Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • That last trip to the vets..
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

😥

One of the hardest things in life is letting go of it.
    Sleep well old boy.

[/url][/img]

anagallis_arvensis

😥

Good luck

theotherjonv

I posted on Uggski’s similar thread, will do the same here. It’s the letter I think he’d write you if he could.

Mate;

I know that was hard for you, but thanks. I was struggling and I couldn’t go on. I’ve tried to keep up appearances for you but I couldn’t any more, so when it was time, thanks so much for doing what you had to do. I know it’ll make you sad, but try not to be; you’ve been the best owner I could have wished for and today just proved it.

Think of the good times we had together and remember me as the strong fit dog that i was. And when time has healed, do one more thing for me. Give another dog the chance you gave me, so they too can know what it means to be cherished.

Thanks for everything.

Dog.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

🙁

bodgy
    Free Member

😥 Massive sympathies. Lost one of our beloved mutts recently.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

🙁

They dont last long enough.

Mate;

I know that was hard for you, but thanks. I was struggling and I couldn’t go on. I’ve tried to keep up appearances for you but I couldn’t any more, so when it was time, thanks so much for doing what you had to do. I know it’ll make you sad, but try not to be; you’ve been the best owner I could have wished for and today just proved it.

Think of the good times we had together and remember me as the strong fit dog that i was. And when time has healed, do one more thing for me. Give another dog the chance you gave me, so they too can know what it means to be cherished.

Thanks for everything.

Dog. 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

@theotherjonv – lovely that.

@cloudnine – you do the best you can for them and sad though it is, that includes letting go. Eight years down the line and I still miss my old dog. That last trip damn near broke my heart but if I hadn’t done it I’d have been keeping him for my benefit and not his and that would have been wrong. A bit dusty in here.

cinnamon_girl

😥

wwaswas

sorry to hear that cloudnine 🙁

Scarcat67
    Free Member

What a handsome looking chap ? What was his name ?

RIP !

cloudnine
    Free Member

He was called Fish
    14 year old Lab.. so pretty ancient in Lab terms.

He had terrible hip dysplasia complicated by arthritis from walking funny.. and has been in varying degrees of pain for the last 8 years.
    As old, blind and crippled as he was.. he was still my best mate in the world.

toby1

*dustyEyes*

Good dogs don’t die, they just move out to live on a farm!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Dear god why do I click on these threads? 🙁

Deepest sympathy

JAG

We lost our best friend 10 years ago but you never forget…

Reading this has brought it all back and I feel very sad for you both.

myopic
    Free Member

😥 Our Lab will be 12 soon. Still fit and healthy but she is really slowing down. I dread the day… Tough, but I am sure you did the right thing by Fish

IHN

Condolences chap, he’s a handsome fella.

sweepy
    Free Member

Sorry mate

uggski

he was still my best mate in the world.

I don’t know why I clicked on this I knew it would bring it all back. Mine was my best mate as well. Went through loads together.

No words will really help right. They just don’t live long enough. Very dusty in here.

Wookster

What a Beautiful chap mate! He looks so happy and loved. It’s the awful thing that we have to do because we love them so much. Still remember my last trip…and dred the next one. But every day they’re with us is a joy we wouldn’t swap!

He’s happy and healthy now playing with lots of others and looking forward to huge cuddles when he sees you next.

Alphabet

I’m sorry for your loss. That letter up there is lovely.

Kuco

🙁

boriselbrus
    Free Member

So sorry for you.

We’ve just got an 18 month old black lab called Jak. He’s my first dog and we’ve only had him a week and already I can’t imagine life without him. Very dusty in here at the moment…

fossy

RIP.

Big dog lover here, grew up with them. My wife cats.

But as we were both out at work, I got two cats after we were married. Both went on until 16/18 years old, and we ended up with a third from my daughter’s friends, when they were 10.

Roll on a bit, and the first two have passed away, and the kitten is now 10. Wife spots a pedigree on facebook and has to have him. A year on and he isn’t so small now, he is bigger already than the big torty… she is just over 5kg, and he can grow as big as 6-9 kg..

He is still a kitten but is massive and as fast as ****… !

Ragdoll cats are supposed to be indoor, he isn’t. Came in yesterday with a 3 foot twig stuck to him…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I shouldn’t click on these threads but I do, because I know how awful it feels to go through that.

Still wish someone could show me that final kindness when my time comes but we only do it for our 4 legged friends.

ton

molly is sat looking at me, probably thinking ‘why is that big lump sat crying’.

feel for you mate, hardest thing i have ever done was taking my old lad Brock.
    my wife will have to take this lady when the time come.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22FQpGj]2017-12-21_08-48-07[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry that you have lost Fish

Beautiful dog

jontykint
    Free Member

We have always had labs, and had a 15 year old gone last summer, we had our mourning then got another, but then the new pup went to have the op at 7months old and never woke up.
    That was bloody hard telling my son at 5 years old that his only brother wasn’t coming home after school.

I found this and sent it to my wife.
    It was sent to Chuck Jones of Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner fame from his uncle

————————————

Dear Peggy and Dorothy and Chuck and Dick,

I had a telephone call last night. “Is this Uncle Lynn?” someone asked.

“Why yes,” I said. “My name is Lynn Martin. Are you some unregistered nephew?”

“This is Teddy.” He sounded a little impatient with me. “Teddy Jones, Teddy Jones the resident dog of 115 Wadsworth Avenue, Ocean Park, California. I’m calling long distance.”

“Excuse me,” I said. “I really don’t mean to offend you, but I’ve never heard you talk before—just bark, or whine, or yell at the moon.”

“Look who’s talking,” Teddy sniffed, a really impatient sniff if ever I’ve heard one. “Look, Peggy and Dorothy and Chuck and Dick seem to be having a very rough time of it because they think I’m dead.” Hesitate. “Well, I suppose in a way I am.”

I will admit that hearing a dog admit that he was dead was a new experience for me, and not a totally expected one. “If you’re dead,” I asked, not being sure of just how you talk to a dead dog, “how come you’re calling me?” There was another irritated pause. Clearly he was getting very impatient with me.

“Because,” he said, in as carefully a controlled voice as I’ve ever heard from a dog. “Because when you are alive, even if the kids don’t know exactly where you are, they know you’re someplace. So I just want them to know I may be sort of dead, but I’m still someplace.”

“Maybe I should tell them you’re in Dog Heaven, Teddy, Maybe to make ’em feel—”

“Oh, don’t be silly.” Teddy cleared his throat. “Look, where are you?”

“Oh, no, you don’t. We’re trying to find out where you are,” I barked.

“Hey, I didn’t know you could bark.” He sounded impressed with my command of the language.

“Wait just a minute,” I said. “You had to know where I am, or you couldn’t have called me on the telephone, right?”

“Boy, you know so little,” said Teddy. “I simply said I called you long distance. Who said anything about a telephone? They asked me if I knew where you were, and I said you were someplace else, besides 115 Wadsworth Avenue. So they dialled someplace else and here I am and here you are.”

“Can I call you back?” I asked dazedly. “Maybe that’ll give me a clue.”

“Be reasonable,” said Teddy. “How can you call me back when neither you nor I know where I am?”

“Oh, come on, give me a clue,” I begged desperately. “For instance, are there other dogs around there? I’ve got to tell the kids something.”

“Hold it,” said Teddy, apparently looking around. “I did see a pug/schnauzer with wings a minute ago. The wings could lift the schnauzer part of him off the ground, but the pug part just sort of dragged through the grass bumping into fireplugs.”

“Fireplugs?”

“Orchards of them, hundreds of ’em. Yellow, red, white, striped. Unfortunately, I don’t seem to have to pee anymore. I strain a lot, but all I get is air. Perfumed air,” he added proudly.

“Sounds like Dog Heaven to me,” I said. “Are there trees full of lamb chops and stuff like that?”

“You know,” Teddy sighed. “For a fair to upper-middle-class uncle, you do have some weird ideas. But the reason I called you was Peggy, Dorothy, Chuck, and Dick trust you and will believe anything you say, which in my opinion is carrying the word ‘gullible’ about as far as it will stretch. Anyway, gullible or not, they trust you, so I want you to tell them that I’m still their faithful, noble, old dog, and—except for the noble part—that I’m in a place where they can’t see me but I can see them, and I’ll always be around keeping an eye, an ear, and a nose on them. Tell them that just because they can’t see me doesn’t mean I’m not there. Point out to them that during the day you can’t see the latitudes and you can’t really see a star, but they’re both still there. So get a little poetic and ask them to think of me as ‘good-dog,’ the good old Teddy, the Dog Star from the horse latitudes, and not to worry, I’ll bark the britches off anybody or anything that bothers them. Just because I bit the dust doesn’t mean I can’t bite the devils.”

That’s what he said. I never did find out exactly where he was, but I did find out where he wasn’t—not ever very far from Peggy, Dorothy, Chuck and old Dick Jones.

Sincerely,

Lynn Martin, Uncle at Large

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss. Easy for me to say but it will get easier with time . Miss my springer, Heidi who has been gone 2 years now. You’ll have your memories of adventures that you’ll look back on.

Take it easy.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I think i’m going to have to ask the vet for something for me too when I have to take my little terrier in for the last time. She is 12 now but hopefully she’s got a good while yet.
    So sorry for you OP, hope the memories of the good times get you through.

bruneep

😥

dread the day I have to do this

bazhall
    Free Member

RIP Fish 🙁

Sorry for your loss cloudnine. I’ve said goodbye to couple of my best furry mates and it ain’t easy, the last was Corrie who passed away last year a couple of days after I visited him at my mums. It’s starting to get a bit dusty here.

granny_ring

Sorry for your loss OP, that ‘letter’ from the dog made the eyes water a tad. Still miss our cat Felix after 3 years gone.
    I can’t recommend the Blue Cross helpline enough, really helped us over the first few months.
    All the best.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Brutal.
    I was 19 and my family dog ‘Ben’ was 18. I’d never known a day without him.
    Worst day ever for me. I doubt I’ll be that upset ever again (I’m married and I’ve got kids!)

On a lighter note;
    My Mother had a horrible Jack Russell and asked me to do the deed for her. I hated that dog and it hated me (and everyone else apart from her). She was very upset, so I said I’d take him. She gave me £120 and the dog on its lead. “£120?” I said, “You’re joking! That’s expensive…”
    She must have seen cogs ticking in my head as I walked down her drive.
    She shouted “And come back later with the receipt.”
    I’d happily have introduced it to my spade and then buried it in my garden, such was our mutual loathing. Clearly my Mother had noticed this too!

zanelad
    Free Member

Over the years we’ve had to do this 5 times. I sit in the waiting room bawling like a baby. Mrs Z goes into the surgery with them, but I just can’t face it.

You know it’s for the best, but it is a tough thing to do. I doubt she’ll be as upset when I go.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sorry to read that mate.

wiggles
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss 🙁

I have my first dog and he is nearly 2, grew up with loads on family farm etc and was hard enough when one of them was gone cant imagine what It will be like when the one that lives with me goes 🙁

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘That last trip to the vets..’ is closed to new replies.