairly often as that’s what dental surgeries use.

jimdubleyou

The Beto looks a damn site better deisgned than the fall-over-drag-it-across-the-floor-piece-of-crap-kick-it-its-fallen-over-again-damn-bastard-thing ahem, Airshot.

You could always tape it to your track pump for a “ghetto” fancy pump look.

DezB
    Free Member

I use my track pump without the Airshot more than with it, so would make it a slightly more cumbersome item with a blue cannister permanently attached… hmm… maybe I’ll try it 😆

TiRed

I’d like some velcro straps on the Airshot cover to tape to my pump. Then it would be perfect. The Airshot just works.

firestarter
    Free Member

Are you preared to take the On One Floater , On One fat wheels challenge?!

Bah!! I got a well used 3.8 nate to seat and inflate in a marge lite rim, both non tubeless. Using gorilla tape and a ratchet strap and my track pump

But then I am awesome 🙂

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I’d like to further my review from above about the Airwave AirBlast (rebranded as various other pumps mentioned here).

Using it last night. Pumped the ‘tank’ up and it gave up with a ‘pffft’ of disappointment. It now won’t ‘push’ any air, it just squirts it out of the foot. So there’s a seal gone somewhere. I’ve not taken it apart to see how permanent it is but if it’s happened once…

It’s 4 months old and had regular use. I’m sure CRC will have it back for a warranty assessment but I may also be able to fix it myself without the hassle of the return postage.

I’ll update this thread with the results either way.

joebristol

I bought this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/airwave-airblast-tubeless-tyre-track-pump/rp-prod142714

Looks to be the same generic one branded as a few different names.

Used it for the first time the other night and it was great. Mounted one brand new 27.5 x 2.5 Minion DHF and one used 2.3 Minion dhr2. The dhf went up first time perfectly, the dhr2 took a 2nd blast to fully seat the beads with a huge bang. First time I’ve ever played with tubeles and it seemed very simple.

As a track pump it seems ok – fairly comparable to my TopeakJoe blow 2 (which has just failed). Both don’t have a great scale on their gauges for low pressure tubeless setups. Got a rough guess at about 25psi…I’m toying with getting a digital gauge to check more accurately. But it probably doesn’t make that much difference as I’m hardly a great rider!

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the one that’s just given up with me. OK when it was working but a seal has gone now after 4 months use.

joemmo
    Free Member

I have the same Airblast branded one, had it for a year used for tubeless and a general pump and no probs so maybe you got a duff one?

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Yep, I’m not saying they’re all going to do this but disappointingly, mine looks like a return to sender job:

The tube joining the ‘tank’ to the rest of the gubbins has split. As someone said earlier, the tube forms part of the pressurized container rather than being just a momentary transferer of that pressure from tank to tyre.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘That Lifeline tubeless track pump’ is closed to new replies.