Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • That Cannondale Slate.
  • dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Mmmmmmm looks interesting.

Not sure about the purple cranks on the top end one though. Can’t decide if I like that look or not. Over all though, looks like it could be good and has probably moved to the top of my N+1 list.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

looks good

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Still wish they went down this route again.

peteimpreza

Wish they had made it 29″/700c.

johnny63

^^^ this – prototypes seemed to have the 700c wheels but this 650 just means more wheels, more tyres etc – I know they have their theories behind it but think they’ve missed a trick

apart from that…what’s not to like !

Rorschach
    Free Member

Big selection of 35-45c 650b tyres to choose from 😕

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Yeah there is the tyres issue. I thought about that but then really, how many tyres do you need? One decent set of slicks and maybe something with a bit of nobble on it for the winter.

Given that the 650b with 45c profile is supposed to be the same as a 700c with 23c tyres then in theory you should be able to run 700c wheels with a skinny tyre if you wanted to but that seems to defeat the object.

matt_outandabout

Chunky – I am with you. That is my perfect commute bike.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Big selection of 35-45c 650b tyres to choose from

If we’ve learnt one thing from the last few years’ excitements, it is that no new wheel size is held back for long by a lack of tyres.

😀

johnnystorm

Wide range of 35-45c 650b Tyres in the last French Hypermarket I visited.

DezB
    Free Member

Just been looking at this myself, wondering is I should’ve got for this instead of the Tripster.. jeez! Something’s giving me Tripster doubts and I haven’t even built it yet! *punches self in face*

Looks fab in the Ultegra version…

Or is it the return of the short-lived Silk Road?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

The bike for people who want to ride roads without having to “road-ride”

The most all-around capable “road” bike we’ve ever made

Both those statements would make me want to avoid that bike like the plague.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well kudos to them for ripping up the rule book, but I think it looks appalling.

Not saying it doesn’t have a useful purpose for anyone though.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Yeh it looks nice and all that and I can see the appeal but the most capable road bike they’ve ever made – I don’t think so. And its for people who want to ride roads but don’t want to road ride – sorry but wtf is that supposed to mean? Is it aimed at mountain bikers who can’t get over themselves?

matt_outandabout

May I refer this thread to this thread?

DezB
    Free Member

Balls to the marketing – you can see what it’s for! I can imagine tanking over the rough shitty roads on my commute, no worries about the potholes, take the odd offroad section.
    It’d be blimmin great.
    (Yes, Matt. The ultimate gnarmaccer (After the Kinesis!))

johnnystorm

/Sets reminder for 12 months time to look on Pauls Cycles for one.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

^^^ lol

Think it’s gopping. However, that yellow one with the headshock is gawjuss wants it lots.

DezB
    Free Member

I KNOW! Cannondale have totally missed the mark here – they’ve tried to make road riding FUN! Now, that ain’t ever gonna work 😆

Spin
    Free Member

To my mind that is both pointless and gopping.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like this thing, wheels are too small but I get why they did it.

As is, deffo an N+1 on my list, should I want another..

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Might stick a Lefty on my SuperX

bigrich

get a bad boy 1, save a shed load of cash.

Lifer
    Free Member

Someone who rode it enjoyed it:

Road.cc

If I had the readies I’d get one, think it looks fun!

Daffy

So, it’s a Mountain bike with drops? Right?

slowjo
    Free Member

That is one Fugly bike.

kerley
    Free Member

The perfect bike for my use (combination of 30% road / 70 % easy off road)

I found that when using a cross bike some of the rougher off road sections were awful so that minor bit of suspension combined with a a good sized tyre would be just the job.
    The fact it has gears is such a negative that I would probably never get one but I too will be looking at Paul’s in 12 months time and if they are £1300 would be very tempted.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

big difference between that and the tripster – the tripster is beautiful titanium…

Klunk
    Free Member

that cracknfail looks like it would great with some nice riser bars

Sanny
    Free Member

Having been one of the very few folk to have ridden the Ultegra version, I reckon that I might be able to add to this thread. I was a bit sceptical about the wheel size choice but once I rode it, it just made sense. Drop the hammer and it positively flies while if you want to keep your speed up, it feels no different from a regular road bike. It has the edge on my Tripster although it would be good to ride them head to head.

The frame is incredibly comfortable. I used to own a Caad 3 cross bike which did its best to batter me senseless but the Slate feels more like carbon than aluminium.

The Lefty fork really takes the edge off on the pave and to my mind looks fantastic too.

Is it better than my Tripster? Hmmmm. It’s a very tough call but on first acquaintance, it definitely gives it a serious run for its money. I REALLY want one!

allfankledup

Fugly

Should have gone 700cc

Imho

eddiebaby
    Free Member

^ 700cc would be a big motor for that frame.

Ben_H

These all seem to be listed with March 2016 availability online – anyone have any other info?

I had one of the first F-series Lefty-equipped hardtails back in 1999, so this has certainly caught my eye. 😉

onandon
    Free Member

I spoke with a main cannondale dealer and they are all listed for March 2016. They said NO CHANCE of getting them in any sooner.

AlexSimon

Dropper Post Compatible – Nothing inspires confidence like a dropper post, and with 27.2mm diameter posts and internal dropper routing, it’s an easy upgrade to make.

Erm – most companies refer to ‘Dropper Post Compatible’ when they move away from 27.2!

Edit: Just seen the prices – I’ll be checking paulscycles.co.uk in a year’s time 🙂

13thfloormonk

So, it’s a Mountain bike with drops? Right?

This ^ I’ve just gone round the houses basically looking for a CX bike for winter but remembering the state of my wrists after riding CX last winter (to be fair I think it was damage done by one big crash that just got aggravated by riding rigid on the hoods or in the drops).

Long story short, I want a CX bike with suspension and the Slate appears to be the only off the shelf model on the market, shame I can’t afford one 🙁

wwaswas

I think a Slate with a Dropper could be an ideal bit of everything bike.

Damn them.

honourablegeorge

Can’t believe someone looked at that hideous thing with the purple cranks and thought they’d made the wrong decision by going for a Tripster.

Like waking up beside Olivia Wilde and thinking “I should have gone home with Katie Hopkins”

kerley
    Free Member

Can’t believe someone looked at that hideous thing with the purple cranks and thought they’d made the wrong decision by going for a Tripster.

I would take a Slate over a Tripster. You can keep Katie Hopkins though.

richardthird

Compass Switchback Hill 650b x 48c will be perfect for this. Almost worth buying the bike just to use those tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘That Cannondale Slate.’ is closed to new replies.